The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

There’s a fair argument that Docherty is too injury prone to justify his wage demands.  Dundee Utd can no doubt absorb and justify the cost, and there’s no doubt of his qualities when he’s fit, but I suspect a few clubs might be wary of handing a big contract to a player who consistently misses a fair chunk of the season.  He’s in his 30s now, so things will probably only get worse.

12 minutes ago, Nelson said:

There’s a fair argument that Docherty is too injury prone to justify his wage demands.  Dundee Utd can no doubt absorb and justify the cost, and there’s no doubt of his qualities when he’s fit, but I suspect a few clubs might be wary of handing a big contract to a player who consistently misses a fair chunk of the season.  He’s in his 30s now, so things will probably only get worse.

Tbf he hardly missed a game for partick and he was fairly regular in the DUfC team all season so your argument over injuries isn’t really justified. Yes he had a few problems with us but was that us rushing him back too quickly 

9 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Tbf he hardly missed a game for partick and he was fairly regular in the DUfC team all season so your argument over injuries isn’t really justified. Yes he had a few problems with us but was that us rushing him back too quickly 

He was out quite a lot for Dundee United I think. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He was out quite a lot for Dundee United I think. 

missed 18 games this season according to transfermarket thou doesn't specify if they were injuries or not

I don't know if getting Kirk back is complete pie in the sky stuff but if Brown wants his CH's to play out from the back then he is absolutely someone he should be pushing the boat out for.

Would absolutely love to see Kirk back but don't see it happening.

He's played over 20 times this season for a Bromley side that have been going very well in the National League. Could play in the National League play-off final this weekend at Wembley.

Docherty is under contract at Dundee Utd for next season, so it’s an even more moot point about us getting him back, even if we could afford his wages, which we can’t.

Players are interested in:

1.  Money

2.  Length of contract

3. Club / manager / facilities / teammates

There will always be some that buck the trend, but we will struggle against some in the Championship with number 1 and maybe number 2 until the (thank you Mr Chairman) infrastructure starts to yield increasing returns and we get close to similar incomes.

Bad managers can always spunk money with no return, and good managers can get better returns from less, but if we are seriously looking at a challenge for promotion, I can’t see it happening for at least another 2 or 3 season - unless the board take a gamble.

Anyone seen any stats on how many minutes have been played by ex Academy players this season? Feels like it must be pretty high.

I know folk will argue that McKenzie, Bryden etc aren't good enough but realistically we aren't going to sign two Championship players for every position and need Academy players coming through in to the squad, with a Forrest type standout every so often.

7 minutes ago, Aliayr76 said:

It's ok saying bring x,y,z, back but us it no better bring new players.

People said this when signed Moffat and Geggan in League 1. 

You can sign former players and you can sign new players. All that matters is they’re good enough. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Anyone seen any stats on how many minutes have been played by ex Academy players this season? Feels like it must be pretty high.

Mark McKenzie: 2,484 minutes

Fraser Bryden: 1,491 minutes

Paul Smith: 649 minutes

Finn Ecrepont: 285 Minutes

Scott Tomlinson: 272 minutes

The Rest (McRoberts, Watret, Guthrie, Ollie): 129 Minutes

Total Minutes: 5,310 Minutes

*from my own stat making so might not be fully accurate

Edited by muZZa__44

Thank f*ck this season over at least it ended on an entertaining game. Getting Dowds signed on would be a good start, he had a good game last night.

Looked a sore one for Dunfermlines keeper.

Minor point but I swear that when "Somerset Boab" announced Amartey getting subbed on last night he said "Cammy" Amartey. Wouldn't surprise me.....

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

Any news on the keeper's injury/condition? 

Released from hospital.

Edited by Iain