The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

39 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Does he just play hoof ball too? I can’t remember from when he was with you guys. 

just wondering  if he has more tactical nous than hopkin? 

He's certainly a tactical dinosaur but it's hard to say whether he's better than Hopkin or not. With us he was not spectacularly bad (just hit a clear limit on his ability) but his record elsewhere is fairly grim. 

Duffy is in the box seat at the moment though and I'd be amazed if he didn't hang around to try and land the job. 

He's certainly a tactical dinosaur but it's hard to say whether he's better than Hopkin or not. With us he was not spectacularly bad (just hit a clear limit on his ability) but his record elsewhere is fairly grim. 
Duffy is in the box seat at the moment though and I'd be amazed if he didn't hang around to try and land the job. 

I can’t even remember what Duffy was like at Falkirk and Dundee but I remember him being an absolute disaster at Hibs. He seemed to job about for a bit before landing at yourselves and doing quite well although as you say he went as far as he could go.

His stint at Dumbarton wasn’t pretty but Smith literally cannot afford to just hand him the reigns permanently without some sort of caretaker period.

3 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

That picture does not show a clear penalty , the picture shows no more than a 50/50 jersey pull 

Well, it was a penalty

Baird is clearly pulling him back, altered the players path and the ref gave it. It wasn’t a phantom mistake and there was no contact 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

In fairness, it was a massive blunder from the referee. I know you despise Baird but he’s been fine so far this season. 

It wasn’t a penalty, as the highlights clearly showed. A still photo shows absolutely nothing. Baird was horrific last night though. 

44 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If Smith has signed Hopkin and 4 coaches on a 2 year deal with no clauses, I guarantee Lachlan Cameron has given himself a hernia pissing himself laughing. 

That would be different levels of incompetent. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t even remember what Duffy was like at Falkirk and Dundee but I remember him being an absolute disaster at Hibs. He seemed to job about for a bit before landing at yourselves and doing quite well although as you say he went as far as he could go.

His stint at Dumbarton wasn’t pretty but Smith literally cannot afford to just hand him the reigns permanently without some sort of caretaker period.

At Duffys peak, he was average. A safe pair of hands. He’s been below average for a while now though. maybe Morton was the turning point.

he’s the type of person you’d like to have behind a young manager. Moffat with Duffy as a coach/mentor.

his association with Hopkins horrorball  had binned that theory.

At Duffys peak, he was average. A safe pair of hands. He’s been below average for a while now though. maybe Morton was the turning point.
he’s the type of person you’d like to have behind a young manager. Moffat with Duffy as a coach/mentor.
his association with Hopkins horrorball  had binned that theory.

A young manager you say?

IMG_1883.jpg

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Well, it was a penalty

Baird is clearly pulling him back, altered the players path and the ref gave it. It wasn’t a phantom mistake and there was no contact 

Agree to disagree , think majority of people say no penalty , the fact that not one United player appealed for it says it all 

Edited by Finlay21

He was a classy player and from what I've seen of Annan they like to play football. Not exactly been successful but has been there for a few years now. 

I’ve no idea what kind of budget he’s working with at Annan but I’d imagine the height of their ambitions are to stay in that league. He’s been there since 2017 and I think he’s had them in the play offs twice and they’re currently sitting 2nd just now. Every season they’ve done well they’ve lost their best players in the summer. Blair Henderson at Edinburgh, Aidan Smith went to Peterhead and then came back, Chris Johnston was another.

I don’t think he’s the ideal choice right now but if we appointed someone short term until the summer and we stayed up then I’d be all for him coming in from the start of next season.

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

In fairness, it was a massive blunder from the referee. I know you despise Baird but he’s been fine so far this season. 

You cannot have your hands all over a guys shirt in the box and expect to get away with it. We'd have been furious if it was us and it wasn't given.

Edited by Shibuya

12 hours ago, Burning Barns said:

Ayrshire's Shame.

Talking of shame, i'm surprised no one picked up on the "dirty f****n b*****d" shout that rang out from someone in the crowd just after Afolabi got his jotters, can clearly be heard on the Raith TV commentary.

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

Talking of shame, i'm surprised no one picked up on the "dirty f****n b*****d" shout that rang out from someone in the crowd just after Afolabi got his jotters, can clearly be heard on the Raith TV commentary.

I've not even bothered to watch them.

Bringing in someone who at least has some association with the club might not be the worst idea if Hopkin is punted, but we've just had that with Kerr so...

Kerrs appointment wasn’t exactly met with a good reaction.

Appointing someone like Murphy who, like Kerr, has history with the fans but also has the added bonus of having done reasonably well at a lower level might be okay.

John Hughes is obviously another name that would get a lot of the fans back on side but I really wouldn’t be keen on keeping him on past the summer.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Kerrs appointment wasn’t exactly met with a good reaction.

Appointing someone like Murphy who, like Kerr, has history with the fans but also has the added bonus of having done reasonably well at a lower level might be okay.

John Hughes is obviously another name that would get a lot of the fans back on side but I really wouldn’t be keen on keeping him on past the summer.

But he was succeeding McCall which was always going to be a tough act to follow. With Hopkin, not so much. Especially with how Hoppy is regarded atm by most fans.