The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

36 minutes ago, AllySloan said:

Reckon Rose will be involved tomorrow night?

Probably off the bench, Bryden and McKenzie have both done ok so far in pre-season so deserve to start at least.

Ashford, McGeady and Rose will all need game time though. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Chris Burke strolled through every game he played that season so it’s not fair to single Reading out for the roasting he got that night. 

From memory, since Reading signed he’s had a poor run of a few games but always recovered and finished the  season quite well. Last season he didn’t recover and finished it worse off than what he started. 

Whilst he’s under contract I’m prepared to give him a chance but Bullen seems aware that we might need to sign a left back at some point this summer. 

Burke didn't, that's the biggest misnomer there is about that season. He did f**k all in most of the games to the point the killie fans were frustrated. He was on the bench or didn't even make the squad more times than he was in the starting 11.

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

Probably off the bench, Bryden and McKenzie have both done ok so far in pre-season so deserve to start at least.

Ashford, McGeady and Rose will all need game time though. 

I wouldn't say anyone has done enough to deserve to start, all about getting our best team on the park now and getting them playing together IMO. We need to balance that with not overloading the likes of McGeady too soon though. I would start them both, try and get 45 minutes into McGeady and 60 into Rose. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Burke didn't, that's the biggest misnomer there is about that season. He did f**k all in most of the games to the point the killie fans were frustrated. He was on the bench or didn't even make the squad more times than he was in the starting 11.

Yup, absolutely this. I don't think he was even fit for half the season. 

I'm sure Reading won Young player of the year (as voted by the fans) and if my memory serves me right 99% of the outrage from fans which was directed at the Full back position went the way of Houston and not Reading.

Perhaps the shortcomings of Houston merely masked the shortcomings of Reading, however I'm also pretty sure that if we're thinking Reading isn't up to it then we can't be thinking that either Hewitt or McAllister ARE, based on what we've seen of them to date.......

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I'm sure Reading won Young player of the year (as voted by the fans) and if my memory serves me right 99% of the outrage from fans which was directed at the Full back position went the way of Houston and not Reading.

Perhaps the shortcomings of Houston merely masked the shortcomings of Reading, however I'm also pretty sure that if we're thinking Reading isn't up to it then we can't be thinking that either Hewitt or McAllister ARE, based on what we've seen of them to date.......

I'm pretty certain @GaryMc93 already debunked the bold bit previously when you said that. Unless you've changed it to account for his fact checking?

Paddy undoubtedly had a pretty disappointing season, but with him and and and Finn there I would very shocked if we signed a LB if Finn moves on its a possibility, RB is now the priority to fill McAllister can do a job but he lacks a yard of pace even though he gives 100% every game, Hewitt seams a really nice guy but against Partick at Firhill in the playoffs I don't think I have seen a player more out of there depth, 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm pretty certain @GaryMc93 already debunked the bold bit previously when you said that. Unless you've changed it to account for his fact checking?

It wasn't me that previously mentioned it, maybe D'jaffo ??

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Whilst he’s under contract I’m prepared to give him a chance but Bullen seems aware that we might need to sign a left back at some point this summer. 

According to Thistle fans we nearly landed Holt before Dundee United gazumpted us ,so Bullen seems to understand left back is an area of concerned .

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

In fairness it wasn't him that said it previously but it's true Reading has never won the official one, which is voted for by fans. No idea if he's got one from a supporters club at some point but that wouldn't mean much.

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don’t think I’ve ever claimed that. Always presumed it was Sinisalo, Maxwell and then Dempsey won it last year. 

Edit: Just seen it was McKenzie that won it in Readings first season. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

Is it any wonder Ayr players form dip...

With the horrendous amounts of criticism and abuse they get from the terraces....

Usually totally over the top ...

When I played and got abuse from the side or my team mates my head would go down and I would play worse...

When I got encouragement and support I played better ...

Just a thought.

Not sure if it was mentioned before but Akheem Rose was on trial with us and played as a trialist in a few games. He looked okay, nothing special. Could tell he wouldn't cut it at Premiership level but nothing in there to doubt that he'd do okay a step down.

Just now, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Here is a thought what ever happened to James Maxwell?

He seemed to disappear, never to be heard of again...

He's doing pretty well at Doncaster, last I heard. Funnily enough playing in his natural position of left back. I often wonder why we never played him there.

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Apologies, I genuinely thought it was. Maybe it was Bucky? 

Spoiler

Neither of you may be pleased with me confusing you.

47 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Chris Burke strolled through every game he played that season so it’s not fair to single Reading out for the roasting he got that night. 

From memory, since Reading signed he’s had a poor run of a few games but always recovered and finished the  season quite well. Last season he didn’t recover and finished it worse off than what he started. 

His early performances were getting him into national squads. It’s pure revisionism to say he’s been shite since day 1. 

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Maybe he should use his glasses next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5FsadHcoVA

The Reading situation is unfortunate but hopefully he has someone who tells him never to read social media. On the other hand maybe someone is also advising him to wear ear plugs to avoid abuse from the stands, which would also explain a few things.

New striker woo. maybe just a bit better tactics and a squad which wasn't really a one-man band might do good things. Funny how things change.

Edited by Thumper