The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 hours ago, Tommy_ayr said:

The issue we’ve got is…let’s say Bullen loses to Arbroath and we sack him, we’re now going to have to get a good new manager in quick and get the signings he wants all in the space of 2 weeks which don’t see happening.

Alternatively if he beats Arbroath and stays…He’s going to have to make at least 2 signings to back this team up with some quality…and I’m feared that Graeme Mathie will sign someone who has no familiarity with the Scottish leagues and instead someone from English Non-League which I think is the complete wrong move. Maybe a short-term loan from a premiership club or English L1 or L2? Even a player with some experience in a decent standard of football to keep us up this season?

Went want to know is how on earth we went from taking players on loan from Arsenal and Aston Villa, to taking cast offs from Wycombe Wanders and Lincoln City….

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Obviously we don’t talk about the Talbot game but his shape would’ve made Paul Cairney look fit. He did not have the work rate or desire to play professionally. 

The fact he’s 28 and playing for Troon tells you that. Wonder if he still blames the club for the lack of professional career. 

The lad clearly has issues away from football and I’m surprised he is even still playing football at any level. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

The article mentions clubs can hold registrations until the player is 23, don't know if that's still the case.

Which brings to mind the Jonathan Tiffoney saga, another case of an Ayr youth thinking he was fucking Pele and subsequently being proven not to.

2 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

A think there was more than that 😅

Roberts was the manager for both. Tiffoney alleged he had been bullied by Roberts when he was at Ayr I am sure. It was one of the many claims he went to court about. 

Mathie and Bullen have both said nothing will happen unless players leave. So we can try and convince them to go on loan or they can want to go out on loan, or they might want to leave altogether. 

Ecripont has gone but it’s probably not going to cover a full, experienced pro’s wages. We may even be topping up his wage until the end of the season.
I would expect that Young and Senga will depart next week, but we may not have been picking up a full wage from them. So we’ll maybe have the wage for one player by next weekend.
The money from the player fund will cover a signing on fee. 

The club has been far from engaging to the fans to try to get them to buy in to what they are doing. Putting out hashtags and saying at every opportunity that they are close to the community doesn’t mean they actually are. Getting fans buy in and making them feel like they are part of the journey helped us pay to keep Shankland & Moore. 

The engagement is shocking, it builds up to a point the club has to do a Q&A or Mathie does a recorded interview. Player availability is non-existent week to week. Everything feels scripted when we get the weekly soundbites in the Post and Advertiser. Since Robbo took a vow of secrecy, we get nothing out the club that reassures people. They bring it on themselves. 

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

Mark Shankland, there's a name from the past. He's only a wee bit older now than Moffat was when he signed.

I remember there was talk of Liverpool wanting to sign him 🥴

Went to that Dean Keenan testimonial and he was playing for Troon. He looked an absolute balloon. The years haven't been kind to him

2 hours ago, Hazbart said:

Went want to know is how on earth we went from taking players on loan from Arsenal and Aston Villa, to taking cast offs from Wycombe Wanders and Lincoln City….

That's at best. Wycombe and Lincoln seem like Real Madrid considering where we get some of the diddies from. Dipo being the only exception 

43 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mathie and Bullen have both said nothing will happen unless players leave. So we can try and convince them to go on loan or they can want to go out on loan, or they might want to leave altogether. 

Ecripont has gone but it’s probably not going to cover a full, experienced pro’s wages. We may even be topping up his wage until the end of the season.
I would expect that Young and Senga will depart next week, but we may not have been picking up a full wage from them. So we’ll maybe have the wage for one player by next weekend.
The money from the player fund will cover a signing on fee. 

The club has been far from engaging to the fans to try to get them to buy in to what they are doing. Putting out hashtags and saying at every opportunity that they are close to the community doesn’t mean they actually are. Getting fans buy in and making them feel like they are part of the journey helped us pay to keep Shankland & Moore. 

The engagement is shocking, it builds up to a point the club has to do a Q&A or Mathie does a recorded interview. Player availability is non-existent week to week. Everything feels scripted when we get the weekly soundbites in the Post and Advertiser. Since Robbo took a vow of secrecy, we get nothing out the club that reassures people. They bring it on themselves. 

Yeah I think lack of meaningful engagement/ communication is the hardest thing right now. 3rd bottom & in freefall with no plan to address weak points in squad. No attempts to get loan players who have played well, extended deals (Young) or tied down for next season (Chalmers/Dowds). And no attempt to get players who arent performing moved on or loaned out (could list half the squad here tbh). Whats the plan to avoid relegation? If Bullen isnt going to here next season 🙏, is there someone else in mind/ lined up? I dunno, maybe there is stuff going on behind the scenes, but it doesn't feel like it at the moment...

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

We are now a third of the way through the month and not a peep about any new players.

Grim.

Bullen looking to get some loans in to prepare them for the Diamond League. 

51 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That's at best. Wycombe and Lincoln seem like Real Madrid considering where we get some of the diddies from. Dipo being the only exception 

Why do people insist on taking things to obviously stupid extremes? This is obviously not true.

7 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Why do people insist on taking things to obviously stupid extremes? This is obviously not true.

Even quoting Wycombe isn’t the “gotcha” that some people seem to think it is when Jack Young has barely put a foot wrong and is emerging as a very decent midfielder at this level. 

15 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Who else did we get from the bargain bin that has been great? Certainly not Gondoh, Rose, Bangala, Pendelbury, Armaty (jury's out) sure Kenyan was from a higher league but was shite as well. 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Who else did we get from the bargain bin that has been great? Certainly not Gondoh, Rose, Bangala, Pendelbury, Armaty (jury's out) sure Kenyan was from a higher league but was shite as well. 

Adeloye? Albinson? Holy f**k.

25 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Folk tend towards hyperbole these kinda forums. It’s not exactly the place for precise argumentation. Don’t take it to heart…

But in any case, In a line up that includes Kenyon, Gondoh, Rose and Ashford it’s not that great an exaggeration. Albinsons been good, Young looks good, Dempsey for about 8 games last year was half decent, Kirk too until he got crocked, Amartey runs hot-ish and cold. Other than that, you really are only looking at Dipo as the really solid signing from down south.  The rest have either been horrifying or just completely mediocre. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe
Forgot about Albinson…

Akinyemi was more of a freak than anything else. We aren’t likely to get that lucky again in any market. 

I think Albinson is roughly the standard you’re looking for. Fairly consistent with the odd standout moment. I think Dempsey is underrated by the majority and was a huge player for us last season, goals aside. Jack Young looks good and if we were able to get him permanently I would be all over that. Adeloye was Adeloye and in terms of a striker is probably the standard you’re aiming for. It’s pretty much what we’ve got in Dowds right now. Amartey should be playing far more often imo. 

I think the issue we’re getting in recruiting from that market is the unknowns. We look to be signing purely off of stats with no one having any deeper knowledge of these players. If Mathie is determined to go down that route then you’re probably better trying to get a manager who already has that knowledge. Dundee did it with Bowyer and whilst I’m not certain on the success rate of his signings from down South, they basically exclusively recruited from there last season and won the league. 

You also can’t build a whole squad on calculated risks. You need a core of players who know the level. Thats where we’re struggling right now. It’s either down to money or we aren’t selling the club well enough. It’s probably a mix of both and again, a better manager makes a difference to the latter one. Whilst Lee Bullen might have garnered some respect in the game up here, I doubt many players are falling over themselves to come and play for him.