The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The stadium issue never held us back though. If stopped Falkirk getting promoted but we were never in that position, there was plans to groundshare if it did. We are a Dumbarton, Airdrie and Falkirk, we need to move up a level. 

Yes, but for whatever reason the new stadiums seemed to bring an injection of cash, fans and success to many of the clubs, although it also brought major problems for others.

In some respects we maybe did better than some, getting our day in the sun in a league cup final and a scottish semi plus lots of exciting signings over a 3 or 4 year period, on the other hand the likes of Motherwell and Hamilton have had limited but sustained success and of course St Johnstone have moved to another level recently.

Who knows the answer ? but I would certainly like to see the club back in the top division even if just for a season or two.

38 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd think most would have put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4 plus the extreme likelihood that "loans" would indeed be forthcoming.

As you say, it wasn't "guaranteed", however it kind of makes a mockery of their U23's coming up to play us and the direct quote of "allowing hopkin to run the rule over them", if we were never likely to get any of them.

Take Ipswich, we DON'T have a partnership with them, yet have had a couple of players on loan from them and up to train with us over the past couple of seasons so from a supporters perspective I've got much more interest / and thanks directed towards Ipswich than our supposed "partners" of Burnley.

Just an outsider looking in who remembered the Burnley statement and everything strategic was labelled a certainty, but loans a maybe. Also the fact that they announced multiple partners making loans more challenging.

Even the game you mentioned, weren't games/tournaments to be arranged for all levels and the women's team at all the partner clubs so even that wasn't a hint that it was for loan spotting?

Hopkin obviously assumed it was if he went 'I'll take those 3' and Burnley laughed and said 'will ye f**k.'

Edited by Jamie_M

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Just an outsider looking in who remembered the Burnley statement and everything strategic was labelled a certainty, but loans a maybe. Also the fact that they announced multiple partners making loans more challenging.

Even the game you mentioned, weren't games/tournaments to be arranged for all levels and the women's team at all the partner clubs so even that wasn't a hint that it was for loan spotting?

The offer of loans is open, Ayr identified 2 players that Burnley weren't willing to loan us ultimately. If we took anyone else, they would essentially be squad fillers and we have enough of that. 

From the noises coming out of the club, the two players identified were 100% joining us as soon as pre-season ended. 

Burnley had no intention of loaning them to us. Perhaps they wanted to tell us who we were getting. 

Getting young players on loan can be very hit and miss so I am not bothered about them coming in, I'd rather we turned McKenzie and Hewitt in to players rather than give game time to some Burnley players.  

The club do give the impression that they don’t like to admit when they’ve got something wrong or hear any negative feedback and would rather just double down.

From the quality of the streaming service, to Black and White TV being launched with the intention to start charging money for it from February 2021 only for it to not work and the club making no effort to ask for feedback on issues. 10 months later it’s not improved and appears to be left to limp on with less viewers than the highlights on Youtube ever got. Now we've got Hopkin with his tactics and belief that the ex Morton players would improve us, to Smith desperately waiting for Hopkin to come good rather than admit his first managerial appointment has been a disaster.

On the commercial side given the shirt sponsor is whatever venture Calvin Ayre is up to and the Burnley partnership originated through Hopkin, I imagine the commercial manager must do something else other than arrange photoshoots with dogs or he wouldn't still be here. Suppose only the club know if it was him or Smith's connections that brought in the new trackside boards and the Jewson deal.

On the bright side I see someone finally realised the official website should have a current squad list.

Worth remembering that we’ve actually brought in the 3rd highest number of players over the Summer (10) amongst championship clubs.  Of that number, we’ve basically not seen Afolabi, McCallister and O’Connor, so tough to assess what they have to offer.  Afolabi looks seriously out of condition (embarrassingly so for a young player coming from Celtic), but the other 2 might make a decent contribution.  I guess for me there’s just no sense to the recruitment, which seemed to be a big criticism from Morton fans - what shape of team are we favouring, where are players supposed to be playing etc?

3 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've signed Mikey Miller from yourselves. I believe this is a bit of a coup and he'll definitely add some much-needed legs in the middle of the park, but what do you think?

I imagine he would be decent at that level -  had some good performances for us. Mostly played in central midfielder and nullified Charlie Adam very effectively one day. To be perfectly honest, I’ve only seen him over streams and ours was abysmal so it’s really hard to tell you exactly how his performances were. 

Edited by No_Problemo

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
16 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:
We've signed Mikey Miller from yourselves. I believe this is a bit of a coup and he'll definitely add some much-needed legs in the middle of the park, but what do you think?

News to us but nothing surprises us nowadays

It is of course on the Stenhousemuir Twitter, I’m sure we will be told eventually. 

17 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

This must be due to our abundance of quality centre midfielders.

Miller didn’t get a look in with Hopkin, so not that big a surprise.  Never really claimed a position as his own at Ayr, but good luck to him, always seemed to give his best.  Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Chalmers go as well (given we have so many midfield options).

The Pr side of the club is a disgrace and needs addressed, there are many brilliant people at the club doing there all as volunteers, in the shop and at the ground. Why on earth did they agree to play this game on Tuesday who ever agreed to that hasn’t a clue, and if they were forced due to Raith or the SFA come out and say it, I think Tuesday will be the lowest crowd for a long time and a commercial disaster for the club, couple that with a defeat and the s—- will really hit the fan on Wednesday. All this science recovery time between games is mince hence the Tuesday date.

Tweet seems to have been deleted from Stenny. If he is indeed offski this surely means we’re close to announcing another centre mid as it only leaves Murdoch, Chalmers and Hewitt as midfield options. I suppose Muirhead at a push but I’m hoping we have him at centre half as having him in midfield means playing one of Baird or McGinty. 

31 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Limited is probably the best description of him, we played him in the middle of the park and he was pretty unspectacular. as a right back you would assume he would be suited to the defensive side of the game but he added very little to a collectively bad midfield. Raith fans thought he was average in league one but would be happy to keep him in the championship so he may be a decent signing at that level.