The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

28 minutes ago, rb123! said:

They'll be a big gap to what he's on at Livi compared to our highest earners here, plus with the current financial situation with the cost of living etc, taking a pay cut probably isn't going to be as straightforward for a player to justify as probably 18 months ago. 

I believe that gap is considerable , I could see a lower end Premiership team paying him a lot closer to what he is potentially earning to what we could afford to pay and stay within a sound wage structure 

Hopefully Mullin and Chalmers will here next season. Neither has set the premier league but hopefully that changes when we get there 🤞

Jokes aside though, I think Mullin would stay. He was in the paper the other day saying all he wants to do is play. Why go back to get 20 mins here and there at Livi?

32 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I believe that gap is considerable , I could see a lower end Premiership team paying him a lot closer to what he is potentially earning to what we could afford to pay and stay within a sound wage structure 

Hopefully he keeps his options open to the end of the season so if we do happen to go up then we still have a chance of keeping him.

But yes i do fear a lower end Premiership team will be sniffing about...

Get a feeling he'll probably be in the same boat as Dipo, if we get promoted we'll have a chance of keeping him but if we don't, we'll most likely lose him. Chalmers likewise as i'd imagine he'll be on a much higher wage again at a club the size of Dundee United. 

If Mullin wanted slightly more than we wanted to pay him then I’d just give him it. Wage structures are important but he’s a guy that even at his age would be a very important player for us for a good while yet. 

What might work in our favour is that he’s been very complementary of the club and Bullen and seems to genuinely enjoy playing here. Given his age as well he’ll perhaps be prioritising playing time over anything else. 

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Mullin wanted slightly more than we wanted to pay him then I’d just give him it. Wage structures are important but he’s a guy that even at his age would be a very important player for us for a good while yet. 

What might work in our favour is that he’s been very complementary of the club and Bullen and seems to genuinely enjoy playing here. Given his age as well he’ll perhaps be prioritising playing time over anything else. 

Mullin was completely out the picture at Livi and had a nightmare on loan to Hamilton so I really think he'd not be too hard to deal with. Despite his excellent form with us, I'd be very surprised if there's many Premier league sides knocking down his door with an offer he can't refuse.

As you say, he's at a stage now where playing is important along with some financial stability, so I' d definitely be offering him at least a 2 year deal on good money and see what he thinks.

It just might be the perfect fit for both of us....

Putting an end to the huge turnover of players every year has been one the best things about the Smith era so far, it makes such a difference when you already have the nucleus of your squad put together and all familiar with one another and keeping them together for at least 2 or 3 years. There was nothing worse than losing virtually your entire team every 6 months to a year and having to start from scratch again knowing that the same thing was going to happen again the following season.

I don't know the exact details of Arbroath but it seems like they lost all or most of their key Loan performers and some of their other guys had age against them, that's what's the opposite situation with us where hopefully this season won't just be a flash in the pan but merely a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Personally I'd be dragging Dipo in and offering him as much as we can immediately to further extend his contract and at the same time pulling out all the stops to get Josh Mullin tied up on a permanent deal.

We have these guys and we know they do the business, so better to secure them for a premium as risk 3 or 4 or David Bangala's which ultimately ends up costing much more both on and off the park !!

Mullin has a young family and so a bit of stability might be a higher prio for him now, after a poor loan to Hamilton last season and basically being future-endeavoured by Martindale. On the other hand he might be looking for as good a pay day as possible at this stage of his career for the same reason. 

Personally I'd like him to be around the club as a good senior pro for the next few years as well as for the playing side, and to that I hope Bartley at QotS isn't sniffing around.

20 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Mullin has a young family and so a bit of stability might be a higher prio for him now, after a poor loan to Hamilton last season and basically being future-endeavoured by Martindale. On the other hand he might be looking for as good a pay day as possible at this stage of his career for the same reason. 

Personally I'd like him to be around the club as a good senior pro for the next few years as well as for the playing side, and to that I hope Bartley at QotS isn't sniffing around.

Currently 8th in league one, don't think there's much danger of them coming up this year

Happy New Year GIF by HBO

InterestiInteresting article about Bryden I think in the Daily Ranger web page, Bully praising his attitude and recovery from injury, interesting he says he has faced competition or words to that affect from Dipo, McKenzie and Ashford but doesn't mention Young.....I'm possibly looking too much into that, Robbo?

9 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

InterestiInteresting article about Bryden I think in the Daily Ranger web page, Bully praising his attitude and recovery from injury, interesting he says he has faced competition or words to that affect from Dipo, McKenzie and Ashford but doesn't mention Young.....I'm possibly looking too much into that, Robbo?

Saw that, plus Bryden is the player in the Press Conference.  That's usually a sign that a player will be starting the next game 🤣

10 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Isn't he away back too villa 🤔

23 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Thought the same when I read it but watching this week's press conference the article seems to be based entirely on that. Particular comment was more of a quip from Bullen so hard to tell if there is more to it or not.

24 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The two before that were Houston and Young though...

Ah, I'd missed the Houston one.  Young's was the one before he came back into starting XI v Dundee though.  There's probably no pattern at all, just been a few that have stuck in my mind.