The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Timmins was the reason we signed Sam Ramsbottom. He was supposed to be this... super scout/GK coach rolled into one and brought in no-one who was any good whilst we had the worst goalkeeper in the league who only got worse as time progressed. 

The general consensus was he came up from England thinking this was a pub league and he could bring along any old chancer and they'd stroll it. If he's got over that then maybe he'll be half decent.

Would he not also be the reason you got McAdams on that basis?

50 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Timmins clearly got it very very wrong with Ramsbottom but if he was responsible for bringing players up from England he clearly didn’t do much work as they only really signed the goalie and Salkeld. Unless he was also scouting players in this country as well or there are other signings made from England that I am not aware of.

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Would he not also be the reason you got McAdams on that basis?

We only brought in Ramsbottom, Salkeld and Colville up from England while he was involved. Ramsbottom was, entirely, Timmin's shout. Salkeld was recommend to Hopkin while he was at Bradford City and Colville had worked with Hopkin at Bradford City so no real input from Timmins there.. Timmins remit was to find players in England and McAdams came in on trial after returning to Scotland following a few months in Northern Ireland after playing for Edinburgh City and Rangers youth. I doubt Timmins had anything to do with "spotting" McAdams but, if he did, he waited until near enough the start of the season to find him and then couldn't find another goalkeeper to even sit on the bench. Even last year when we had Danny Rogers, who was well thought of at other clubs he played, he was a bit of a bombscare so no idea what Timmins was doing to coach him.

Timmins CV shows that he should be useful at something but, whatever it is, he never showed it at Cappielow. Maybe he was stretched too thin as a coach and scout in one. If you already have a GK coach in place and he can focus on other areas maybe he'll do a great job. 

We only brought in Ramsbottom, Salkeld and Colville up from England while he was involved. Ramsbottom was, entirely, Timmin's shout. Salkeld was recommend to Hopkin while he was at Bradford City and Colville had worked with Hopkin at Bradford City so no real input from Timmins there.. Timmins remit was to find players in England and McAdams came in on trial after returning to Scotland following a few months in Northern Ireland after playing for Edinburgh City and Rangers youth. I doubt Timmins had anything to do with "spotting" McAdams but, if he did, he waited until near enough the start of the season to find him and then couldn't find another goalkeeper to even sit on the bench. Even last year when we had Danny Rogers, who was well thought of at other clubs he played, he was a bit of a bombscare so no idea what Timmins was doing to coach him.

Timmins CV shows that he should be useful at something but, whatever it is, he never showed it at Cappielow. Maybe he was stretched too thin as a coach and scout in one. If you already have a GK coach in place and he can focus on other areas maybe he'll do a great job. 

Yeah we’ve already got Derek Stillie who seems to have done pretty well coaching Ross Doohan and now Sinisalo so I’d imagine Timmins will focus more on scouting players in England.

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Timmins was the reason we signed Sam Ramsbottom. He was supposed to be this... super scout/GK coach rolled into one and brought in no-one who was any good whilst we had the worst goalkeeper in the league who only got worse as time progressed. 

The general consensus was he came up from England thinking this was a pub league and he could bring along any old chancer and they'd stroll it. If he's got over that then maybe he'll be half decent.

I think far too much was made of the Timmins super scout thing by the fans. It was mentioned briefly when he was appointed as Goalkeeping Coach (GK coach. Not head of recruitment or anything) that he would also do a bit of scouting and that he had decent contacts down south. Which coach doesn't also do a bit of scouting whether it's games or players?

But apart from when Ramsbottom signed (and it was attributed to him having worked with him before, not that he scouted him) and that Timmins watched Salkeld a few times, involvement in recruitment/scouting or anything like that was never mentioned or evident again.

With just how woeful Ramsbottom was, the fans clung onto the super scout thing and his cards were marked from then and it was used as a stick to beat him with. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

With just how woeful Ramsbottom was, the fans clung onto the super scout thing and his cards were marked from then and it was used as a stick to beat him with. 

And rightly so.

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If I’m being completely honest, it probably is a bit worrying that we appear to just be copying a failure of a coaching team from Morton. 

I'm beginning to worry that tbh, this could be an expensive mistake by Smith!

I'm just waiting on his signing some jobber striker on loan from England who's scored about 2 goals in his career

I wanted McIntyre/Dodds over Hopkin and i still have that viewpoint.

Noticed the talk post hearts game by Hopkin was about staying up and managing to win "3/4 games between now and the end of the season to get the job done". A farcry from Kerr who seemed to up until the day he got sacked think we could make the promotion play-offs

Edited by rb123!

