The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

What is success for Ayr United though? If 2nd isn’t good enough to retain any goodwill then is it simply promotion or bust?

On paper second is a hell of an accomplishment. However a look at the personnel and the season overall tells a quite different story. Ayr were top of the league in autumn but already opponents were starting to figure Bullen out despite Akinyemi being far and away the best player in the league. Ayr never retook top spot after Dundee won at Somerset on Halloween 2022 and it was only a last-ditch winner against ICT on the final day which moved Ayr out of fifth. Then an 8-0 shellacking in the playoffs.

Throughout that entire time, people on here were correctly diagnosing what was going wrong. Meanwhile Bullen was talking about nothing except luck and character. When Akinyemi left, people yet again pointed out at length what was likely for Ayr the next season in the absence of another miracle unknown signing, which was a relegation battle. Bullen immediately fell into one and in the first half of this season did very little to suggest that he'd not just gotten lucky in 2023.

Nobody seems to constantly demand that Arbroath fans justify Dick Campbell leaving given one freakish season.

2 minutes ago, diege said:

Should listen to the Terrace Podcast that was released earlier today with Ayr supporter Ally Gemmell talking to Craig Fowler. I agree with his fine margin analogy. Had it not been for a last minute injury time winner on the last day of the season, we would've finished 5th.

If my Auntie had baws level nonsense that tbf.

You could also argue that you turn one of those defeats against Dundee into a victory and Ayr would have been champions. Equally true and just as equally meaningless.

Have to be honest though - I think the vast majority of Scottish football would have considered just missing out on the top four with Ayr as a decent effort.

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Nobody seems to constantly demand that Arbroath fans justify Dick Campbell leaving given one freakish season.

There’s no reason to get all huffy about it but you’re wrong - I’ve seen plenty of people surprised that Arbroath fans were so relieved to see a new face in the dugout.

37 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Have to be honest though - I think the vast majority of Scottish football would have considered just missing out on the top four with Ayr as a decent effort.

After being top of the league for much of the first quarter, and with an absolute cheat-code level striker? It would have been a complete bottle job to have finished outside the playoffs.

Edited by Thumper

9 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

If my Auntie had baws level nonsense that tbf.

You could also argue that you turn one of those defeats against Dundee into a victory and Ayr would have been champions. Equally true and just as equally meaningless.

Here is the Dunfermline fan who hasn't been in the Premiership since 2012 and been in League 1 for four seasons trying to sound all mighty.

We were on top of the league, but werent good enough to stay there for the duration or challenge in anyway in the playoffs and fluffed the cup and at the moment in a relegation battle, so yeah there is room for improvement which I hope Brown can bring

Edited by diege
adding context

15 minutes ago, diege said:

Should listen to the Terrace Podcast that was released earlier today with Ayr supporter Ally Gemmell talking to Craig Fowler.

weird reading this and subconsciously translating both of their real names into their P&B names.

32 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

If you’re getting the train up and looking for a pub, lots of Ayr fans heading to the Rose Reilly before the game. 2 minute walk from Queen’s Park station.

Kids allowed ?  Getting train up with my 8 year old and plotting the route that allows a fee pints. 

Brown is an interesting appointment, hopefully his name and reputation will get the most out of the players over the next few weeks and he can put his stamp on the team. A win on Saturday and even the biggest Bullen fans will have forgotten about him. 

It is important for some of the support to realise that we have signed Scott Brown the rookie manager and not Scott Brown the Celtic player. The brief chorus of you'll never walk alone was tragic and rightly boo'd He needs to impress the support and the support need to back him, not tickle his baws with that kind of stuff. No huddle, no YNWA. He needs to carve a new career away from that and we don't want to become a tribute act. 

Last week, McGinty and Smith were boo'd and then Bryden. This week it was the woman doing the half time draw. I am missing the memos on this. The f**k is going on ?

Thought the three who played up front tonight were poor, we were much better in midfield and the back line rarely put a foot wrong, Albinson had a couple of brain farts again, including a full length two handed save two feet outside the 18 yard box that he got away with. Syla stepped in to Youngs shoes and covered every blade of grass. Dempsey is improving every game. 

Still a huge amount of improvement needed but we drew in the same circumstances last week which takes the pressure off slightly and hopefully there is some kind of bounce having a huge name in the door. 

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Kids allowed ?  Getting train up with my 8 year old and plotting the route that allows a fee pints. 

Unfortunately not, but you can go round to their sister pub The Bell Jar which sells food and allows mini Honest kids!

Edited by diege

14 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

What is success for Ayr United though? If 2nd isn’t good enough to retain any goodwill then is it simply promotion or bust?

If Scott Brown plays a better style of football, comes across as charismatic in interviews, has better contacts, tactics and subs than Bullen but finishes lower down the table, is that still preferable?

