The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

The thing is Duffy actually played good football until he was given the job full time. In actual fact that’s probably what saved us last season 

The improvement during his spell in caretaker charge made me think he would actually be a decent appointment. Maybe if we had kept him in temporary charge for the full season instead of giving him the job full-time, we would be in the Premiership now.

11 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

As an outsider looking in, albeit from just up the hill, you seem to be getting everything right off the park and definitely heading in the right direction, but, by Christ you need a new manager.

Bullen appears incapable of doing anything to change games when they aren't going our way. He has no tactical nous whatsoever.

A slightly more tactically astute manager would get more out of this current team IMO. 

2 hours ago, ComradeDiego said:

Having had time to reflect on it, there was spells last night where we tried to move the ball about and played alright.

They may have tried to move the ball around, but when they can't complete simple passes they're not going to get far. Can't cross well either.

I can't remember a single time in the game when Arbroath looked like they were in trouble or trying to regroup. Everything was in front of them and they weren't having to work all that hard to get the ball back.

Honestly can’t think of any point last night where we moved the ball around well.  Bullen was spot on when he described the performance as mediocre.  Maguire offered nothing as did the 2 wide men.  Murdoch was strangely out of sorts and Musonda and McGinty looked really uncertain despite only having one striker to play against.  

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

The improvement during his spell in caretaker charge made me think he would actually be a decent appointment. Maybe if we had kept him in temporary charge for the full season instead of giving him the job full-time, we would be in the Premiership now.

Davie White has the best win  % of any manager in Ayr's history. Maybe he  could have been kept on temporarily since Roberts left.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

A slightly more tactically astute manager would get more out of this current team IMO

Or a manager who has an assistant to help him with tactical decisions. Think that's what Ayr really need imo. 

4 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Or a manager who has an assistant to help him with tactical decisions. Think that's what Ayr really need imo. 

Yeah I doubt Bullen will be leaving. I think getting someone in to help him would be a good idea. I am surprised that they have not done that already.

Surely between them the staff know someone who could do that job?

13 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Is it normal for the assistant to decide the formation, selection and tactics and for the manager to gee them up for the game?

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yeah I doubt Bullen will be leaving. I think getting someone in to help him would be a good idea. I am surprised that they have not done that already.

Can we afford an assistant though or is it essential to accompany  a head coach role? We added a few extra heads like md , head of transfer and performance coach or something i think. Many of the managerial duties have been absorbed by the other three leaving Bullen more time to focus on the coaching. 

16 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Can we afford an assistant though or is it essential to accompany  a head coach role? We added a few extra heads like md , head of transfer and performance coach or something i think. Many of the managerial duties have been absorbed by the other three leaving Bullen more time to focus on the coaching. 

I don't know if we can afford it or if it's something they would consider doing, but making tactical decisions is clearly a shortcoming of the current coaching team. 

32 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Is it normal for the assistant to decide the formation, selection and tactics and for the manager to gee them up for the game?

If you believe some on here that's what Sandy Stewart did for Uncle Ian.

38 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

There hasn’t been an Ayr manager in history who has had more support than Bullen.  A chief exec, head of recruitment, performance analyst, first team coaches, fitness coach..   Perhaps the structure is wrong and we’re fragmenting responsibility across too many people?  

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If you believe some on here that's what Sandy Stewart did for Uncle Ian.

I have heard that Sandy Stewart is really good at training so he used to run that for McCall.

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

There hasn’t been an Ayr manager in history who has had more support than Bullen.  A chief exec, head of recruitment, performance analyst, first team coaches, fitness coach..   Perhaps the structure is wrong and we’re fragmenting responsibility across too many people?  

It's a different, more "modern" approach from all previous regimes. There's bound to be "teething problems" with it. A potential problem with this approach is that it dilutes the role of manager to almost exclusively a coaching role.

On 27/03/2023 at 20:05, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

I see that Dundee have reduced their prices to £15 for the home game v Hamilton on Saturday. So that will mean a larger than normal crowd full of impatient Dundonians expecting a pummelling of wee diddies Hamilton.

Twenty minutes in without a goal and that idea could easily backfire. The foundations of a shock result are in place.

leonardo dicaprio gatsby GIF

4 hours ago, Nelson said:

This happens every single time we lose a game or have a poor performance and it's becoming ridiculous.

Ultimately we're always going to lose games and play poorly from time to time as are every team on the planet but there's really no point in trying to put it down to the Manager, coach or lack of coach or any other earth shattering conclusion as it's just football and all perfectly normal.

Morton got stuffed at home today, Queens Park got stuffed again and Chelsea are getting humped right now by Villa and only a few days ago Scotland humbled the mighty Spain, so really anything can happen at any time.

The bottom line is that we're still clear in 3rd place and are there on merit with Bullen as Manager and this same group of players that played last night so I think we should all acknowledge that there's nothing broken and that it has been a really good season for us, if not one of the best in the last 20 years......