The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Funnily enough someone else asked earlier. Guess the highlights look a bit strange without the hospitality suite sitting there. 

Cheers.

Who's paying for that, have you managed to find yourselves a sugar daddy?

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Cheers.

Who's paying for that, have you managed to find yourselves a sugar daddy?

David Smith, our owner, is also MD of Ashleigh Construction so he’s building the whole thing out of his own pocket. 

He built the Somerset Hub last year which holds the new club shop, couple offices and a bar with beer garden. He’s trying to give the club revenue streams to try and help us become as self sustaining as possible. The bar at the hub is certainly popular and I think they’re planning for the hospitality on offer to be one of the best in the top two flights. 

6 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I wonder if the new stand is going to have space to facilitate TV cameras/studio

Given the pittance they pay us to broadcast the games, they can get what they're given. That would have been the first thing I cut out the new stand when costs escalated.

11 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Sorry but did Mutch literally just pass it to their centre forward who had nobody within 15 yards after the first goal?

Aye was a bit mad.

One thing I noticed was that Mutch was every bit as quick and direct at getting the ball out his hands and into the forward players as Albinson is. Besides that moment his passing was quite good. Think he’ll suit the team more than McAdams whose distribution left a lot to be desired. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

David Smith, our owner, is also MD of Ashleigh Construction so he’s building the whole thing out of his own pocket. 

He built the Somerset Hub last year which holds the new club shop, couple offices and a bar with beer garden. He’s trying to give the club revenue streams to try and help us become as self sustaining as possible. The bar at the hub is certainly popular and I think they’re planning for the hospitality on offer to be one of the best in the top two flights. 

Best of luck to you then, hope it all turns out well. Having said that, I hope you're not thinking of redeveloping the whole ground? Like most folk, Somerset was always one of my favourite away days due to being able to stand in a proper old football ground. Would be good if you could keep the rest of it intact.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

One thing I noticed was that Mutch was every bit as quick and direct at getting the ball out his hands and into the forward players as Albinson is. Besides that moment his passing was quite good. Think he’ll suit the team more than McAdams whose distribution left a lot to be desired. 

The highlights were also very a) wow Reading is in a great forward position and b) wow Amartey is everywhere.

Haters lounge getting uncomfortable right now!

Edited by Thumper

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Given the pittance they pay us to broadcast the games, they can get what they're given. That would have been the first thing I cut out the new stand when costs escalated.

Your guys did tell me they were getting a media room. I've taken over a room in the press box at Alloa and it is a godsend especially in cold winter weather. I'd assume included in the plan there is somewhere that is designated for a gantry. It would be bizarre in this day and age and with your ambitions of getting into the premiership that you wouldn't consider broadcasting needs. Something like Firhill at the back of the stand is nice but obviously not great for your fingers - a void shouldn't cost that much.

image.png.a9f1d043a5d410a87cb8401416ed0907.png

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

Your guys did tell me they were getting a media room. I've taken over a room in the press box at Alloa and it is a godsend especially in cold winter weather. I'd assume included in the plan there is somewhere that is designated for a gantry. It would be bizarre in this day and age and with your ambitions of getting into the premiership that you wouldn't consider broadcasting needs. Something like Firhill at the back of the stand is nice but obviously not great for your fingers - a void shouldn't cost that much.

image.png.a9f1d043a5d410a87cb8401416ed0907.png

I was referring to the BBC Scotland guys rather than the media at every game. I actually replied to the suggestion of a studio. BBC games on a Friday night must be close to costing us money with the drop off in attendance (dependent on the away team).

Just now, Thumper said:

The highlights were also very a) wow Reading is in a great forward position and b) wow Amartey is everywhere.

Haters lounger getting uncomfortable right now!

We were absolutely battering Alloa down our left side with Reading putting in a performance that Andy Robertson would be pleased with. To the point where I didn’t think Amartey was going to be doing much. He’s a better player than anyone thought he was going to be. He’s fast but knows exactly how to use his pace and is quite comfortable with both feet.

If he can start adding goals to his game then his contract situation might need looked at. 

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Best of luck to you then, hope it all turns out well. Having said that, I hope you're not thinking of redeveloping the whole ground? Like most folk, Somerset was always one of my favourite away days due to being able to stand in a proper old football ground. Would be good if you could keep the rest of it intact.

