The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Iain said:

Must be approaching three years now since the club last signed a full back?

Not quite. Signed Blaine Rowe in January 2022. 

I think if it comes down to it we’ll sign a right back before we sign a left back. 

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m in total agreement that he’s poor and badly needs replaced, but this repetitive schtick you have of him always having been rubbish is getting boring. Just weakens the legitimate argument that he needs binned.

Don't really care if the truth bores you tbh.  

Folk coming out with total nonsense will get corrected.  

I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that Paddy looks better with Murphy. The stark reality is that we haven't played a team that should lay a glove on us. As harsh as that is, we've been playing lower league opposition up until now. Wait until the Championship starts back up and every team attacks us down the left (again).

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that Paddy looks better with Murphy. The stark reality is that we haven't played a team that should lay a glove on us. As harsh as that is, we've been playing lower league opposition up until now. Wait until the Championship starts back up and every team attacks us down the left (again).

Yeah, one decent game means absolutely nothing - hopefully he backs it up against a better standard of side tomorrow night. 

A redemption arc is possible but it feels vanishly unlikely. How he got a 2 year contract last time I'll never know.

On redemption arcs more broadly  - McGinty is one of the few players I have properly loathed with their terrible performances to turn it around. He still has his moments but he's more of a Stevie Bell than Murray Henderson now.

I don’t recall anyone moaning when he got his new contract. He was deserving of a new deal and whilst he had a poor last season you can’t rewrite history and make out that his whole time here has been poor. 

Just a quick glance at Weymouth's Twitter provides that they really rated the lad Rose....and were all gutted he left...

So fingers crossed he is a decent striker and fills the gap left by Dipo....

He even has his own song apparently...

Screenshot_2023-07-24-18-41-04-62_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Edited by OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton

Depends what our ambitions is. If it's 5th-7th transition season then RB is less of an issue if Watret gets opportunities to develop and McAllister/Hewitt can come in and out when required.

Not sure that Murphy being in front of him fixes Reading ball watching or failing to defend the backpost which is his main faults.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t recall anyone moaning when he got his new contract. He was deserving of a new deal and whilst he had a poor last season you can’t rewrite history and make out that his whole time here has been poor. 

I'm pretty sure I did. He also didn't have a good season then, it started with him getting turned inside out by a geriatric Chris Burke and didn't really improve. He maybe had a good final quarter with the goal away to Killie being the highlight. He used to be better going forward which made a chunk of the support more forgiving of his defensive frailties but they were always there.

Edit - even thinking back did he not cost us 2 goals in the game at Cappielow where we were down to 10 men but 2 nil up with 10 minutes to go, only to lose 3-2.

Edited by Trogdor

16 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Just a quick glance at Weymouth's Twitter provides that they really rated the lad Rose....and were all gutted he left...

So fingers crossed he is a decent striker and fills the gap left by Dipo....

He even has his own song apparently...

Screenshot_2023-07-24-18-41-04-62_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Do Weymouth have a good RB we could pinch?

6 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Depends what our ambitions is. If it's 5th-7th transition season then RB is less of an issue if Watret gets opportunities to develop and McAllister/Hewitt can come in and out when required.

Not sure that Murphy being in front of him fixes Reading ball watching or failing to defend the backpost which is his main faults.

We really need to follow McCalls method and have more than half a dozen players that are 7/10 every week plodders, like Murdoch for example. A player that you expect to extend every year without too much worry. 
Then supplement that with 1-2 named signings every year and 1-2 wild cards & youth players you hope will be good.

Full backs aren’t sexy and if you have two decent full backs, you aren’t likely to lose them. 

We maybe have 4 players who contribute a 7/10 most weeks which is far too low. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm pretty sure I did. He also didn't have a good season then, it started with him getting turned inside out by a geriatric Chris Burke and didn't really improve. He maybe had a good final quarter with the goal away to Killie being the highlight. He used to be better going forward which made a chunk of the support more forgiving of his defensive frailties but they were always there.

Chris Burke strolled through every game he played that season so it’s not fair to single Reading out for the roasting he got that night. 

From memory, since Reading signed he’s had a poor run of a few games but always recovered and finished the  season quite well. Last season he didn’t recover and finished it worse off than what he started. 

Whilst he’s under contract I’m prepared to give him a chance but Bullen seems aware that we might need to sign a left back at some point this summer.