Bullen was a bad manager who at some point in each of the 3 seasons he was in charge folk were suggesting he should go, the football was a hard watch and he would often tie his own hands behind his back e.g. he managed to fix a stinking defence in his first season only to drop the only player who was scoring any goals in favour of Sam Ashford who worked very hard but has no ability with the ball. 

While we finished second last season which cannot be removed there are a couple of factors at play, the obvious one being Dipo Akinyemi, when you look at Bullen's points per game with and without him the contrast is stark. Getting that second place was a very fine margin, we did score the goal but had we not we would have gone from being title challengers at christmas to 5th place in the league.  That would be a tough one because that would have been fine at the start of the season but it would have probably evolved into failure.  I think when you look at the form table you can split it to 30 games and over the 'final 30 games' which is basically a full season we were the 6th best team in the league.  So while we got the 2nd place it never really felt like it.  

The crap form carried over into this season but there was no Akinyemi to mask the failings and he had made a total c**t of the squad building, he was due getting sacked in september but the credit he had in the bank kept him around, he managed to get a few wins right at that point and it bought him time then things just went back to how they were, he was a stubborn, unlikeable guy and he wont be missed.

44 minutes ago, diege said:

Here is the Dunfermline fan who hasn't been in the Premiership since 2012 and been in League 1 for four seasons trying to sound all mighty.

We were on top of the league, but werent good enough to stay there for the duration or challenge in anyway in the playoffs and fluffed the cup and at the moment in a relegation battle, so yeah there is room for improvement which I hope Brown can bring

How was anything I said “high and mighty”? It’s not exactly controversial to say that Ayr pushing towards the top half of the Championship would be considered a good achievement by any neutral.

Plus, I have zero clue what Dunfermline’s recent record has to do with anything being discussed?

I simply asked if fans would prefer finishing lower down the league if they liked the manager more and apparently they would, so fair enough.

12 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

How was anything I said “high and mighty”? It’s not exactly controversial to say that Ayr pushing towards the top half of the Championship would be considered a good achievement by any neutral.

Plus, I have zero clue what Dunfermline’s recent record has to do with anything being discussed?

I simply asked if fans would prefer finishing lower down the league if they liked the manager more and apparently they would, so fair enough.

We were pushing the top half of the Championship regulary under Dalziel with Barr's cash, with Ian McCall, and last season we came short again. Its not a new thing for us pushing in this league.

Wee plucky Ayr United you're describing us as when for the past 12 years we've been at the same level as Dunfermline, thats why I brought the record up, pipe down

Edited by diege

A genuine fourth would beat a fake second. Arguably a genuine fifth would be less of a kick in the nuts than a fake second, given the inevitable playoff implosion, but the sharp revenue drop from not even having playoff games makes that harder to swallow. Bullen's would not even have been a genuine fifth, as non-Akinyemi form suggests his natural place is desperately treading water above ninth.

Dunfermline are on the same points as Ayr now, lol.

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

A genuine fourth would beat a fake second. Arguably a genuine fifth would be less of a kick in the nuts than a fake second, given the inevitable playoff implosion, but the sharp revenue drop from not even having playoff games makes that harder to swallow. Bullen's would not even have been a genuine fifth, as non-Akinyemi form suggests his natural place is desperately treading water above ninth.

Dunfermline are on the same points as Ayr now, lol.

Just watch though, they have 2 games in hand they manufactured postponements to get injuries back that they're guaranteed to win now! haha

Edited by diege

My take on scott Brown

And forgive me cos ive not been to games in recent years so my opinion is probably invalid or even pish

I think Scott Brown is a massive risk to his own reputation or to the security in the championship for the club

I genuinely fear the standard of player he can attract if its Fleetwood players on loan cos it will be ex Waterford players who are absolutely shite and played in same standard as WOSPL

If it isn't is it gonna be the auld firm B root option outwith a few notable sucsess stories that usually doesn't work

In my time watching Ayr they pulled in better loan players from Hearts so lets hope maybe Whittaker has good contacts in Edinburgh 

I did watch young Finlay Gray against Rangers in midfield thought he looked really good and might step up full time

Anyway nothing against Brown as a person or nothing and hope the appointment works out well

Cos fear if Ayr go down he will be looking for a job for a very long time

Was a Scotland player who quite admired shame he can't still pull the boots on

Ayr need to attract better players what happened to youth system your Teale and Conway coming through?

Edited by General dissaray

3 hours ago, mugen_power said:

interview is up

Graeme Mathie conspicuous by his absence. Did he really provide the quotes that were attributed to him in the press yesterday?  Is he on board with the appointment? Why has he gone from being the public face of the club to a peripheral figure? Was he in Dallas in November 1963? He didn't even get a name check in this interview.