The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I get what you’re trying to say but what are the club supposed to say? “Sorry that we’ve been beaten by other clubs to players we tried to get in”.

It’s not common practise for a club to issue such statements no matter how depressing their transfer window has been.
That's true but the communication from the club just now is at an all time low we are lucky to get a 3 minute interview with Hopkin before and after games and a match preview tweet but we are still expected to by tickets, streams, merch etc it's not hard to try and use social media the AP and B&W TV to try and drum up a wee bit of excitement.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I get what you’re trying to say but what are the club supposed to say? “Sorry that we’ve been beaten by other clubs to players we tried to get in”.

It’s not common practise for a club to issue such statements no matter how depressing their transfer window has been.

All they really have to say is they are still pursuing players, so we don’t have the impression they are doing absolutely nothing. We don’t really need anything more specific than that. I think it’s poor to say several weeks ago that we were looking for certain types of players, then the Burnley news and since then complete radio silence. 

Not expecting a statement either, but a brief update in the AP is generally what usually happens. 

All they really have to say is they are still pursuing players, so we don’t have the impression they are doing absolutely nothing. We don’t really need anything more specific than that. I think it’s poor to say several weeks ago that we were looking for certain types of players, then the Burnley news and since then complete radio silence. 

Not expecting a statement either, but a brief update in the AP is generally what usually happens. 

Aye maybe you’re right. I’m just very much of the opinion that the club shouldn’t say much until they are in the position to say for certain that a signing is happening. I think most of us knew about a week ago nothing was going to happen and had the club said something like that then it would just be a bit depressing.

As I’ve said before though, the whole media side of the club is needing looked at.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Aye maybe you’re right. I’m just very much of the opinion that the club shouldn’t say much until they are in the position to say for certain that a signing is happening. I think most of us knew about a week ago nothing was going to happen and had the club said something like that then it would just be a bit depressing.

As I’ve said before though, the whole media side of the club is needing looked at.

I think it’s just an incredibly frustrating time for all of us, as you say we all knew nothing would be happening. 

I think with how long it’s been since there has been any discussion on us bringing players in, it would be good for the message to be reinforced that they are working hard to get the right players in. Otherwise, we all start to get more and more frustrated as there is no news whatsoever and we assume nothing is being done. 

I think it’s just an incredibly frustrating time for all of us, as you say we all knew nothing would be happening. 

I think with how long it’s been since there has been any discussion on us bringing players in, it would be good for the message to be reinforced that they are working hard to get the right players in. Otherwise, we all start to get more and more frustrated as there is no news whatsoever and we assume nothing is being done. 

Hopkin clearly knows that there will be no movement and instead of him coming out and telling us we have to work with what we’ve got and that we’ll give it our best shot he’s just kinda sat back and hoped we’ll all not notice we’ve not signed anyone to fix the massive deficiencies in our squad.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hopkin clearly knows that there will be no movement and instead of him coming out and telling us we have to work with what we’ve got and that we’ll give it our best shot he’s just kinda sat back and hoped we’ll all not notice we’ve not signed anyone to fix the massive deficiencies in our squad.

If that was the case I think they would be as well just telling us, as otherwise the frustration will just continue to build over the next few weeks! 

I think the frustration is quicker to appear this year as we have Kilmarnock in the league - and with the state we are in we all know we could be experiencing four routine defeats. 

I actually had a bit of a moan at the club via email today about the way things are going at present, the Raith rearrangement was the straw that broke me.

Mentioned Comms being really poor at present and, suggested they could maybe approach the college or uni to offer the opportunity to students if the club doesn't have the resources.  Would be absolutely stunned if they bother to respond, but it was a nice piece of therapy.

8 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I actually had a bit of a moan at the club via email today about the way things are going at present, the Raith rearrangement was the straw that broke me.

Mentioned Comms being really poor at present and, suggested they could maybe approach the college or uni to offer the opportunity to students if the club doesn't have the resources.  Would be absolutely stunned if they bother to respond, but it was a nice piece of therapy.

Would be good to know if they respond - they are appalling at responding to emails in my experience. Even when you are ignored and then go into the club to enquire as to the best person to contact directly - and are then ignored again. 

I hope they at least issue a statement about the Raith game, even if they are not going to see sense - it should really have been issued today though. I don’t exactly want to feel resentful about the way things are being dealt with - not sure I could justify continuing to pay into 500 fund etc unless things improve. 

Edited by No_Problemo

25 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

They have the resources. 

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Would be good to know if they respond - they are appalling at responding to emails in my experience. Even when you are ignored and then go into the club to enquire as to the best person to contact directly - and are then ignored again. 

I hope they at least issue a statement about the Raith game, even if they are not going to see sense - it should really have been issued today though. I don’t exactly want to feel resentful about the way things are being dealt with - not sure I could justify continuing to pay into 500 fund etc unless things improve

Not sure how much longer I want to part-fund Dave Smith's brexitball experiment either man.  

Morton signing a very good striker at this level as well as two loans from English Premiership clubs - one of which being the holding midfielder we need certainly adds to the frustration. Particularly given the Burnley situation. 

ETA, a holding midfielder that actually spent a decent amount of time at league one level in England last season. 

Edited by No_Problemo

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I hate to add to the doom and gloom, but I see Queens Park signed a young lad on loan from Liverpool. Very annoying that teams like QP can attract English Prem loan deals and we cant even get boys on loan from a club we have a partnership with 🙄

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The club already trickles this out through the Voice of Ayr (a theoretically pseudonomous account belonging to a now essentially defunct local paper) or through club volunteers who like getting clout on internet forums.

In the dim and distant past of [checks notes] two years ago, the manager used to give updates like this.

From the initial excitement of the Dave Smith takeover, it’s been more or less a sharp decline. The running of the club seems to have gotten worse since Cameron departed. Today for example, Paul Smiths loan wouldn’t have been announced had it not been brought up in here or on Twitter. Things need to change rapidly, but I fear for the future.