The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Stanger looked way off the pace first half, he did look a bit better second half but he is going to be the only actual centre half available against Morton who have ripped us apart on two occasions already this season. 

No CB cover, rotten full backs, a midfield that can't control a game and our 3 best players belong to other teams. The 5 year plan is in good shape.

I'm delighted to be working on Tuesday, it's going to be horrible at Morton.

Expect it'll be Senga at CH on Tuesday, when it's the type of game we could really be doing with him in midfield. I expect it'll just be a copy and paste job from the last game for Imrie, and due to squad depletion we don't have a whole lot of options for changing it up. Can see Albinson back in goal for this.

Like how the small bit of optimism fans had gained for the first time in months about going to a match at Somerset evaporated by 10 past fucking 3 lol 

Surprised we did a comeback as at the beginning of the season i'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened tbf. Helped by Dunfermline being utterly woeful, them sitting in 4th proves how shite the rest of the league is. 

As people have started to say we aren't any better off than we were two years ago when Bullen came into the club IMO. Football is still grim to watch on the whole apart from the odd glimpses here and there  of something decent. Also when he took over were towards the wrong end of the table only a few points above the relegation spots, roll on 24 months later and we're in almost the exact same situation....

Just hope we're running down Bullen's deal until summer then starting afresh and we're never going to take the next step with him IMO, slight issue is it looks doubtful that we've enough in reserve to chug across the line to safety comfortably under Bullen without a few quality additions in January which is nigh on impossible unless you spend serious cash

I'll wait for @railwayend acussing me of being negative again

Listening to Bullens post match, it sounds like a neutral that had came along to the game and had been asked his opinions on Ayrs performance. Its like he isn't aware he is in charge of what happens on the pitch. 

If those boys go out there on Tuesday and play like that against Morton, they will come away with nothing.

How about you make sure they fucking don't then?

Did Somerset Boab have too much brandy at Christmas? The poor guy was having a mare on the mic today - I think he needs to have a wee practise of the big words he wants to use for next time. 

Alex Ja,-ku-bye-ak deary me 

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

Like how the small bit of optimism fans had gained for the first time in months about going to a match at Somerset evaporated by 10 past fucking 3 lol 

Surprised we did a comeback as at the beginning of the season i'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened tbf. Helped by Dunfermline being utterly woeful, them sitting in 4th proves how shite the rest of the league is. 

As people have started to say we aren't any better off than we were two years ago when Bullen came into the club IMO. Football is still grim to watch on the whole apart from the odd glimpses here and there  of something decent. Also when he took over were towards the wrong end of the table only a few points above the relegation spots, roll on 24 months later and we're in almost the exact same situation....

Just hope we're running down Bullen's deal until summer then starting afresh and we're never going to take the next step with him IMO, slight issue is it looks doubtful that we've enough in reserve to chug across the line to safety comfortably under Bullen without a few quality additions in January which is nigh on impossible unless you spend serious cash

I'll wait for @railwayend acussing me of being negative again

When Bullen took over we were almost certainties to go down. We have improved from them. 

Watching that first half today and it’s clear that collectively Bullen and the players need to take responsibility. That isn’t always the case but today it is. Mutch constantly playing the ball short to Stanger or Musonda is partly his own responsibility but at the end of the day he’s clearly been told to do that. Why? It doesn’t help us build from the back as the ball only makes it to the halfway line and we lose it or in most cases the centre halves get pressed, as it’s so predictable, and we lose it 30 yards out from goal. However what isn’t on Bullen is Musonda and Stanger constantly standing off the strikers and letting Jakubiak score the easiest goals of his career today. Musonda is near on finished for me. He scored today but he’s so unbelievably soft when defending and his passing is so lax that he invariably gets caught out. He was immense at times last season but I wouldn’t even think of giving him a new deal right now. Stanger isn’t much better. He’s bigger and more physical but completely shits the bed under pressure and stands off the opposition constantly. Either of them are ok-ish next to McGinty, who must be doing a helluva lot of talking to get them through games, but when together they’re bombscare. Reading and Ahui were back to their worst in the first half as well although I felt they grew into it and Ahui especially was getting forward more to support Chalmers although it’s clear it isn’t his game yet. Again, I don’t mind them but I think they benefit from someone helping them and they didn’t get that today. 

I think Bullen is being blamed for a lot of stuff that is solely down to the players but he does have to answer for the way we approach games and the way we seem to enjoy giving teams a head start. I’m actually edging towards binning two wingers at home entirely and packing the midfield as Somerset is not suited to the way we like to play with Chalmers/Amartey/Murphy. Teams always talk about needing to battle at Somerset and yet we rarely turn up for them. We are so easy to play against its criminal. What’s even more criminal is the fact that I still think we’ll comfortably finish 5th or 6th which says a lot about the division. 

Just now, Shibuya said:

Did Somerset Boab have too much brandy at Christmas? The poor guy was having a mare on the mic today - I think he needs to have a wee practise of the big words he wants to use for next time. 

Alex Ja,-ku-bye-ak deary me 

He was even making an arse of that wee penalty shoot out thing with the kids at HT. A complete charlatan of a man who should never have been allowed to get back involved with the club. Mathie has jumped from disaster to disaster and that’s one of his biggest ones. 

See to be honest. I really couldn’t care who’s doing tannoy duties. He’s a bit of a fud but if Ayr were winning games you wouldn’t hear as much said about him. It’s one of those where if the team aren’t performing, fans get annoyed at other small issues. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

When Bullen took over we were almost certainties to go down. We have improved from them. 

