The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I know there is plenty of competition but that is possibly the worst game I’ve ever seen involving us. 

It was so bad you almost stopped caring what happened during extra time. 

I'm sorry for triggering those memories. That game was truly grim. That's why I mention it though, it was a stunning day, it was even on BBC Alba and we still drew in 4,600 victims! 🤣

5 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Watching a clearly-finished Ryan Stevenson playing up front in that game was soul destroying stuff.

At least with Stevo, even when he was done he could still score from anywhere!

Was that the season with the classic "You've been out jumped by a fucking midget!"

To channel Uncle Ian, remember where we were! Shithousing in the Championship is better than shithousing in League One. That's my positive reflection.

Stranraer playoff was brutal, couldn't have handed it to them on a plate any more. Although there was an Inverness game at home where it was all over after about 10 minutes. Think it was under McCall, hazy on details but two down, makeshift defence, wacky formation. That was a slog getting through that game.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Although there was an Inverness game at home where it was all over after about 10 minutes. Think it was under McCall, hazy on details but two down, makeshift defence, wacky formation. That was a slog getting through that game.

Was this a midweek game when we were 3-0 down after 15 minutes, then scored 2 late on to bring it back to 2-3, then missed a sitter with the last kick of the ball? 

1 minute ago, GuyIncognito said:

Was this a midweek game when we were 3-0 down after 15 minutes, then scored 2 late on to bring it back to 2-3, then missed a sitter with the last kick of the ball? 

We were by far the better side that night, I'd wiped that from my memory!

I think there's a good chunk of people who leave the game slightly early to get in to Camerons and beat the post-match queue for a drink/get a table. Otherwise it might be the same people who used to congregate at the top corner where the north and Somerset road terrace meet towards the end. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

For me there is still a hangover from the Thistle playoff games and a general feeling of negativity around the club due to this. Club didn't really acknowledge the result in any great detail which just added to fans frustration. Videos of Bullen singing in the hub obviously didn't help either.  Positive results and performances on the pitch will lead to this feeling gradually lifting 

I think this is echo chamber stuff tbh. I don't think any Ayr fan I know has done anything but move on from the play offs and didn't give particularly much of a shit about the hub thing anyway. If they haven't them they're certainly not vocal about it.

Imo: there's a clutch of fans who put entertainment above all else and that's fine. But acting like it's somehow a more just position to take than those who want Ayr to win in whatever circumstance presents itself is daft because 'entertainment' is completely subjective anyway.

34 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

I think this is echo chamber stuff tbh. I don't think any Ayr fan I know has done anything but move on from the play offs and didn't give particularly much of a shit about the hub thing anyway. If they haven't them they're certainly not vocal about it.

Imo: there's a clutch of fans who put entertainment above all else and that's fine. But acting like it's somehow a more just position to take than those who want Ayr to win in whatever circumstance presents itself is daft because 'entertainment' is completely subjective anyway.

I don’t think anyone is actively holding on to it - but there is an apathy and the place is very flat. A good entertaining game and it should pick up though.

I don’t think anyone is talking down someone else’s position when discussing their view on the style of play…

Despite all the doom and gloom I'm reading, the reality for me when leaving the SRE yesterday was virtually everyone standing applauding the players with gusto as they started to leave following the final whistle. 

It didn't strike me as a support who were either raging or at the end of their tether, more so a support that were happy to gain 3 very valuable points from a makeshift team who rolled their sleeves up and got stuck right in.

1970's Brazil we weren't but we were good in other ways.

*Caveating this with I wasn't there and have only seen the highlights. 

This thread has been a bit of a bin fire since the team sheet was posted, the important thing is 3 points on the board early doors. We all know the squad isn't the finished article and, Bullen looking increasingly angry in his post match interviews is hopefully a good thing. If abject performances start to become the normal it is worrying. However, there are still a couple of weeks to do business, plus we can pick up free agents/loans in September. 

By no means am I a happy clapper, if these performances continue after the squad is "finished" then Bullen should absolutely be under scrutiny. I just think it is a bit early for the doom and gloom given we had a decent showing in the league cup which usually leads to money for additional bodies. 

3 points.

Even if we get nothing in next league game, it means the equivalent of 3 draws, so points wise, not a disaster so far.

Draws kill you in this league.

Performance wise, you look at the money spent on the pitch and the ball flying high in the air and it brings a tear to your eye.

Seen more hoofball mind you.

Thought there were some glimmers of hope, but not too many.

Maybe it was just one of those games, but certainly not one for the purists.

Inverness were poor but as has been said before, we don’t get much from them so all points gratefully received no matter how won.

I hope we push the boat out to get Chalmers as Murphy was missed.

I also think we look weak in the middle, whether it’s personal / formation / tactics I don’t know, but something just doesn’t look right.

19 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

3 points.

Even if we get nothing in next league game, it means the equivalent of 3 draws, so points wise, not a disaster so far.

Draws kill you in this league.

Performance wise, you look at the money spent on the pitch and the ball flying high in the air and it brings a tear to your eye.

Seen more hoofball mind you.

Thought there were some glimmers of hope, but not too many.

Maybe it was just one of those games, but certainly not one for the purists.

Agree with all of this . It’s all about points , we need 10/11 points a quarter to survive or 15/16 to thrive . Saturday may just be our weakest line up of the season . Hopefully we can only get stronger . 

Surely the Livingston game will get more minutes into the legs of McGeady , Rose etc ? If we could only shitfest our way past them then the increased prize money , gate % and next round draw could be a complete game changer for the last week of the window .  

The good news is that we only have one more league match before the 2nd September so that should be ample time to get bodies in, get a couple of the guys fit and hope that injuries clear up.

As much as I walked away happy with the 3 points on Saturday, I'm in 100% agreement that a starting line up containing McAllister, Ashford, Bryden and McKenzie just isn't good enough at this level and of course young Smith also played, however it has to be said that he definitely looks ready to be competing for a Midfield berth in our first team.

In an ideal world we'll have Murphy, McGeady, Rose and hopefully a new body replacing those 4 but given the fitness concerns over the forward thinking guys it's abundantly clear that we need at least 2 coming in who will be capable of nailing down a starting role and be ahead of what we already have. Murdoch of course will be back to compete with Pendlebury, Dempsey and Smith in the middle of the park but again they're all pretty similar types so it would be good to get a more forward thinking guy coming in or even an absolute animal type but as we've said before they're all pretty thin on the ground at the minute.

Anyway, the league table certainly looks better today than it did last Monday.....

1 hour ago, Ayrfix said:

I take it the square root of feck all is happening today?  What's the likelihood of a signing (or two) before Saturday? 

They said on Friday night that there's absolutely nothing "imminent" and with the Cup being next week I'd doubt if they're in any real rush.

Over and above this it will no doubt be the usual posturing by agents, players and clubs as we head towards the transfer window "slamming shut" so it could be a pretty boring couple of weeks.....

37 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

They said on Friday night that there's absolutely nothing "imminent" and with the Cup being next week I'd doubt if they're in any real rush.

Over and above this it will no doubt be the usual posturing by agents, players and clubs as we head towards the transfer window "slamming shut" so it could be a pretty boring couple of weeks.....

Given Murphy’s injury, and the potential financial reward of beating Livingston it would be very helpful for any recruitment to happen before Saturday. At the moment we are going to be lining up with at least two of McAllister, McKenzie, Bryden and Ashford. 

If we play the same side as Saturday we will be getting hammered; hopefully we play a three in midfield as otherwise the likes of Kelly, Nouble and Bradley will run us ragged. 

If we have Bryden and McKenzie up front I’m not sure I would be able to watch what unfolds.