The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

FWIW, 500 quid a week (before tax) is about 26k per year @ 12.50 for a 40 hour working week

Minimum wage for 21+ is 10.18, so about 21k per year on 40 hours

I don't think I could see someone moving from the south of England for less than they could make working a semi-skilled part time job supplemented by part time fitba in the Van-Halen conference south for Flotsam Gingerbury Athletic

Edited by mugen_power

2 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

FWIW, 500 quid a week (before tax) is about 26k per year for a 40 hour working week

Minimum wage for 21+ is 10.18, so about 21k per year on 40 hours

I don't think I could see someone moving from the south of England for less than they could make working a semi-skilled part time job supplemented by part time fitba in the Van-Halen conference south for Flotsam Gingerbury Athletic

If your dream is to play football and you don't have the brain for anything else, getting paid minimum wage to train for two hours a day and play on a Saturday is better than stacking shelves. 

If you are doing it part time and are offered a chance to train full time, have all the advantages of sports science tracking you, all to make you a better player and realise your dream of being a professional footballer, most people would jump at it if their personal circumstances were right. 

It suited Dipo up until A. he was tempted by the promise of more money & B. His partner moved home because they couldn't settle. 

I suspect that we were maybe paying more or at least picking up rent for them.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I suspect that we were maybe paying more or at least picking up rent for them.

Probably got him a base spec Mercedes C-Class, Audi A4 or BMW 3-Series on a PCP deal, since that's how all the ballers do it :lol:

14 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I always get nostalgic when someone posts a pic of Glynn Hurst. Reminds me of my 1st game at Somerset with my dad, uncle and cousins. Sure it was a shite 0-0 and I was more excited about getting treated to a chippy tea by my uncle afterwards, but I was buzzing to see Glynn play in person and I also got Jim Dick's autograph that day 🤣 Great memories and a great player 

My first shirt was the Strachan's one. My mum got me it whilst I was in the hospital. I predicted the Ayr score before going under anesthetic for my operation 😅 woke up to a new Ayr shirt (Which I point blank refused to take off during my Chemo 😂)

It's strange how much memories of Ayr united mean to fans 😊 

From the Andy Walker penalty. The anxiety of the last twenty additional minutes against Hibs in the semi final. Winning the league after Alloa and Raith drew. Mark Roberts goal against Hibs and Alan Forrest taking the ball off the Sevco keeper for his goal......

We've had some fantastic times as Ayr fans. I just wish we could get a couple more decent players in, get a bit of excitement going and create some more great Ayr united memories. I'd love my son to talk about these sort of things in twenty years time 😊

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Utilities costs are a massive part of the expenditure , travel costs are not cheap either , wages will be nearer 30% of income I would think , when running multi million pound shops before retiring our wages budget was only 8% of income 

Shops are completely different to service industries like entertainment. Ayr's "product" is its players and almost all of the expenditure on them shows up as wages rather than costs. Travel and energy bills are also essentially flat across the SPFL, or lower league clubs literally wouldn't be able to afford to fulfil their fixtures. There's no way whatsoever that anything less than 70% of the club's outgoings are on wages.

23 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you are doing it part time and are offered a chance to train full time, have all the advantages of sports science tracking you, all to make you a better player and realise your dream of being a professional footballer, most people would jump at it if their personal circumstances were right.

Michael Moffat, located in the salubrious London suburb known as Girvan, didn't jump at it until the age of 27.

Akinyemi freely admitted on his Twitter that he was doing a second job delivering takeaways before he went to Ayr. It's still a huge, massive upheaval, especially if you're not single. There was a massive chance it wouldn't work out. People are not perfectly rational actors in an environment of 100% information.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

BTW to distract from the past few pages of keech - what was your first Ayr United top?

The centennial. All of the letters on the sponsors have worn off and because I wore it playing fives every week for about eight years it has that peculiar dank smell that you can never get out of t-shirts. It now lives permanently in my sock drawer where it can't infect the rest of my shirts.

Edited by Thumper

56 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

My first shirt was the Strachan's one. My mum got me it whilst I was in the hospital. I predicted the Ayr score before going under anesthetic for my operation 😅 woke up to a new Ayr shirt (Which I point blank refused to take off during my Chemo 😂)

It's strange how much memories of Ayr united mean to fans 😊 

From the Andy Walker penalty. The anxiety of the last twenty additional minutes against Hibs in the semi final. Winning the league after Alloa and Raith drew. Mark Roberts goal against Hibs and Alan Forrest taking the ball off the Sevco keeper for his goal......