Cheers. I think this the only major surgery that’ll get done. Smith being a lifelong fan means that he wants to keep a lot of the stuff that makes the place historical. Saying that I think there’s a lot of stuff that could do with being renewed just to make the old place look nicer. The main stand is a bit dilapidated and it would be nice if the outside of the SRE didn’t look like a prison wall. I had hoped that we would be able to do something with the ground behind the Railway End but apparently the ground is owned by a big German company and they’ve effectively priced us out of buying it. Smith said last year that he’s got a few projects in mind and if I had to guess I think he’d want some sort of training facility set up that we could use alongside other local groups and make a bit of money off of. Nothing as fancy as the likes of Celtic or Rangers but the club have had issues in the past of getting a regular base for training especially since we moved it back to Ayr from Glasgow. 

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I was referring to the BBC Scotland guys rather than the media at every game. I actually replied to the suggestion of a studio. BBC games on a Friday night must be close to costing us money with the drop off in attendance (dependent on the away team).

Undoubtedly costs money on a game by game basis but you get a bigger cut of the Premiership prize money because the TV deal all gets split in the same pot.

Club TV are also contractually down pecking order when it comes to gantry access (which is perfectly fine when they give you the BBC Scotland feed) and on that note I don't see a gantry in the plans.

https://publicaccess.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/online-applications/files/C8BD0984D275B74D6150975A0B91C426/pdf/22_00589_APP-APPROVED_-_Proposed_Ground_Floor_Plan-1027034.pdf

Of course you'd assume that once that end is finished they can swap over and start developing the other side. There's plenty of scope for that if wanted later but in the near future your camera positions are going to be left to improvisation.

image.thumb.png.83dace8633c629a2f43f7ef5397f6ece.png

20 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

It was something that Smith talked about when he took over, Ayr is often voted the best away day and there is a reason for that. There would need to be a fine balance between a modern football experience and retaining the charm of Somerset. 

The terrace behind the goals will be untouched and the side terrace at the away end (stand side) will also remain. The majority of the north terrace will remain but will be covered. Any lost standing capacity will be replaced by seating capacity on the north terrace. 

32 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

On a strictly per matchday there is likely to be a drop off in attendance. Though in balance to this probably bonus saying to kit supplier and sponsors etc that we will have some games on live tv. Not saying it is an amazing deal but the exposure of having 20 championship games on free to air tv does count for something. I have friends of teams not in our league that just have general interest in Scottish football so often watch as doesn't clash with other games. 

6 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Ooft don't think i've seen Somerset so crisp on YouTube

Maybe @wuffster or @LeodhasXD can explain but how come that footage is so much better than the stream when one of the angles looks like it's from the same camera?

Not since wuffster did the highlights anyway.

First thing I notice is you've got HD cameras but your stream is only 720p 60fps. The native resolution will be 1080p I assume.

There's software encoding going on somewhere for the stream to send it to it's final destination ie vmix to your endpoint.

There also might be some encoding on the capture device going into Vmix and your computer (although mine gives me the uncompressed output I do also have a backup which compresses the feed into it and has two inputs if I really wanted more than one camera)

The output of the camera might give you a rubbish image. I don't know what you exactly guys are using but they are old panasonic models. I'd imagine they are fine as they are big broadcast cameras but size is usually just space for features you don't need.

The amount of data you send to a stream is usually charged. Some clubs want their costs to be minimal and so cut the quality further.  I always use this as a rough guide. (ours has a bitrate limit and we can't stream more than 1080p 60fps and 6mbps unless we configure it differently. I've had this conversation on the Falkirk thread that I'd rather buy better equipment to stream 1080/60 than jump to the prohibitively expensive 4k).

So streaming at 2-6mbps, but recording however, I think my camera is on a 50mbps setting so it's lots more information to make it sharp. That's what your highlights are being edited on.

56 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Club TV are also contractually down pecking order when it comes to gantry access (which is perfectly fine when they give you the BBC Scotland feed) and on that note I don't see a gantry in the plans.

