The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Aye I’m not worried right now. Bullen got it wrong today in terms of the personal on the park. I don’t think McKenzie and Maxwell were poor as such but they are not players that are going to get that final ball right to create a chance on goal. It’s okay playing them against better teams where they’ll have more room on the counter but Morton sat in for the first 15 mins or so and soaked up everything we threw at them before grabbing a goal themselves.

I think the thing that will frustrate the manager the most is how quickly we reverted to Hopkin/Duffy tactics of playing long balls. We know that that’s not been instructed by Bullen going by his comments last week so it’s clearly something that is ingrained in like likes of Houston, McGinty etc that when they start to chase a game they need to bypass the midfield. Gondoh came on and was pretty decent at carrying it forward and I think he’ll be okay but we still need 2-3 more new faces for us to improve.

38 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m not going to be overly negative and in a way I’m hoping this result is a blessing in disguise. Mathie and Bullen have said we need to add 2/3 this window hopefully this result shows we need more than that, McGinty, Houston, Chalmers, McKenzie and arguably Adeloye should not be staring games at this level.

Lee Bullen also got the set up of the team wrong. 

He seemed to think after last week that our defence was fine so I’m hoping this is a wake up call in that respect.

I hope the bit in bold is just some bait though 😆 We’d be humped without him.

The previous 2 weeks we put in much more effort and were much sharper all over the field. Against Raith we actually played some really good stuff and were worth a 3 or 4 goal victory, against Arbroath we rode our luck a little but sheer endeavour, workrate and a will to win saw us over the line, today however was nothing short of horrendous.

Our players just didn't seem "up for it", we stood off Morton and when we did actually have the ball we reverted to punting long high balls up the pitch most of the time.

It's days like today that you can see that Muirhead just isn't a Midfielder and that he's really nowhere near good enough to play there.

Chalmers was slow, ponderous, weak in the tackle and his passing was atrocious, however he was far from alone.

Reading was poor, Maxwell failed to get involved enough and when he did it just didn't come off, Adeloye ploughed a loan furrow most of the time and started to look increasingly scunnered with the service (or lack of) that he was getting and the chance he missed early on was pretty much a sitter so all in all a pretty poor showing from him also. McGinty wasn't great today and had a couple of very shaky moments not to mention his distribution was poor again, McKenzie failed to get involved and was almost non existent, Houston was mediocre and Baird was probably about best of a very bad bunch.

The one positive I'd take from today was "GONDO" as thought he was very good when he came on and probably did more in his 15 mins or so than the rest put together in their 90. O'Connor also did hest best to influence things and wasn't bad either and young Bryden put himself about and was really unlucky to be booked as was Gondoh from that clown Beaton.

The bottom line (which we all already knew) is that we desperately need a Central mIdfielder with a bit of class, otherwise we're going to continue to struggle and just hope that we can pull off the odd result here and there and that's really not good enough..

A special mention to the the half a dozen Greenock cretins who "SPONSORED THE BAW", basically complete and utter tossers who should never have got near the ground but I'm sure there will be more to come on that one.......

Edited by WATTOO

Disappointing one today as it was a real opportunity to build a wee gap. Was quite worried from the off about the set up and found the lack of threat we offered very frustrating as the game wore on. Today's game was screaming out for us to try and take the game to Morton, especially in the 2nd half. We were slow and seemed disjointed.

Hopefully Bullen learns from this one. Also, the positions where we really need to strengthen were clear to see today, so if they didn't know already then they do now. Hopefully we get suitable players in, the playing squad are still very poor overall and it's going to be a long run in. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m not going to be overly negative and in a way I’m hoping this result is a blessing in disguise. Mathie and Bullen have said we need to add 2/3 this window hopefully this result shows we need more than that, McGinty, Houston, Chalmers, McKenzie and arguably Adeloye should not be staring games at this level.

Lee Bullen also got the set up of the team wrong. 

This is hit and miss, if he's going to be isolated like today then aye no point - but I'd say that for any striker we have.  If you get someone near him his very medium quality for this league which is more than enough.  

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The previous 2 weeks we put in much more effort and were much sharper all over the field. Against Raith we actually played some really good stuff and were worth a 3 or 4 goal victory, against Arbroath we rode our luck a little but sheer endeavour, workrate and a will to win saw us over the line, today however was nothing short of horrendous.

Our players just didn't seem "up for it", we stood off Morton and when we did actually have the ball we reverted to punting long high balls up the pitch most of the time.

