The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I just don't think people in Government should be trying to score cheap political points in something which has nothing to do with them.
Government are either there to uphold the legal system or they're not, you can't have it both ways where you pick and choose which convictions you like and which ones you don't. Our legal system is far from perfect but if he wasn't found guilty in a criminal court then technically he's not committed any criminal offence whether we like it or not.
You and I on the other hand can mump and moan all we like but I just don't feel it's "right" for Government officials to get involved in this sort of thing. It's almost sending a message that convicted criminals shouldn't be allowed to work once convicted or that those who are "probably" guilty but get off with it definitely shouldn't work again or at least not be allowed to get a decent job.
Is that the official message from Government ??
I'm pretty sure it isn't, which then gives you a direct conflict of interests.
I'll reiterate that "personally" I think he was guilty as sin and I also wouldn't have been happy had Ayr signed him, also the fact he's shown no remorse and only self interest makes him even worse in my eyes but obviously Raith thought he was worth the risk and will no doubt pay the penalty for that misplaced judgement.....

There aren’t any political points to be won here though. It’s nonsense to suggest that she has some ulterior motive for saying what she did.

As a side point we should’ve binned Stillie. I get he’s part time but he shouldn’t then go and affiliate himself so publicly with a political party. Shouldn’t he just stick to football and keep his mouth shut?

33 minutes ago, Iain said:

The low prosecution and conviction rates for rape are scandals. 

I assume you are aware of how acutely difficult it is to get a legal case strong enough to obtain a successful conviction in a rape case in a Scottish criminal court? 

Edited by BukyOHare

That's Stillie plastered over Sky now... tbf i've not really got much of an issue with him because at the end of the day he's just doing his job. Lawyers have the job of even trying to defend the indefensible like murderers or rapists unfortunately, it's just part and parcel with the job of being a lawyer. Still wouldn't complain if he left mind you

Edited by rb123!

I assume you are actually aware of how acutely difficult it is to get a legal case strong enough to win in a Scottish criminal court? 

This is part of the issue unfortunately. A change needs to be made to ensure that we can lock more of these guys up but I’ve absolutely no idea what that would take.

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I assume you are actually aware of how acutely difficult it is to get a legal case strong enough to win in a Scottish criminal court? 

You are both making the same point from different ends. 

52 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Being honest I'm not entirely comfortable with people like Nicola Sturgeon getting involved in this as whatever anyone may think of Goodwillie he has not been found guilty in a criminal court and legally that's all that really matters.

I totally get that he's more than likely guilty and I also appreciate that he was found guilty in a civil court and indeed in the court of public opinion, however I feel it totally undermines our legal system when high ranking politicians and members of Government get involved in this sort of thing.

Basically it has nothing to do with Sturgeon or anyone else in politics and they'd be best just to keep their mouths shut I believe.

Incidentally, I personally think he's a "wrong un" and I don't think Raith or anyone else should touch him with a barge pole but as I say that's only my opinion for all that it's worth.

It's good to see her taking a firm stance on these matters. This wasn't always the case with her ex boss and finance minister that was eventually forced out

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

You are both making the same point from different ends. 

In part that's possibly true, but it's too easy to point at low conviction rates when the burden of proof in a Scottish court is set pretty high to start off with. 

For a hideous crime that we're discussing that's largely based on one person's word against another. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This is part of the issue unfortunately. A change needs to be made to ensure that we can lock more of these guys up but I’ve absolutely no idea what that would take.

I won't bore you on here but you're starting off with a crime being committed where its largely one person's word against another. 

There are opportunities further down the line to use previous unsuccessful cases against the same offender, if they're of a similar nature but I agree it's far from ideal. 

I know nothing about politics, was just pointing out that Nicola sturgeon had spoken out about it.

At the end of the day, We're Ayr fans. We shouldn't care so much about Raith signing bad peeps. However, still believe he should have gave up the football to remove himself from the public eye, to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Having seen the pictures of the surface at Partick

I have to say Kudos to the owner Dave Smith and the board for putting their money where their months was and spending a lot of money in the summer doing work on the pitch because even now in the dead of winter, the pitch has been really good in recent games with even very few bobbles on it. 

The biggest applause for them though should be at the fact we knocked back the request for Rangers Colts to play their home games at Somerset as that would have meant the pitch would be looking very similar to the Firhill one just now. 

Well done all round

18 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I assume you are aware of how acutely difficult it is to get a legal case strong enough to obtain a successful conviction in a rape case in a Scottish criminal court? 

Indeed 

26 minutes ago, somerset =nou camp said:

Wattoo knows everything you should listen to him even an expert on rape cases

Thanks for that deep and meaningful contribution.......

6 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Having seen the pictures of the surface at Partick

I have to say Kudos to the owner Dave Smith and the board for putting their money where their months was and spending a lot of money in the summer doing work on the pitch because even now in the dead of winter, the pitch has been really good in recent games with even very few bobbles on it

The biggest applause for them though should be at the fact we knocked back the request for Rangers Colts to play their home games at Somerset as that would have meant the pitch would be looking very similar to the Firhill one just now. 

Well done all round

Yes, the pitch has looked very good this season and much improved, it's just a pity that we haven't been able to play much on it 🤣

With us slowly acquiring more options in the squad, wonder if we’ll ever see an old fashioned 4-4-2. Reading & Maxwell swapping in for each other on the left. O’Connor or Gondoh on the right, any 2 of Murdoch, Dempsey & McInroy in the middle. Ashford & Adeloye up top.

Bring Moffat on for one of the front two when legs are getting tired.

I just saw on Twitter that today is the anniversary of Ally MacLeod's death.

His managerial tenures were before my time, but everyone of an Ayr United persuasion knows how much he means to the club.

Ally_macleod_1.thumb.jpg.150b784ef0019103084f16233dcdc963.jpg

I met him at a game back in the 2001/2002 season.

My Papa used to take me to matches, and he was an Ayr United supporter from the 1940s until his death in 2011. He always spoke with great fondness for Ally, and all the players from his teams.

During the game (it was a boring 0-0 draw BTW), my Papa pointed out some old fella in the stadium and said "See that man there? Go up to him and shake his hand". I went over, not realising who the man was and shook his hand. He smiled and chatted with me for a few minutes.

My Papa then walked over and said that the man I was speaking to is Ayr United's greatest manager, Ally Macleod.

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I just saw on Twitter that today is the anniversary of Ally MacLeod's death.

His managerial tenures were before my time, but everyone of an Ayr United persuasion knows how much he means to the club.

Ally_macleod_1.thumb.jpg.150b784ef0019103084f16233dcdc963.jpg

I met him at a game back in the 2001/2002 season.

My Papa used to take me to matches, and he was an Ayr United supporter from the 1940s until his death in 2011. He always spoke with great fondness for Ally, and all the players from his teams.

During the game (it was a boring 0-0 draw BTW), my Papa pointed out some old fella in the stadium and said "See that man there? Go up to him and shake his hand". I went over, not realising who the man was and shook his hand. He smiled and chatted with me for a few minutes.

My Papa then walked over and said that the man I was speaking to is Ayr United's greatest manager, Ally Macleod.

#Legend  nuff said.