The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Even with him signed I'd still be surprised if we would let him go to play two practice games against Finnish league teams if we don't have to release him. 

Would it not be up to Aston Villa?

11 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

Would it not be up to Aston Villa?

There's some weird nuance in that e.g. Anderson was Aberdeen's player because it was domestic but Sinisalo is ours while we have him because he's crossed a border, it's treated as a temporary transfer rather than a loan. 

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

There's some weird nuance in that e.g. Anderson was Aberdeen's player because it was domestic but Sinisalo is ours while we have him because he's crossed a border, it's treated as a temporary transfer rather than a loan. 

Thanks for the confirmation ItzSkylineDrk

Edited by mugen_power

This league is nuts. 8 points between 2nd and 9th and any run of form catapults a team from relegation candidates to promotion hopefuls in a matter of weeks. See QOS for details. They were relegated until our arses collapsed at Palmerston and now look at them. A few weeks ago ICT had a shed load of games in hand and were viewed as dark horses for the play-offs when they had caught up. Well, they have now caught up and are indeed in a play-off place, just not the one you expected. Only 1 win in about 10 games, surprisingly enough against Ayr.
Who knows where we are going to finish this year. Above 9th will be fine. Above 5th would be astonishing considering how piss poor we have been for such a large chunk of the season, but as we have seen a wee run of form can do that for you.

1 hour ago, yorkshirepud said:

Above 9th will be fine. Above 5th would be astonishing considering how piss poor we have been for such a large chunk of the season, but as we have seen a wee run of form can do that for you.

Above 5th would be astonishing. I reckon 4th place will be around the 40/41 points mark. To get there we'd need 19/20 points from 27 points available. It's certainly mathematically possible but feels improbable.

As you say, safety is the top priority and from where we were form wise anything above 9th would be tolerable.

Edited by Trogdor

34 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Poor old VOR he used to get all the exclusives but now can only re report on radio interviews and what he sees on social media bet he misses his mate McCall

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-owner-david-smith-23655215

"I was a bit blown away by the amount of candidates we got and the calibre as they were coming through - there were a few times I raised my eyebrows at some of the names because it was incredible."

I mean, if it's the same names that have been bandied around here then I question his judgement. Unless this is just meant as the usual soundbite dross.

35 minutes ago, Iain said:

With our final game against Hearts coming this weekend it's a reminder that the end of the season will be here soon. Has flown by.

Had a look at out last four games and they are Pars (H) Arbroath (A) QOS (H) ICT (A)

Wouldn't really like to still be in the mix with they last two considering how well we do against them historically. ICT especially if they continue their current run.

40 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

"I was a bit blown away by the amount of candidates we got and the calibre as they were coming through - there were a few times I raised my eyebrows at some of the names because it was incredible."

I mean, if it's the same names that have been bandied around here then I question his judgement. Unless this is just meant as the usual soundbite dross.

He did then go on to say "but we set a criteria for what we were looking for as a club" so it could refer to people with a playing career at a high level but no managerial experience.

I think the type of game which was allowed to be played last night compared to the last couple of games on terrible grass pitches it gives you a pretty strong argument for going with a very high standard astro IMO

13 minutes ago, Iain said:

Last night's pitch looked a step above the artificial surfaces in the Premier League.

They spent an absolute fortune on it as they wanted to do it properly rather than lowest bidder. Can't remember the exact sum but sure it wasn't much change out of a million including the associated works around it. 

41 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I think the type of game which was allowed to be played last night compared to the last couple of games on terrible grass pitches it gives you a pretty strong argument for going with a very high standard astro IMO

Cost prohibitive for me. I know the pitch has been shocking this season (new groundsman required?) but you're talking about shelling out hundreds of thousands to install a artificial and then to maintain it so it gets a decent life. I'm not convinced there is an enormous payback with bookings etc. Maybe if it was subsidised in part by the government; lottery or some such but then given the current environment its unlikely there would be funding available.

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Cost prohibitive for me. I know the pitch has been shocking this season (new groundsman required?) but you're talking about shelling out hundreds of thousands to install a artificial and then to maintain it so it gets a decent life. I'm not convinced there is an enormous payback with bookings etc. Maybe if it was subsidised in part by the government; lottery or some such but then given the current environment its unlikely there would be funding available.

There are various grants available, but I think that might be dependant on community use as well.  

But there are other places that might make it possible to save money.  For example, an artificial pitch would reduce the number of postponed games in winter quite considerably (it would have to be torrential rain for days to flood or extreme cold like we saw at Livingston this season) which helps with lost gate revenues.  It could also be used for training, reducing the cost of hiring facilities elsewhere.  

Personally, I'm a big fan of a high-quality artificial pitch.  If we're not going to entertain the idea of switching to summer football then we should be seriously considering 4G pitches being the norm in the lower leagues.  Our winters are cold and harsh, and consider the state of the grass pitches in Scotland post Christmas and you can see the damage that's done to them.  

Unless there's significant improvements made to our current grass pitch, whether that's through new equipment and new/more ground staff, I'm for a surface like Raith's.

We talk about wanting to be entertained? I want to see slick passes that don't bobble, players controlling the ball without it being a lottery where it ends up, passing it back to the GK and not worrying about it ending up with a horrendous miskick...

Last night was a much better watch than what we've been seeing at Somerset, where our pitch is terrible. Would be very interesting to hear what players actually think, afterall they're the ones playing on it.