The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Yes because they were from the bottom two divisions in the EFL, often referred to as the lower leagues

Ummm... nah??

"English lower leagues" in the context of Scottish football outside the top flight starts with the National League and ends with teams whose supporters sit on hay bales to watch them. The likes of Tranmere Rovers are way out of Ayr's range in terms of resources. Tomi Adeloye going from Ayr to Swindon (finished 10th in League Two last season) was a big step up for him.

52 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

My main gripe with the signings from down south is we're far too reliant as a signing model so much so that we on the whole seem to ignore the Scottish market. It screams of cheap option to be honest, rather than get established Scottish championship players we'd rather hope for a few gems from down south.

Giving the lack of signings I can only assume our budget isn't as big as most hoped giving our 2nd place finish and cup run. 

News coming tomorrow on further signings along with the potential for more before we kick a ball in any competitive game , some of the bang average players kicking about in Scotland are looking for much more than they are worth ,

Bringing guys up from down South isn’t cheap either when you’re having to pay accommodation. Akinyemi wasn’t on buttons from what I’ve heard. There was genuine interest from National League sides and we managed to get him up here. 

Guys like JML and Ashford won’t be cheap either. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest it’s cheaper for us to sign from England than it is to sign players up here. 

25 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

What is an established championship player? If they look good in the championship then their next move will not be Ayr United. If they look bang average then what’s your big obsession over signing them?

Yes, I think some of our fans have delusions of grandeur where our signing prowess is concerned.

We're a mid ranked Championship side at best in terms of support and finances although with Smith at the helm we're trying to better ourselves in terms of infrastructure and our backroom team.

At the moment and without throwing money at it that we don't have, we're ultimately trying to compete with the likes of Morton and Raith in the transfer market and are a good bit away from competing with the Dundee clubs or even the likes of Dunfermline who have a much larger support than ourselves.

I'd say we're making a pretty good fist of it so far given that we aren't going to live outwith our means, unlike certain others I could mention.......

18 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

News coming tomorrow on further signings along with the potential for more before we kick a ball in any competitive game , some of the bang average players kicking about in Scotland are looking for much more than they are worth ,

Players like Liam Smith, Lewis Strapp and Paul McMullan aren't 'bang average' and are far better than what we currently have.  Like I said previously if we're actually saying we can't afford them then we might as well lock up Somerset and be done with it. 

35 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Btw any of the Ayr fans that stand next to me at Hampden on here, Hiya pals. 

We had a great night, we got drenched in the town then got stuck on the #75 for 45 mins, followed by 20 mins at the turnstiles (and another drenching), missed the first goal and got in just as the game got stopped. We then had to leave just after half time in order to get home and of course missed the second goal !!

Other than that it was fine with the highlight for me being singing Dignity during the stoppage !!

It has to be said though, the transport infrastructure in this country is beyond a joke and would actually discourage you from leaving the house.

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Players like Liam Smith, Lewis Strapp and Paul McMullan aren't 'bang average' and are far better than what we currently have.  Like I said previously if we're actually saying we can't afford them then we might as well lock up Somerset and be done with it. 

You’re saying that with zero clue of what their demands are and what our budget is. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re saying that with zero clue of what their demands are and what our budget is. 

Liam Smith supposedly training with Falkirk, are we actually saying we can't match them now.

Its also pretty clear from our signings so far that our budget isn't great 

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I think some of our fans have delusions of grandeur where our signing prowess is concerned.

Delusions of grandeur? Without a hint of irony? From the guy who literally said that Salkeld and Fjortoft were proven Championship players. Let's look at their career trajectory since Ayr - one has left football altogether and the other one just got relegated to League Two. 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Based on what? Again, you’re saying this without a clue on what Stanger and Murphy are on. Being able to spend loads of money isn’t the be all and end all of football. 

It’s very easy for us sitting here to point at players we know like Smith and McMullan and say “sign him” but the likelihood is that we’ll be looking through a shortlist of loads of players and will be weighing up a lot more stuff than whether or not we recognise the name or not. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Ummm... nah??

"English lower leagues" in the context of Scottish football outside the top flight starts with the National League and ends with teams whose supporters sit on hay bales to watch them. The likes of Tranmere Rovers are way out of Ayr's range in terms of resources. Tomi Adeloye going from Ayr to Swindon (finished 10th in League Two last season) was a big step up for him.

Keech. The lower leagues in England are League One and League Two.  The difference in resources, which I'm not arguing with, are irrelevant.

46 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Liam Smith supposedly training with Falkirk, are we actually saying we can't match them now.

And a Falkirk fan who has been at most of their training sessions so far said Smith hasn't been there.

Our budget is probably a little better than you assume - see Jamie Murphy.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

We're a mid ranked Championship side at best in terms of support and finances although with Smith at the helm we're trying to better ourselves in terms of infrastructure and our backroom team.

Pack up the club and put us out of our misery.

f**k me.

I could name half a dozen smaller clubs from smaller towns, with smaller supports that have had more success than Ayr. This too wee, too poor attitude has held us back for years. 

No one has said that we should be spending a fortune, but we could be buying players that are competent at our level, it’s not a big ask