The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Considering that McGinty was headhunted by Alex Ferguson to go to Man U he can hardly be unused to the notion of a manager being prepared to do whatever is necessary, to whomever it is necessary, to re-establish control of a game.

Also considering that from that glittering start he's gone to shipping three goals in ten minutes at home while playing for the 19th best team in Scotland, he can hardly feel that it's someone else's fault if that's his last game.

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Considering that McGinty was headhunted by Alex Ferguson to go to Man U he can hardly be unused to the notion of a manager being prepared to do whatever is necessary, to whomever it is necessary, to re-establish control of a game.

Also considering that from that glittering start he's gone to shipping three goals in ten minutes at home while playing for the 19th best team in Scotland, he can hardly feel that it's someone else's fault if that's his last game.

I don't think he was even at fault for the equaliser but I'm willing to be proven wrong by the footage. 

Tonight summed up the season, stupid mistakes and pissing about cost us.

We were flying and looked like we could win 2-3 nil and we conceded a soft goal, then immediately conceded another, which has been a problem for a while, we concede a goal and fall apart.

Brown got Tomlinson ready as soon as the first goal went in, he stood in the dugout for the last 10-15 minutes. He can have a go at McGinty all he likes, but the majority of the second half was Clark to Sanders, to Clark, to Sanders, to Clark, to Stanger, boot up the park, lose the ball. 
Persevering with playing out from the back with players not capable isn’t Sean McGintys fault. He’s first and foremost a very good defender and we will need that going forward. 
Ben Dempsey did most of the defending in the second half and made 4-5 goal saving challenges. 

We were best when we were running at Dunfermline but as soon as they scored, we couldn’t find two passes. 

Tomlinson got at them down the right when he came on, McRoberts was very good, certainly compared to Willoughby, who returns down south with my best wishes. Chalmers was lively and maybe could have got 1-2. 
Pleasing to come back in to the game and a few players got stuck in. 

This season should be taken round the back of the railway end and get 2 in the back of the head. 

re-watched it and Musonda's pass is too heavy and nothing McGinty could have done thou who knows what could have happen in the changing rooms his comments seem to indicate he blames McGinty but i'm looking at Clarke and thinking he's gonna need a lot of work if he's going to be our number 1 next season

I do find Brown is willing to cut his own signings more slack than some of those he inherited. He signalled for Tomlinson in the 40th minute after McGinty committed a foul which I thought was soft.

If Sanders was here when he arrived and McGinty was signed in January then I doubt the same player would have been subbed tonight. McGinty will never be a ball playing CB but I'd argue that Sanders isn't any better on the ball and the rest of the defence are prone to going long. Been clear since QP away that they possibly wouldn't get on but shame if he was forced out.

3 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

If Sanders was here when he arrived and McGinty was signed in January then I doubt the same player would have been subbed tonight.

If it weren't the last game of the season with the club safe then neither of them would have been subbed.

If Brown genuinely wants to play out from the back in this league then he's going to need to completely clear the defence out now that he has a chance. Sanders is already no longer an Ayr player anyway.

15 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

I do find Brown is willing to cut his own signings more slack than some of those he inherited. He signalled for Tomlinson in the 40th minute after McGinty committed a foul which I thought was soft.

If Sanders was here when he arrived and McGinty was signed in January then I doubt the same player would have been subbed tonight. McGinty will never be a ball playing CB but I'd argue that Sanders isn't any better on the ball and the rest of the defence are prone to going long. Been clear since QP away that they possibly wouldn't get on but shame if he was forced out.

He also alluded to having very high standards for his captain in one of his first interviews.

Bit of a shame if that’s his last game. He’s limited but he’s improved massively since the Hopkin days.

Posted (edited)

Tonight’s game aside, I’d be content enough with any of the centre backs staying. From what I’m reading here it seemed a comedy of errors. That happens. But over the piece of a season They’ll be fine if we get more quality in full back positions and bring in some dig in the middle. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

5 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Tonight’s game aside, I’d be content enough with any of the centre backs staying. From what I’m reading here it seemed a comedy of errors. That happens. But over the piece of a season They’ll be fine if we get more quality in full back positions and bring in some dig in the middle. 

For a team playing with 4 CBs you'd think we could defend a set peice or simple cross. We should also be able to play simple passes at the back without shitting the bed and gifting goals every game. 

Id be happy for all the CBs to get binned although Stanger has potential.

Crazy game of football tonight.  However, I do hope the Dunfermline goalie is OK.

There could easily have been a few more goals in that game. 

Pleased for Lucas McRoberts to get his first senior goal.

It was probably a nice enough way to finish what was a bit of a challenging season for the team. 

Feels like a good time to look forward though, with the new stand opening, and will be interesting to see how the squad gets shaped over the summer. 

(Really wish it was summer football in Scotland)

Could be exciting times ahead..

P.s. Proud as punch picking up the new home top tonight! 😁

2 minutes ago, LFMCF2 said:

Crazy game of football tonight.  However, I do hope the Dunfermline goalie is OK.

There could easily have been a few more goals in that game. 

Pleased for Lucas McRoberts to get his first senior goal.

It was probably a nice enough way to finish what was a bit of a challenging season for the team. 

Feels like a good time to look forward though, with the new stand opening, and will be interesting to see how the squad gets shaped over the summer. 

(Really wish it was summer football in Scotland)

Could be exciting times ahead..

P.s. Proud as punch picking up the new home top tonight! 😁

I prefer to enjoy my summers. 

20 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

"That happens" has happened far too many times this season. 

19 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

If I have read the stats right Ayr have conceded more goals than any other team in the league with the exception of relegated Arbroath! That might suggest the defence needs surgery?

i would say it's more then just the defence (not saying we don't need improvements it's obvious we do) but the midfield has been very poor when it comes to defending losing almost every 50/50, we've missed Murdoch a lot this season and it shows

1 minute ago, Its not only a game said:

If I have read the stats right Ayr have conceded more goals than any other team in the league with the exception of relegated Arbroath! That might suggest the defence needs surgery?

Pretty much Same defence last season had 2nd or 3rd best record. This discussion is largely for the birds tbh. 

But Im not sat here saying that all of them should stay no matter what. If we can find better players then great.
But we’ve got less dig across the park than we had last year. Murdoch being out and Akinyemi effectively taking three players out a game has been huge.
The entire midfield and full back areas are just a flume directing pressure onto whoever was back 2. And Albinson was a total mediocrity for his time in nets this season.  That all contributes to the shite GD.

Id rather we brought in better players in the middle of the park and in full back areas to relieve the pressure a bit. 

I’ve watched so many games this year where we’ve looked weak as water in the middle of the park and we end up inviting so much pressure. It’s inevitable that we’ll concede 

6 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

the midfield has been very poor when it comes to defending

I think it's a reasonable assumption that the manager's expectations in this particular area are a) high and b) unmet.

It could go completely unfixed and Ayr would still get a great many more points if every cross into the box didn't devolve into a Marx Bros comedy.

Dunfermline goalie was loosing consciousness after he went down and after going off hence the blue light ambulance as we left. Murdoch to get offered short term deal to prove over injury for start of new season rumour has it.