I'm assuming that the TV room (next door to the media room) is intended as the primary camera location, given that it's got a sight line to the nearside corner flag marked on that plan? One of the other planning docs also appears to show a different window setup for that room, which looks like it would allow them to fully open without restricting the movement/field of view of a camera. 

https://publicaccess.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/online-applications/files/FE5C5A46CD085C09EEAD73AA986AE33C/pdf/22_00589_APP-APPROVED_-_General_Elevations-1027039.pdf

1 minute ago, AlMacD said:

I'm assuming that the TV room (next door to the media room) is intended as the primary camera location, given that it's got a sight line to the nearside corner flag marked on that plan? One of the other planning docs also appears to show a different window setup for that room, which looks like it would allow them to fully open without restricting the movement/field of view of a camera. 

https://publicaccess.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/online-applications/files/FE5C5A46CD085C09EEAD73AA986AE33C/pdf/22_00589_APP-APPROVED_-_General_Elevations-1027039.pdf

Good point, hadn't noticed that detail. Still, off centre a little. Which I don't mind too much but the TV people specifically want as central as you can get.

Wonder where they'll stick away TV then. 

For "sacrificing" two home games per season for TV that went into the general prize pot, which Ayr's share was over £500k last season.

Ayr hosted Dundee and QP on the TV in the league last season, the attendances for both those games were 432 down and 178 up on the corresponding fixtures. So even at a generous £25 a head it cost Ayr a total of £6,700, which they would have made up in uplift from having the electronic advertising hoardings.

It was well worth it for Ayr 

14 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

For "sacrificing" two home games per season for TV that went into the general prize pot, which Ayr's share was over £500k last season.

Ayr hosted Dundee and QP on the TV in the league last season, the attendances for both those games were 432 down and 178 up on the corresponding fixtures. So even at a generous £25 a head it cost Ayr a total of £6,700, which they would have made up in uplift from having the electronic advertising hoardings.

It was well worth it for Ayr 

That's a horrifically imbalanced calculation.

You don't specify the income we get but you mention the general prize pot of £500k. A prize pot that just so happens to be determined in no small part by league position. TV money goes in there, how much of the £500k is TV money? More specifically how much relates to the BBC Scotland TV deal? From memory it's less than £10k per annum per Championship club. Most of the money goes to top league clubs as all the TV money is split in the same way.

The second half is nonsense as well. The equivalent fixture has no bearing on the next one. You can use it as a proxy but suggesting we gained fans by moving the Queens Park game to Friday for TV is just a nonsense.

The BBC Scotland TV deal is marginal at best for Scottish Championship teams.

Edit - Just to reinforce the point, if the BBC Scotland TV deal ceased to exist, the Championship teams would all lose <£10k of income. Not £500k! 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Trogdor

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Seen this at the Q&A but obviously didn't have the chance to really study it as it was only projected.

When you actually look at it in more detail, it's a tad disappointing just how few seats in the new stand there will be for home fans. 112 seats for hospitality and a significant away seated section as well. 

I'd have thought there would be a lot of people looking to move to the new stand to avoid the obstructed view of the pillars in the main stand but not that much availability it seems as I thought there would be.

6 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Not since wuffster did the highlights anyway.

First thing I notice is you've got HD cameras but your stream is only 720p 60fps. The native resolution will be 1080p I assume.

There's software encoding going on somewhere for the stream to send it to it's final destination ie vmix to your endpoint.

There also might be some encoding on the capture device going into Vmix and your computer (although mine gives me the uncompressed output I do also have a backup which compresses the feed into it and has two inputs if I really wanted more than one camera)

The output of the camera might give you a rubbish image. I don't know what you exactly guys are using but they are old panasonic models. I'd imagine they are fine as they are big broadcast cameras but size is usually just space for features you don't need.

The amount of data you send to a stream is usually charged. Some clubs want their costs to be minimal and so cut the quality further.  I always use this as a rough guide. (ours has a bitrate limit and we can't stream more than 1080p 60fps and 6mbps unless we configure it differently. I've had this conversation on the Falkirk thread that I'd rather buy better equipment to stream 1080/60 than jump to the prohibitively expensive 4k).

So streaming at 2-6mbps, but recording however, I think my camera is on a 50mbps setting so it's lots more information to make it sharp. That's what your highlights are being edited on.

Yeah this was a problem during covid, essentially what was going up was entirely different to what was going out.