It's days like today that you can see that Muirhead just isn't a Midfielder and that he's really nowhere near good enough to play there.

Chalmers was slow, ponderous, weak in the tackle and his passing was atrocious, however he was far from alone.

Reading was poor, Maxwell failed to get involved enough and when he did it just didn't come off, Adeloye ploughed a loan furrow most of the time and started to look increasingly scunnered with the service (or lack of) that he was getting and the chance he missed early on was pretty much a sitter so all in all a pretty poor showing from him also. McGinty wasn't great today and had a couple of very shaky moments not to mention his distribution was poor again, McKenzie failed to get involved and was almost non existent, Houston was mediocre and Baird was probably about best of a very bad bunch.

The one positive I'd take from today was "GONDO" as thought he was very good when he came on and probably did more in his 15 mins or so than the rest put together in their 90. O'Connor also did hest best to influence things and wasn't bad either and young Bryden put himself about and was really unlucky to be booked as was Gondoh from that clown Beaton.

The bottom line (which we all already knew) is that we desperately need a Central mIdfielder with a bit of class, otherwise we're going to continue to struggle and just hope that we can pull off the odd result here and there and that's really not good enough..

A special mention to the the half a dozen Greenock cretins who "SPONSORED THE BAW", basically complete and utter tossers who should never have got near the ground but I'm sure there will be more to come on that one.......

Pished, singing Morton songs in a section full of Ayr fans, cheering when Morton scored, shouting at swearing at and winding up all the Ayr fans round about them. Absolute disgrace. 

Edited by TheHonestMan85

4 minutes ago, TheHonestMan85 said:

Pished, singing Morton songs in a section full of Ayr fans, cheering when Morton scored, shouting at swearing at and winding up all the Ayr fans round about them. Absolute disgrace. 

Sounds great, how fitba should be. 

2 minutes ago, TheHonestMan85 said:

Yes, I had a ringside seat as was just in front of them.

Basically just a bunch of drunken neds thinking they could do as they pleased because they had paid "£50 each to sponsor the baw""

Just now, itzdrk said:

Sounds great, how fitba should be. 

That would be fine in "normal times", however they were taking the place of other Ayr season ticket holders and diehard fans who weren't allowed to the game but who had technically already paid.

Not good.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Really have no idea what we're in for rest of the season. Should be a wild ride anyway. Unlike his previous two predecessors I think I've seen enough of what Bullen is about that he can effect some meaningful change instead of just carrying on with a hapless trend like the other two, today not withstanding. If not we're proper fucked.

It'll be inconsistent i'd imagine, when you're down the bottom half of the table no teams ever really go on any form of consistent run

16 minutes ago, TheHonestMan85 said:

Surely there's some form of check taken place for credibility of who is sponsoring the match? 

Bit of an own goal from the club, lesson learned for the new commercial manager i suppose, live and learn and all that

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That would be fine in "normal times", however they were taking the place of other Ayr season ticket holders and diehard fans who weren't allowed to the game but who had technically already paid.

Not good.

I was led to believe that certain "sponsors" are not included as part of the 500 allowed entry. Maybe the club who did this used a little initiative to get more punters and extra cash into their club? 

Hope they weren't being racist this week?

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Surely there's some form of check taken place for credibility of who is sponsoring the match? 

Bit of an own goal from the club, lesson learned for the new commercial manager i suppose, live and learn and all that

You would certainly have at the very least expected some kind of basic check to be carried out. ie Are they Home or Away supporters? If they are Away, place them in a separate area of the ground away from the home support. It's just not on, home fans having to put up with getting sworn at, wound up and watching opposition fans celebrate in amongst them. It made it even worse that it was a restricted crowd.

You hit the nail on the head though by saying hopefully it is a lesson learned.

The Morton guys found a loop hole, fair play to them as they’ve wanted to be at the game enough to pay pretty much double price per head to attend. We’re only greeting about it because we lost. Lessons learned by the club I’m sure and we move on. At least we made some money from it!

18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Not good.

They weren't.  The match and match ball sponsors are additional to the number cause everyone is just making it up. 

2 minutes ago, ecocme said:

The Morton guys found a loop hole, fair play to them as they’ve wanted to be at the game enough to pay pretty much double price per head to attend. We’re only greeting about it because we lost. Lessons learned by the club I’m sure and we move on. At least we made some money from it!

You obviously weren't sitting near them.