Watching that first half today and it’s clear that collectively Bullen and the players need to take responsibility. That isn’t always the case but today it is. Mutch constantly playing the ball short to Stanger or Musonda is partly his own responsibility but at the end of the day he’s clearly been told to do that. Why? It doesn’t help us build from the back as the ball only makes it to the halfway line and we lose it or in most cases the centre halves get pressed, as it’s so predictable, and we lose it 30 yards out from goal. However what isn’t on Bullen is Musonda and Stanger constantly standing off the strikers and letting Jakubiak score the easiest goals of his career today. Musonda is near on finished for me. He scored today but he’s so unbelievably soft when defending and his passing is so lax that he invariably gets caught out. He was immense at times last season but I wouldn’t even think of giving him a new deal right now. Stanger isn’t much better. He’s bigger and more physical but completely shits the bed under pressure and stands off the opposition constantly. Either of them are ok-ish next to McGinty, who must be doing a helluva lot of talking to get them through games, but when together they’re bombscare. Reading and Ahui were back to their worst in the first half as well although I felt they grew into it and Ahui especially was getting forward more to support Chalmers although it’s clear it isn’t his game yet. Again, I don’t mind them but I think they benefit from someone helping them and they didn’t get that today. 

I think Bullen is being blamed for a lot of stuff that is solely down to the players but he does have to answer for the way we approach games and the way we seem to enjoy giving teams a head start. I’m actually edging towards binning two wingers at home entirely and packing the midfield as Somerset is not suited to the way we like to play with Chalmers/Amartey/Murphy. Teams always talk about needing to battle at Somerset and yet we rarely turn up for them. We are so easy to play against its criminal. What’s even more criminal is the fact that I still think we’ll comfortably finish 5th or 6th which says a lot about the division. 

Agree with all of the above but at the end of the day we're still in a pretty poor position in what feels like a championship which is getting worse in regards to quality with every passing season.

We must be on year 3 near enough of the so called masterplan and we are absolutely miles away from looking like having any chance of fighting for promotion to the premiership in the next 2 years. 

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

Agree with all of the above but at the end of the day we're still in a pretty poor position in what feels like a championship which is getting worse in regards to quality with every passing season.

We must be on year 3 near enough of the so called masterplan and we are absolutely miles away from looking like having any chance of fighting for promotion to the premiership in the next 2 years. 

You’re never far away from either end of the table. Arbroath mounted a serious title charge after a season where they finished 7th. Raith finished 6th last season and are now up there challenging. Even we made a huge leap last season from finishing in 8th. 

The flip side is you can collapse just as quickly as you’ve risen. Arbroath are another example of that. The point is it only takes a couple of changes (usually signings) to turn it round. I don’t think the club actually know this and think there is a carefully crafted process to be followed. I don’t really think it’s as complicated as that. 

4 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Mathies aim of the next five years was revised to within a generation. It could well be revised again to - This century, 

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He was even making an arse of that wee penalty shoot out thing with the kids at HT. A complete charlatan of a man who should never have been allowed to get back involved with the club. Mathie has jumped from disaster to disaster and that’s one of his biggest ones. 

I would bet it was Smith and not Mathie who was responsible for the return of the Boab. Same generation and Smith strikes me as the kind of person who would have enjoyed his antics first time around. 

With finishing 2nd last season and the Dipo money, thats the kind of set up you want going into a new season to push on. I know the new stand has kind of thrown things for a loop but we ain't finishing second this season, nor bringing any decent money in from players sold. So if recruitment has been bad this season I shudder to think what's in store for the next one. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re never far away from either end of the table. Arbroath mounted a serious title charge after a season where they finished 7th. Raith finished 6th last season and are now up there challenging. Even we made a huge leap last season from finishing in 8th. 

The flip side is you can collapse just as quickly as you’ve risen. Arbroath are another example of that. The point is it only takes a couple of changes (usually signings) to turn it round. I don’t think the club actually know this and think there is a carefully crafted process to be followed. I don’t really think it’s as complicated as that. 

Relying on the Championship being a basket case league is like relying on teams to be worse than you. If you look at what happened within 5 years under McCall and where he left us,  where he took Thistle and where he left them, it is possible to build a reliable, Championship team that will be consistently top half and all it takes is a good season to get promoted. Dundee were that last season. 

We probably have Murphy, McGinty (most weeks) Albinson(based on last seasons form) and Dempsey(just) that are good, championship players and the rest would struggle to get in to a top half team currently. The best loan players we have are on loan from top half clubs they couldn't get a game for. 

We are exactly where we deserve to be and that is because we have poor players or we aren't getting the most out of them. If we get drawn in to s proper relegation battle in the coming months, that question will need to be answered, Smith is hiring enough people now to get it right and he'll want his moneys worth as well as the support. 

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So if recruitment has been bad this season I shudder to think what's in store for the next one. 

Young, Chalmers, Dowds, probably our 3 best players at the minute and all on loan. None of the academy players being given a chance. A mass clear out needed.

Nothing is pointing towards any of them actually having a clue what the 5 year plan involves.

7 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The Mutch experiment is over. He needs dropped. I assume Albinson has an injury because I'd take a one armed Albinson over Mutch. He's a shocking goalie.

Was thinking similar. Mutch made a couple of important saves but his distribution of the ball is a bomb scare.

On a side note personally it seemed Albinsons dip in form earlier in the season coincided with Dave Timmins leaving as GK coach. Could just be me.

55 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Was thinking similar. Mutch made a couple of important saves but his distribution of the ball is a bomb scare.

On a side note personally it seemed Albinsons dip in form earlier in the season coincided with Dave Timmins leaving as GK coach. Could just be me.

Yeah I would agree that since Timmins left Albinson has regressed. He still starts for me over Mutch. His distribution is better and he can make saves he's got no right to stop. With our back line that is vitally important as the opposition will get opportunities.