The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Going with the same lineup was obvious given last weeks result and him having 2 days with the team.

Subs were a mixed bag, Fraser for Jamie Murphy was odd. McGeady getting a game over Amartey will maybe not his favoured sub going forward after today. 

McCallister played the part of a roundabout well, the last 20 minutes was played down his side and I don’t think he got anywhere near the ball. 

We still resorted to the Bullen style of a goal being scored and we shit ourself and start trying to defend our 18 yard box. 

A good win though, hard to see any Scott Brown stamp on the team obviously with him only coming in this week. Good because Queens Park are a lot better than they were and it puts a bit of a gap in place. Good also with a win next week unlikely, it gets Brown off to a winning start and hopefully keeps the confidence growing. 

I didn't like the way we used all our sub windows but only got three subs on. Also the half time team talk seemed to make the team worse. Otherwise no coaching complaints.

Edited by Iain

I assume Amartey is injured.

I dunno what he would have been thinking seeing Bryden, McGeady and Rose on ahead of him.

As it happened Bryden did quite well out on the left. A novel approach.

Our winning goal was really good. Quite annoying to have fans grumbling and moaning every time the team plays a pass in the final third instead of just shooting no matter what position they're in.

Edited by Iain

Just now, Trogdor said:

As I said on the match thread. I'm glad of the win. Hopefully it's clear to Brown & Whittaker where we need to strengthen. 

Special shout out to Bryden and McKenzie who both did well when they came on. Credit to both of them.

Yep, big Frasers dinked cross for the goal was lovely and McKenzie done ok. McAllister was ok first half and then just chucked it 2nd half. Midfield missing as per usual, need a leader in there.

McGeady needs to just call it a day I think sadly.

Watching Brown involved constantly, talking to Whittaker and actually giving confidence that he'd have a plan B to try of it wasn't working was great.

Good 3 points.

7 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Yep, big Frasers dinked cross for the goal was lovely and McKenzie done ok. McAllister was ok first half and then just chucked it 2nd half. Midfield missing as per usual, need a leader in there.

McGeady needs to just call it a day I think sadly.

Watching Brown involved constantly, talking to Whittaker and actually giving confidence that he'd have a plan B to try of it wasn't working was great.

Good 3 points.

We controlled most of the game, so the midfield absolutely weren’t missing IMO. 

Edited by No_Problemo

We looked like a much better team today. We looked much more solid as a defence and midfield I’d say. I won’t lie, I’ve not celebrated so much in a long time when our winner went in! McGeady should have made it 3-1. McKenzie was brilliant today, and Bryden weirdly played great on the left when Murphy went off. All aboard the Broony bus! 

You can see the value in having an assistant. Whitaker was constantly taking notes and he and Brown were constantly talking throughout the game. They said they worked well together and although that's just the first match, you can see positive signs.

1 minute ago, Only me... said:

Was sublime and almost made up for the 5 times he gave the ball to queens. 

Haha, absolutely!

I’m still sticking to there being something there in a cameo role at times and we’ll see it at some point soon. 

The one where he played it to McAllister doesn’t count though, as he seemed to have no idea how to carry out basic functions in the last fifteen minutes 😂

1 minute ago, Ayr23 said:

We looked like a much better team today. We looked much more solid as a defence and midfield I’d say. 

I thought the shape out of possession was much better. Even when Queens were on top they struggled to break us down.

Lots of folk complaining about Reading and McAllister not going out to the man, but they're clearly being told to defend narrow. I'm not a fan of it, though.

20 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Good 3 points.

It's obvious there will be no passengers in his squad. This kind of management has been missing for a long time. One or two players will have got a sharp wake up call.

Two highlights of the Broony show was him pulling Syla back to feet when he went down in front of him with as sore head and almost ripping his jacket in two in frustration when McAllister sliced a clearance down near the corner flag, he's going to be a breath of fresh Ayr 😉 for us.

27 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We controlled most of the game, so the midfield absolutely weren’t missing IMO. 

Aye maybe a bit harsh but I think it's just that all the players we've got in there are very similar. A more forward minded midfielder to link the play would definately help.

A few times in the game we allowed them to much time and space and the goal for them was definitely coming. The sending off was a bit of a godsend for us.

Brown will pretty quickly see what he needs though so fingers crossed we can get it.

1 minute ago, Scott-ish said:

Aye maybe a bit harsh but I think it's just that all the players we've got in there are very similar. A more forward minded midfielder to link the play would definately help.

A few times in the game we allowed them to much time and space and the goal for them was definitely coming. The sending off was a bit of a godsend for us.

Brown will pretty quickly see what he needs though so fingers crossed we can get it.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with all of that tbf. 

It wasn't a vintage performance by any means, but a huge win. I felt we just about deserved it over the course. As others have said, hopefully that helps to give Brown and Whittaker a clearer picture of the strengths and weaknesses in the squad. 

Credit to McKenzie for an excellent finish, I thought he performed well overall today. Great strike from Murphy as well. Would be great to get a couple of additional bodies in this week.

Some of our decision making can be very frustrating at times, hopefully Brown can put that right - he certainly seemed to be getting frustrated on occasion. Loved seeing him picking up Syla when he went down right as QP were breaking away. Him nearly ripping off his jacket in frustration at McAllister unnecessarily rushing a clearance and shanking it into the stand was very amusing. 

Big fan of the level of direction he and Whittaker were shouting from the touchline. Seemed to be particularly focused on ensuring the positioning was correct, which for the most part was beneficial as we were largely well drilled and set up.

Not to get all crowd wanky, but that was an excellent away following up today. Can't have been that far off 1000. Good to see what happens when there is a feeling of a refresh to a certain extent.

Decent gap to the bottom now which is the main thing, keep it up Ayr. Looking forward to seeing Brown stamp his authority on the team, hopefully all goes well.

Broonie and Whit(tf) now have a week to get us ready for a much sterner test - big crowd beckons. They'll be looking at Sanders coming in even though McGinty and Stanger were fine today so I wonder if he'll stick him in at full-back. Looked a lot more workmanlike today and definite signs of players putting in the yards when they may not have bothered under LB. Pleased for Mackenzie (I still like him despite the doubters on here) and his work rate is something others can learn from. All in all, a good day and 3 points. 

More please, Broonie. More.