The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Would be nice to think we could compete with Dunfermline for his signature 🤔

IMG_20230720_093812.jpg

I was wondering what Ayr United players had previously played at a World Cup prior to joining Ayr? I've got Steve Archibald and Alan Rough (albeit both were at the end of their careers when they signed for Ayr) and I can't think of anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was wondering what Ayr United players had previously played at a World Cup prior to joining Ayr? I've got Steve Archibald and Alan Rough (albeit both were at the end of their careers when they signed for Ayr) and I can't think of anymore. 

france98gill.jpg

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

This was my first top:

539hCwnRMUrRciu.thumb.jpg.0d249a2e3c45f899e9e0ed193a622406.jpg

I have so many fond memories of that first season, never mind the wee (cups) journey we were about to go on in a few years.  

Beating Killie at Rugby Park in the Coca Cola Cup. 

Beating Killie at Somerset in the Ayrshire Cup just after they won the Scottish Cup. 

League title ding dong with Hamilton.  The game at Motherwell in particular.  

Getting car sick going to Boghead 😂

Not being allowed to go to Berwick and going to my Killie supporting uncle's wedding instead.  Guys at the bar were checking Teletext for me.  

I feel old this morning now 🤣

This shirt is on ebay at the moment £90 or best offer.

https://dunnottar.scot/ayr-united-home-1992-93/

The Bird kak shirt and others available at this site. Actually not bad replica shirts tbf. Was thinking about buying the 1990 Centrum one.

Just wish they would do a replica of the 2002 semi final shirt, I'd wear that constantly.

6 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

As a fan growing up in the late 2000s/2010s, my positive Ayr memories are very light.

Chris Smiths header in Paisley, the last minute winner at Brechin, the final day in 2018 and Readings winner at the Girodome are all honourable mentions.

But I don’t think anything comes close to the period of time when we were turning up on a Saturday and dishing out ruthless pumpings without breaking a sweat in the Shankland/McCall days. We’d scud someone 5-0 for fun then just go home like nothing happened and it was normal. Halcyon days.

Very similar for me. The great memories are few and far between. I missed the high 2nd tier finished and cup runs that came in the early 2000's by a couple of seasons. When I started going to games the club was clearly in a dire place. I wasn't really aware because I was so young - I just loved walking around the terraces following the action hoping we might win for once. In hindsight, absolute shite was the norm.

The season where we were going for the title with Raith (2008/2009 I think) was my first experience of an actually 'successful' season. We would win most weeks and it was a strange feeling. I remember being gutted when we lost the title but can still vividly remember going onto the pitch at full time with my Dad after we beat Airdrie in the play offs. Obviously we ended up yo-yoing for a number of years but I remember that day so well, it was very special. That day in Brechin was also incredible.

But like yourself, nothing comes close to the 17/18 title winning season and the electric start we had to the championship the season after. I remember that promotion and the following summer really feeling like, this is it, we're no a yo-yo team anymore, we're here to stay. Thankfully, that's just about still the case. Long may it continue.

Edited by AuAl

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

How can you be so sure of this and what then would that calculate our average wage to be?

Genuine question.

A football's club product is effectively payroll, its the team. There are very few regular businesses that are comparable in that regard. Every club's single biggest expenditure is payroll.

In terms of the 70% - Financial Fair Play is supposedly bringing in a cap whereby player payroll is capped at 70% of turnover.

It's hard to know for our club as we don't publish the detailed data. The top league has clubs running at rates of 80%+ through to mid 60%. There are some exceptions to this but broadly that covers it. Again that is only player payroll (so won't include non-football staff).

In this league you'd have to check certain clubs, Partick publish more detail. They ran at 75% to year ended of May 2022 (that's total payroll so not just the footballers). Given they were a bawhair from running out of money this season I'd imagine that has gone up. I'm sure Dundee United ran at well over 100% last time in the Championship as they wanted back out (they had a loss of £3.8m or something like that).

Any shareholders of the club will know as they get an Income & Expenditure statement and can do the calculation. 