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I'm just waiting on his signing some jobber striker on loan from England who's scored about 2 goals in his career

After one game , I think some people need to calm down and see how a guy who was successful at our level only 2/3 seasons ago settles in , working under a totally different atmosphere and more than probable higher budget could make a difference to how he coaches and who he signs , anyone thinking Smith will persevere  with an underperforming management team  are way wrong , many many managers have been square pegs in round holes 

Edited by Robbo63

Noticed the talk post hearts game by Hopkin was about staying up and managing to win "3/4 games between now and the end of the season to get the job done". A farcry from Kerr who seemed to up until the day he got sacked think we could make the promotion play-offs

I’d rather we had a manager who actually recognised the situation we are in rather than Kerr only at the last minute realising we might actually be in bother.

McCall came out with something equally ridiculous in 16-17 when he finally admitted in January or February that we were in a relegation battle.

I’m hoping that Timmins will just be used to bring guys up for trials where we can actually judge them and that given we’ll have more money than Morton will be able to look at a bit higher than the Sam Ramsbottoms of this world. As far as goalies go surely we should be asking Celtic about Doohan in the summer. The guys clearly isn’t going to be in their plans and they might be able to hand him over for a small fee. Having Stillie at the club might help us in that regard.

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If I’m being completely honest, it probably is a bit worrying that we appear to just be copying a failure of a coaching team from Morton. 

8 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Penny starting to drop.

heads or tails spinning GIF

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think you will find the target he was set by the board was to keep the team in the Championship this season , he is only repeating his challenge, no matter how many times Kerr said we could make the top 4 realistically with the way we were playing that was cloud cuckoo land 

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

And rightly so.

29 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If he had been announced as the tea lady I would still want him hounded out the club if he had anything to do with Ramsbottom being signed

Don't get me wrong, the Ramsbottom debacle should have been a sacking offence alone.

Poor Sam, must be hard to take realising that he was the only one of the shower of misfits of a squad not to get a new deal for this season and that it's March and we have chosen to go this long without a backup keeper as a preferable option to having him.

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

After one game , I think some people need to calm down and see how a guy who was successful at our level only 2/3 seasons ago settles in , working under a totally different atmosphere and more than probable higher budget could make a difference to how he coaches and who he signs , anyone thinking Smith will persevere  with an underperforming management team  are way wrong , many many managers have been square pegs in round holes 

Cant disagree with you at all here.

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Strange if it is Timmins when he only joined Rochdale in January.

It’s definitely him , he was at training today , doing assistant manager role,  as current goalkeeping coach will remain in his position 

I said after the Arbroath game, that we had 4 games in 2 weeks. At the start of the season, I would have expected 7 out of 12 points from those games. Under Kerr, I didn't think we would get any. 

Simply by the fact Kerr is not at the club any more, we have 4 points with the potential to make it 7 tomorrow night. 

Morton were average under Duffy, piss poor under Johansson and below average under Hopkin. They look like they have been ran like a going concern rather than a football club for years.  Hopkin did well in a rare period of stability in Livingstons history. 

For some reason, and I genuinely don't know what it is, but there seems to be a lot of  people with an agenda towards Hopkin in Scottish football. He got Livingston promoted twice but it was clearly Martindale who was the brains. 

Bradford, he was in charge for 5 months, He was the 5th manager Bradford had that year. He started after the window shut in 2018 and left in February 2019. 7 wins out of 35 is pretty poor going. Kerr was 13 in 41. 

Morton, 18 Months in charge, 17 wins in 48, inherited a mess from Johansson, Finished 6th, 4 points off a play-off place in the first season, credible but not remarkable. 

For some reason he doesn't get credit for the three years at Livingston and all the blame for the 2 years at Morton and Bradford. 

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Morton, 18 Months in charge, 17 wins in 48, inherited a mess from Johansson, Finished 6th, 4 points off a play-off place in the first season, credible but not remarkable. 

I should point out, if we finish 6th next season in the Championship, I will not see it as commendable. If we finish 6th in League one I expect he'll have left before then. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

’m hoping that Timmins will just be used to bring guys up for trials where we can actually judge them and that given we’ll have more money than Morton will be able to look at a bit higher than the Sam Ramsbottoms of this world.

This is pretty much concurring with what a Morton shareholder told me . He told be he wasn’t allowed to get the players he wanted at Morton  due to cost , and had to go with the downgraded version . Time will tell .