We've had some fantastic times as Ayr fans. I just wish we could get a couple more decent players in, get a bit of excitement going and create some more great Ayr united memories. I'd love my son to talk about these sort of things in twenty years time 😊

Football related memories are great. It's funny how things to do with Ayr United - and football in general - stick in our minds. There are some football related reminiscence activity groups aimed at people living with Dementia, which I think is a brilliant idea because:

1) football means so much to so many people

2) memories to do with football are shared by so many people. I don't know who most of the Ayr fans on here are in real life, but it's guaranteed that we will remember a lot of the same matches and players because watching them has been an experience we have shared.

3) Prior to what I'm doing now (mental health nursing at university) I worked with people who were living with Dementia. Even people who could not remember what happened two minutes ago were able to talk at length about football. That's because their football related memories are so deeply imbedded that not even a horrible disease of the brain like dementia can take them away.

My 12 year old nephew started going to games two years ago, and he already has some great memories of Ayr United. Dipo's goalscoring exploits, beating Killie at Rugby Park to give a couple of examples. 

I talk to him about Ayr United matches, teams and players from the 2000s and 2010s in the same way my Papa used to talk about the players, teams and matches from all the years he was a fan. It makes me feel old, but it's a nice thought that I'm carrying on what my Papa did by passing on all the Ayr United folklore to a new generation of fan.

As a fan growing up in the late 2000s/2010s, my positive Ayr memories are very light.

Chris Smiths header in Paisley, the last minute winner at Brechin, the final day in 2018 and Readings winner at the Girodome are all honourable mentions.

But I don’t think anything comes close to the period of time when we were turning up on a Saturday and dishing out ruthless pumpings without breaking a sweat in the Shankland/McCall days. We’d scud someone 5-0 for fun then just go home like nothing happened and it was normal. Halcyon days.

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

Michael Moffat, located in the salubrious London suburb known as Girvan, didn't jump at it until the age of 27.

Akinyemi freely admitted on his Twitter that he was doing a second job delivering takeaways before he went to Ayr. It's still a huge, massive upheaval, especially if you're not single. There was a massive chance it wouldn't work out. People are not perfectly rational actors in an environment of 100% information.

That would make sense as to why he came to Ayr but also why his head was turned as readily by a better offer. Would also probably make the family settling less of an issue as he doesn't have the luxury of previous earnings to fall back on 

This was my first top:

539hCwnRMUrRciu.thumb.jpg.0d249a2e3c45f899e9e0ed193a622406.jpg

I have so many fond memories of that first season, never mind the wee (cups) journey we were about to go on in a few years.  

Beating Killie at Rugby Park in the Coca Cola Cup. 

Beating Killie at Somerset in the Ayrshire Cup just after they won the Scottish Cup. 

League title ding dong with Hamilton.  The game at Motherwell in particular.  

Getting car sick going to Boghead 😂

Not being allowed to go to Berwick and going to my Killie supporting uncle's wedding instead.  Guys at the bar were checking Teletext for me.  

I feel old this morning now 🤣

5 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

As a fan growing up in the late 2000s/2010s, my positive Ayr memories are very light.

Chris Smiths header in Paisley, the last minute winner at Brechin, the final day in 2018 and Readings winner at the Girodome are all honourable mentions.

But I don’t think anything comes close to the period of time when we were turning up on a Saturday and dishing out ruthless pumpings without breaking a sweat in the Shankland/McCall days. We’d scud someone 5-0 for fun then just go home like nothing happened and it was normal. Halcyon days.

I grew up in the 2000s and a big chunk of that time was absolutely devoid of positive Ayr United memories. Getting scudded by teams like Alloa and Cowdenbeath and having teams who - no disrespect to most of the players involved - were Junior quality at best and nowhere near good enough.

If it wasn't for the horrible times, the good times would not be so important to us though. Hopefully there are some more good times this season.

7 hours ago, Thumper said:

There's no way whatsoever that anything less than 70% of the club's outgoings are on wages.

The season before last (which is the last with published accounts) salary costs were just over 80% of turnover. I suspect that's pretty standard, otherwise you're spending more than you can afford.