46 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Would be nice to think we could compete with Dunfermline for his signature 🤔

IMG_20230720_093812.jpg

These are the sort of players we should be looking at imo. A bit of quality that can go straight into the starting 11. 

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

These are the sort of players we should be looking at imo. A bit of quality that can go straight into the starting 11. 

We'll get some jobber from the 9th tier in England and enjoy it. 

43 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Miller hired as Canada soccer coach - Sports Illustrated

Colin Miller went to the 86 world cup with Canada, managed them for a spell as well. Played for Ayr in the late 90s

image.jpeg.c53ddabe91ba7d84a100c99d36652ad0.jpeg

Bruce Murray scored in USA 94, his parents stayed in Troon. He was one of Stainrods united nations signings where he signed 8 players from different countries in one day. Don't think many of them lasted more than one game. 

Arthur Albiston - IMDb

Arthur Albinson was at the 86 world cup, Played for Ayr under Burley at the age of 36, Richard Cadette absolutely roasted him on his debut and he was freed by Stainrod on his first day. 

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Colin Miller went to the 86 world cup with Canada, managed them for a spell as well. Played for Ayr in the late 90s

Bruce Murray scored in USA 94, his parents stayed in Troon. He was one of Stainrods united nations signings where he signed 8 players from different countries in one day. Don't think many of them lasted more than one game. 

Arthur Albiston - IMDb

Arthur Albinson was at the 86 world cup, Played for Ayr under Burley at the age of 36, Richard Cadette absolutely roasted him on his debut and he was freed by Stainrod on his first day. 

There's been more than I thought there would be then. All of them before my time following Ayr United. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Arthur Albiston - IMDb

Talking pish

image.jpeg.149ae160c093422da9475f5234ff629b.jpeg

Niclas Nyhlen - Swedish international, absolute class player, Signed on a short term deal during the Swedish close season. Ayr couldn't afford him. He went back to Malmo. 

Bruce Murray - Just fucked off

Regis Gorges - Classy winger, stayed for maybe a year

Claudio Valletta - Italian centre half, was ok, fucked off overnight and didn't pay his hotel bill. Pre-mobile phone era

Frank Rolling  - French centre half, sold to Leicester after a year

Jullian Dow - English forward signed from Athletico Marbella, On arriving in Ayr, Stainrod collected him from the Airport/Train station directly to McKays pub in Troon and asked him to tell Stainrods girlfriend that she was dumped. 
He was shite and lasted a few months, then slagged the club off.  

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

There's been more than I thought there would be then. All of them before my time following Ayr United. 

We have had a few former players that have become international managers, Miller, Michael O'Neill, George Burley and Ally McLeod

Richie Williams was the USA assistant as well. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We have had a few former players that have become international managers, Miller, Michael O'Neill, George Burley and Ally McLeod

Richie Williams was the USA assistant as well. 

Lee Bullen will continue this trend when he is appointed Brazil manager ahead of the next World Cup. 

28 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I don't doubt the guys pedigree or ability but I don't think we need another central midfielder, if that's his preferred position.

No point paying above average money when it can go in other areas that do need upgrading.

He watched Dunfermline's game the other night apparently and I wouldn't have thought relocating to the West Coast would be high on his priorities at this stage of his career either, so I think that's where he'll likely end up.

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Talking pish

image.jpeg.149ae160c093422da9475f5234ff629b.jpeg

Niclas Nyhlen - Swedish international, absolute class player, Signed on a short term deal during the Swedish close season. Ayr couldn't afford him. He went back to Malmo. 

Bruce Murray - Just fucked off

Regis Gorges - Classy winger, stayed for maybe a year

Claudio Valletta - Italian centre half, was ok, fucked off overnight and didn't pay his hotel bill. Pre-mobile phone era

Frank Rolling  - French centre half, sold to Leicester after a year

Jullian Dow - English forward signed from Athletico Marbella, On arriving in Ayr, Stainrod collected him from the Airport/Train station directly to McKays pub in Troon and asked him to tell Stainrods girlfriend that she was dumped. 
He was shite and lasted a few months, then slagged the club off.  

Frank Rolling went for decent money did he not? He was a touch of class in an otherwise dire team if I recall.