The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

His teams never seem capable of grinding out results or winning games when playing absolutely gash. Everything is either going for him or all against him. 

See Auchinleck Talbot game and first half at Alloa in September 2019 for proof of both extremes.

7 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

See Auchinleck Talbot game and first half at Alloa in September 2019 for proof of both extremes.

I think we put David Ferguson left back against alloa and Cawley ripped him to shreds that day.

3 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I think we put David Ferguson left back against alloa and Cawley ripped him to shreds that day.

Pretty sure they also got a penalty for f**k all and Jim Goodwin played centre back but spent most of the game lying on his arse. 

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Pretty sure they also got a penalty for f**k all and Jim Goodwin played centre back but spent most of the game lying on his arse. 

25 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I came out of that game talking to my school head teacher about how utterly unplayable we were and how we were top of the league. We then lost McCall and finished 4th with no playoffs.

Ah well. Win some you lose some.

29 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Ferguson never played that day just checked. Was an elite Ayr XI that went in 4-0 up at half time. Good times

7 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I came out of that game talking to my school head teacher about how utterly unplayable we were and how we were top of the league. We then lost McCall and finished 4th with no playoffs.

Ah well. Win some you lose some.

7 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Ferguson never played that day just checked. Was an elite Ayr XI that went in 4-0 up at half time. Good times

Just realised I’m two years off as well. The game I’m on about took place in 2017 in League One. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Peil said:

I'm hoping it's St Johnstone in the play off spot, simply on the off chance there is a second relegation it saves us trailing up to Dingwall in November 

And miss out on the chance to sample the delights of the Mallard and the Wimpy?? 

(Hopeful that St J will go down via playoffs…) 

Edited by Lanky Highlander
Typo - no bloody glasses on…

Posted (edited)

That first half up at Alloa, McCall's last game as Ayr manager, was probably as impressive a performance as I have ever seen from an Ayr team. 

Just ridiculously good. f**k you Thistle.

Edited by AUcal

8 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

And miss out on the chance to sample the delights of the Mallard and the Wimpy?? 

(Hopeful that St J will go down via playoffs…) 

I see what you're saying, but the bumbling up the A9 stick behind a lorry isn't appealing for a 0-0 on a Tuesday night

7 minutes ago, AUcal said:

That first half up at Alloa, McCall's last game as Ayr manager, was probably as impressive a performance as I have ever seen from an Ayr team. 

Just ridiculously good. f**k you Thistle.

I never went to this game. However I still maintain that the following week against Arbroath when Sandy Stewart took charge had the best first half performance from any Ayr side I’ve ever seen. Arbroath couldn’t get near us for 45 minutes and we utterly destroyed them. It was 3-0 going on about 5 or 6. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Peil said:

I see what you're saying, but the bumbling up the A9 stick behind a lorry isn't appealing for a 0-0 on a Tuesday night

In that case I must play the trump card of the County venison pies, a thing worth travelling for 😂. See yesterday’s exhibit…

IMG_2943.jpeg

Edited by Lanky Highlander

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I never went to this game. However I still maintain that the following week against Arbroath when Sandy Stewart took charge had the best first half performance from any Ayr side I’ve ever seen. Arbroath couldn’t get near us for 45 minutes and we utterly destroyed them. It was 3-0 going on about 5 or 6. 

Agreed, Arbroath the week after was almost a carbon copy. They just couldn't live with us and we could have scored many more.

At that point I had a lot of hope about where the season could still go. Then we somewhat fizzled out and a global pandemic hit.

Do we really want St Johnstone coming down? they are going to have new American owners who I assume will have money and who certainly won't want them in the championship long, more than happy to see the prem team stay up meaning it's a pretty level financial playing field for the first time I can remember, I think any one of the ten teams will have a shout and if we can get this window right why can't it be us Martin Luther King Jr Mlk GIF by Identity

18 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

Do we really want St Johnstone coming down? they are going to have new American owners who I assume will have money and who certainly won't want them in the championship long, more than happy to see the prem team stay up meaning it's a pretty level financial playing field for the first time I can remember

Exactly, it's unclear what the financial situation at St Johnstone will be and I'd much rather have a championship where we know that we could realistically compete with all of the other teams. (Obviously there is a massive caveat there about how our own summer recruitment goes).

Posted (edited)

If the playoffs end up a waste of time and we have the 10 we currently now have with Livingston and Falkirk replacing Arbroath and Dundee United then it's going to be a rough old league next year IMO. 

Signings need to be bang on as we would probably be seeing the first league I can remember where every team has an (or v close to) equal chance of 1st and 10th :lol:

Edited by itzdrk

10 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Managers have levels, McCall is a top 4 championship manager. He'd have Clyde in the Championship in 4 seasons with the right backing. 

It's getting beyond that he seems to have a problem. 

He may well have got beyond that last season but for boardroom politics. Difficult to tell how far he could get to in the correct set up. Has managed in the league above with his time being brought to an end via Ladbrokes rather than poor results. Although that was a long time ago and the game has moved on since then. Someone with far more resource than Clyde should be taking a punt on him though. 

I wonder if McCall would take the QoS job. A sorta similar situation to when he came in to take over Ayr, albeit he joined us half way through the season.

3 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Jobby is box office though you can't deny that.

I didn’t realise there were so many McCall flatearthers. A lucky manager who’s assistants/coaches were the real brains etc etc