The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, railwayend said:

I think your not far away from a realistic wish list .

Liam Smith in . Ahui back to Lincoln .

Strapp in . Ecrepont out on loan .

Young retained . Murdy & Senga gone .

Bryden new contract .

Rose and McKenzie out on loan . 

Cammy Smith signed . Can link the play but might spell the end for McGeady . Depends how embedded Aiden is . 

there is scope for another big no9 but Cammy covers more bases .

net outlay this would all be expensive so unlikely I guess unless cuts are made elsewhere! 

Liam Smith is at Cheltenham and would reckon Strapp either stays at Morton or goes up a league, we're not signing another left back anyway.  We'll get a centre half and maybe a striker if one of Rose/Bryden was to leave.

Ahui and Senga back to parent clubs and I reckon a right back and centre back will come in. If Murdoch leaves and it isn’t costing the club anything then I’d like us to get another forward thinking midfielder in. Ideally someone who can play off of Dowds. 

33 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

reckon Strapp either stays at Morton or goes up a league

I expected him to move up despite his injury and was surprised we picked him up again first. He's been great since he returned though and maybe that'll be enough to get him that move.

Can't see us paying both him and Waters a first team wage for one of them to sit on the bench though. There's a strange conflict of interest with his agent also being our chairman, though, so who knows...

Would be amazed if our Chairman/Strapps agent  entertains a move to a direct rival in January, unless of course Dougie doesn't want to extend it with Waters coming back.

He's been class the last couple of games so hopefully we secure him until the end of the season and he can hopefully move up a league next season, injury free.

It wouldn't be ideal having two 1st team left backs in our small squad but if there's a chance of keeping Strapp beyond Jan, we should absolutely do it.

As much as Reading was brutal last year we really don’t need a left back in this coming window. I don’t think I’m at the stage where I’d be renewing his contract and the summer seems like a good time for a parting of the ways (not just with Reading) but I’d say we need a right back, centre back and attacking midfielder more than a left back just now. 

I have absolutely no idea who’s likely to be available for those positions but I’d imagine our business will be mostly loans. 

21 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Our history in January is atrocious so i'm not getting my hopes up, wouldn't be surprised if we don't do anything tbh

Our record in January 2023 was Played 4 Won 3 Drawn 1 Lost 0 For 11 Against 2. Three shutouts from four.

Edited by Caledonian

9 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Our record in January 2023 was Played 4 Won 3 Drawn 1 Lost 0 For 11 Against 2. Three shutouts from four.

I'm pretty sure Rb123 was referring to our transfer business in January. Rather than our on pitch prowess.

29 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Our history in January is atrocious so i'm not getting my hopes up, wouldn't be surprised if we don't do anything tbh

Last year was the first year we became weaker due to the business that was done. I think we’ll see stuff moving but I’m not expecting massive changes in the squad. 

55 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Mathie’s first January was largely very good, sadly it has pretty much been downhill from there…

That would have been when it was still just him pretty much and the likes of glendinning and co hadn't joined yet which is perhaps a bit telling....

Without looking at specific positions we need a few decent upgrades to secure our league position or avoid a scrap that might go down to the wire. Will be interesting to see if these have any long term thought behind them or a case of who is available. If we are still following our strategy then hospitality opens next season and we may look to kick on. 

Not sure how many of our squad have the potential to do this and equally when the time comes would we sign a new team at once or evolve over time. Probably the latter and this will take time so ideally start getting some players in that push us on

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Liam Smith is at Cheltenham and would reckon Strapp either stays at Morton or goes up a league, we're not signing another left back anyway.  We'll get a centre half and maybe a striker if one of Rose/Bryden was to leave.

Noted . But Liam isn’t getting much game time and Cheltenham are certs for the drop . Might be time to clear the decks . Same goes for Cammy at Morecambe . 

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

As much as Reading was brutal last year we really don’t need a left back in this coming window.

How much of that is due to Reading, and how much of it is due to the masterstroke of halting the strategy whereby teams simply threw everything at Ayr's left back by presenting them with the option of throwing everything at the right back instead?

I am unsurprisingly pessimistic that there will be any significant churn in January unless that churn also includes the dugout.

3 hours ago, madton said:

Would be amazed if our Chairman/Strapps agent  entertains a move to a direct rival in January, unless of course Dougie doesn't want to extend it with Waters coming back.

He's been class the last couple of games so hopefully we secure him until the end of the season and he can hopefully move up a league next season, injury free.

It wouldn't be ideal having two 1st team left backs in our small squad but if there's a chance of keeping Strapp beyond Jan, we should absolutely do it.

Strapp wanted to cut ties with Morton last year, maybe just been there too long and he wanted to move upwards. After his injury, he’s found it difficult to get that move up and he’d be looking at a move to the Championship. 
Him signing for Morton pretty much killed that move for Ayr because I’m sure the difference between our best offer and Morton’s best offer wouldn’t be much to just go and play for another team in direct competition. 

Unless Morton couldn’t or didn’t want to offer him anything, and Ross County, Livingston, Dundee or St Johnston didn’t want him, even for six months…..and assuming we do, we’d have a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

How much of that is due to Reading, and how much of it is due to the masterstroke of halting the strategy whereby teams simply threw everything at Ayr's left back by presenting them with the option of throwing everything at the right back instead?

I am unsurprisingly pessimistic that there will be any significant churn in January unless that churn also includes the dugout.

I think he has improved somewhat. He’s not as poor at the back post and can read balls in behind better as to avoid being caught under them. He’s still not getting forward that often but I’m fine with that so long as he isn’t shipping goals. I think having Murphy in front of him makes a huge difference though. He’s not shelling the ball as much as he has an option in front of him to pass to. 

As I said it’s good to see him come into a bit of form but he’d have to remain consistent from here on out and show more improvement to warrant a new deal. 

On 04/12/2023 at 13:56, Andy_AUFC said:

On one hand, this is all abit of light-heartedness, he’s harmless, best of luck to him.

on the other hand, this needs fucking nuked from orbit. Say what you like about McCall, but shifting us away from this buffoon punting pies and cds for players to turning us into a professional outfit is one of the best things McCalls ever done in football. 

I take the first paragraph back…

And, I can only emphasise the nuked from orbit bit.