The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Its the hope that kills you

1 hour ago, Superhursty7 said:

I'd say it's the hope that keeps you coming back year after year after year, one year though it will be our year and hopefully it's this one but by God some times it's a labour of love.

Still waiting on Millwall to win the Uefa Cup!

44 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

It's still f**king surreal for everyone else here that Rob MacLean is doing the same job here that would have previously been filled by Callum or a second year at Craigie, right?

7 hours ago, Hursty said:

It really really shouldn't.   With Dowds and Oakley we are going 2 up front and I'd say we have the best strike force in the league if fit.    That's 2 of the best "centre forwards" in the league.  

I know it shouldn't but what backup/ competition is there for those 2? One injury or suspension and the gameplan is scuppered. I think both of them would benefit from someone chasing their starting place in the team. Other than that, all the team really needs strengthened in, is centre midfield.

I’m keen to see Walker given some more minutes instead of Bryden when Dowds or Oakley are coming off.

He looked to offer something in his brief cameo roles so far.

He seems quite strong and pacy.

11 hours ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

Don't bite, am no takin you out on a date lad 😉 Just my opinion. Rus is great, I wanted 10 of him in, and the dross we still have, gone. That's what I wanted. I also wanted the areas we've been needing to bolster, bolstered! Above all, I wanted everyone in and settled before the seaon started. Since Brown came in, we've not had a settled team. These were the noises the club itself was making. 

Show me a  club at our level where everybody gets signed in advance of the season? You could probably go up a few levels and the same rule applies. Some of the best signings are also made nearer the deadline when players dropping down the way settle their future. I would say getting the bulk of the squad signed is about as good as it gets then a few just before the window shuts.

It's also worth pointing out the work involved sorting our squad was never going to be practical in one window without a limitless pot. ITake a look at at what the other teams are up to first before thinking we aren't doing our job correctly as right now nobody runs in a ideal way  

On this not having everyone signed up or a Big name signings I'm very happy with our recruitment and hopefully it's not done, but remember our best signing of at least the last 20 years was a free agent, last chance saloon, after the window closed, look at him now

I thought with Murdoch moving out, a new signing would have been made this week but it looks like him going out was to suit Clyde and Murdoch wasn’t going to be part of the plan anyway. 

Might be an end of the window signing now

40 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Show me a  club at our level where everybody gets signed in advance of the season? You could probably go up a few levels and the same rule applies. Some of the best signings are also made nearer the deadline when players dropping down the way settle their future. I would say getting the bulk of the squad signed is about as good as it gets then a few just before the window shuts.

It's also worth pointing out the work involved sorting our squad was never going to be practical in one window without a limitless pot. ITake a look at at what the other teams are up to first before thinking we aren't doing our job correctly as right now nobody runs in a ideal way  

26 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

On this not having everyone signed up or a Big name signings I'm very happy with our recruitment and hopefully it's not done, but remember our best signing of at least the last 20 years was a free agent, last chance saloon, after the window closed, look at him now

I love yer optimistic view, I really do. I guess the proof will be in the pudding lads.... say after the first 10 games....! As I said, this isn't some missed placed expectation of my own but the vibes that the club were putting out and even a few from the club that post on here. That's why I'm disappointed. Regardless, I am positive and buzzin. 

Not that Im suggesting he is a signing target, but was reading yesterday that Alex Lowry at Rangers has been told he is free to find another clubs as he has no future there. You would assume there are probably a few others in the same situation that have been told they are free to leave if they can get something else. Did Harvie and Smith not cut short their contracts so they were free to get a new club when we signed them? There are probably a few players at Premiership clubs that are good players but never going to break into the first team that would rather be playing in the Championship than kicking their heels.

28 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I thought with Murdoch moving out, a new signing would have been made this week but it looks like him going out was to suit Clyde and Murdoch wasn’t going to be part of the plan anyway. 

Might be an end of the window signing now

Believe Murdoch going wasn't a trigger to bring anyone in.  However we were always looking at a midfielder coming in regardless of Murdoch going or staying.  Thought we would have had someone in by now going be Browns press conference pre Hamilton and Mathie interview saying a couple in and a couple out.  Only one out since then.

15 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Not that Im suggesting he is a signing target, but was reading yesterday that Alex Lowry at Rangers has been told he is free to find another clubs as he has no future there. You would assume there are probably a few others in the same situation that have been told they are free to leave if they can get something else. Did Harvie and Smith not cut short their contracts so they were free to get a new club when we signed them? There are probably a few players at Premiership clubs that are good players but never going to break into the first team that would rather be playing in the Championship than kicking their heels.

Not sure if he is the type of midfielder we will be looking for.  Coupled with the fact he'll think he is above the Championship with being at Rangers and on loan at Hearts last season.  Done nothing at both as well.

12 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Believe Murdoch going wasn't a trigger to bring anyone in.  However we were always looking at a midfielder coming in regardless of Murdoch going or staying.  Thought we would have had someone in by now going be Browns press conference pre Hamilton and Mathie interview saying a couple in and a couple out.  Only one out since then.

I took those comments to mean that they had players arranged, possibly loans coming in once teams were set up for the season. Celtic have signed two goalkeepers, so will need bodies in before they will let fringe players out on loan for instance. English teams finish pre-season this week. 

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

It's still f**king surreal for everyone else here that Rob MacLean is doing the same job here that would have previously been filled by Callum or a second year at Craigie, right?

I was under the impression when he first came in that he'd be in the background coaching/mentoring the media side, very please that he's clearly been pushed to the forefront as the quality of output has increased tenfold. No harm on those who would have previously covered this, as you can't really compared the levels of experience on show. 

29 minutes ago, honestly united said:

You would assume there are probably a few others in the same situation that have been told they are free to leave if they can get something else. Did Harvie and Smith not cut short their contracts so they were free to get a new club when we signed them?

Think you are right, typically mid august once the league cup groups are by and first round or two of fixtures have been played that Premiership sides start to trim. 

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

Yes, also surreal that Scott Brown seems to being interviewed in a Hollywood nightmare.

Another midfielder gives us options. We can drop a striker to try and control games more or Rus can shift out onto the wing if he isn’t having much luck through the middle. It’s a long season and a brutal league so both Rus and Dempsey will need a break especially when you get a wee pile up of games after winter. 

15 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

If we sign a CM then are we bumping our captain or our best player?

None, give us the option to play 5 in the midfield and one up top which will be needed in certain games.