The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

You can just tell that Bullen and the board are going to be bombarded with questions about Dipo when in reality the questions should be about communication, what the clubs aims were with recruitment over the summer and where are they in terms of their “five year plan”. These aren’t criticisms either but the fan base will get too locked on about Akinyemi when it isn’t really an issue compared to the other stuff. 

The season of no fullbacks 2.0. Bets open for the number of times an opponent is able to dance their way to the byline and cut it across.

I actually am looking forward to the season, honest. I always do for a new season. Praying that the glaring issues in the squad are addressed before the start of league action (not very confident they will be, but we'll see). If they're not, then I have the fear. Given the current state of things, if we were to keep Akinyemi, I'd be a lot more confident about our prospects.

That being said, both before and after the league cup last season I was confident of seeing us in a relegation battle, then look what happened.

See you boys and girls in Stirling.

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

They weren't away long enough for me to have any kind of buzz, giving the league cup a miss since BGM treats it like friendlies. 

They have spent the summer not addressing any of the problems in the squad so your 'enthusiasm' is probably justified. 

We still have more players to come in, the league cup starts in a few days so we can't play trialists. So it looks like anyone else coming in will be loan players or players freed at the end of the window. 

This has been the least exciting close season in recent memory. 

Open day was a couple of goal posts in the car park, no players. 
Season ticket renewals have been a secret despite taking £285 off folk
No team news or updates on two friendlies so far
No interview with Bullen since the end of last season

Q&A is only for a select few season ticket holders, They really need to film it and get that out ASAP to a wider audience. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You can just tell that Bullen and the board are going to be bombarded with questions about Dipo when in reality the questions should be about communication, what the clubs aims were with recruitment over the summer and where are they in terms of their “five year plan”. These aren’t criticisms either but the fan base will get too locked on about Akinyemi when it isn’t really an issue compared to the other stuff. 

The 5 year plan makes no sense to me just now, There are very few building blocks in the squad that are the foundation to move forward with. We have gone from having players regularly in the Under 21's to barely having a player you would lose sleep over leaving. It doesn't scream footballing dynasty. 

Off the field aye but they don't promote you because you build a new stand. If the five year plan is to be in a position to start building a squad in 5 years time to challenge for promotion, that would make more sense currently. 

I took this in as a local neutral tonight and thought it was a decent enough contest.  It’s hard to tell with pre-season games because you don’t know how strenuously sides go into them but I’d say it was a pretty even first half and then as the second half wore on, Ayr’s fitness and superiority showed.

Ayr’s first goal was well-worked and if I’m honest I thought the floodgates might open after that but it never materialised like that.  EK came into it as the half progressed and Nathan Flanagan was a good outlet.

It never really happened for Akinyemi tonight for one reason or another, but I thought Fraser Bryden looked lively and linked play up well when he came on.  Jamie Murphy took his goal well after a decent move from Ayr.

East Kilbride had two or three good chances in the first 15 minutes or so of the second half and Ayr have their substitute goalkeeper to thank for their clean sheet in the end.

It’s difficult to analyse having only seen Ayr two or three times on the TV last season and then tonight in person, but as an Ayr fan I’d maybe be a bit concerned at how often EK managed to get the ball across goal in the game with Paddy Reading in particular not having the most comfortable evening. EK didn’t capitalise on those several flashed-across balls but a more clinical side could have/will.

Micky Hewitt did well when he came on I feel and was a good outlet for Ayr down the right.  All in all a decent workout for both sides I’m sure, all the best for the season guys.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Randall said:

I took this in as a local neutral tonight and thought it was a decent enough contest.  It’s hard to tell with pre-season games because you don’t know how strenuously sides go into them but I’d say it was a pretty even first half and then as the second half wore on, Ayr’s fitness and superiority showed.

Ayr’s first goal was well-worked and if I’m honest I thought the floodgates might open after that but it never materialised like that.  EK came into it as the half progressed and Nathan Flanagan was a good outlet.

It never really happened for Akinyemi tonight for one reason or another, but I thought Fraser Bryden looked lively and linked play up well when he came on.  Jamie Murphy took his goal well after a decent move from Ayr.

East Kilbride had two or three good chances in the first 15 minutes or so of the second half and Ayr have their substitute goalkeeper to thank for their clean sheet in the end.

It’s difficult to analyse having only seen Ayr two or three times on the TV last season and then tonight in person, but as an Ayr fan I’d maybe be a bit concerned at how often EK managed to get the ball across goal in the game with Paddy Reading in particular not having the most comfortable evening. EK didn’t capitalise on those several flashed-across balls but a more clinical side could have/will.

Micky Hewitt did well when he came on I feel and was a good outlet for Ayr down the right.  All in all a decent workout for both sides I’m sure, all the best for the season guys.

Don't think Akinyemi was playing tonight, was he?

Not surprising to hear Reading wasn't good. 

Edited by AuAl

39 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

We had a game tonight?...

https://i.imgflip.com/37c356.png

If there's another vision quest night at the hub any time soon, someone please ask what's going on with the media department. Couldn't stand another season of that shite.

The club brought the media in house, seemingly without actually having people in the house to run it.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Randall said:

I’d maybe be a bit concerned at how often EK managed to get the ball across goal in the game with Paddy Reading in particular not having the most comfortable evening. 

That's our star player, wee Paddy.  Wouldn't be like him to have a bad game. 

I know things can change very quickly and there’s every chance that we go and make four signings that really turn us into a good outfit but I feel as though things are slightly shaping up for a Bullen departing in late October scenario. I said at the vision night that it felt as though the club was really being spearheaded by Mathie, Bullen and Smith. Three guys who were focused on different areas of the club and were pulling Ayr forward. Fast forward to this summer and we hadn’t heard from Bullen for about a month and even Mathie was only being heard in one interview where nothing was really mentioned about this season and a couple of snippets in the AP. I get the sense that all the focus this season is to be on the new stand and I understand it’s a massive thing for the club but they cannot allow the actual playing side to take a back seat. 

I said a few weeks ago that I’d judge the clubs transfer activity by the Stirling game. We were around 6-7 players short and in that time we’ve signed Murphy, Amartey and Pendlebury. Murphy has replaced Mullin and going by his pre season form he could turn out to be a decent signing. Pendlebury looked okay against Stranraer and I’m not really sure what Amartey is. Maybe a late replacement for Brad Young or maybe he’s coming in so we can move Ashford on? We’re still a right back and winger short of being anywhere near ready for competitive games. Now it may be that the club are writing these games off as an extension of pre season in which case I admire Smiths willingness to disregard the financial benefits that can come with qualifying for the next round. If that is the case then you simply have to expect by the time the Morton game comes around that we have a right back, winger and potentially another midfield option as we seem to have a lot of similar players in there. The Akinyemi situation will take care of itself but the club will be hammered if they let him go late on and then have to scramble about looking for a replacement. 

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

That's our star player, wee Paddy.  Wouldn't be like him to have a bad game. 

Whether or not he’s shite or decent it is so plainly clear to see how utterly devoid of confidence and belief he is. He was shitting himself against Stranraer after one bad pass out the pitch and from that moment on he couldn’t get anything right. Tried a few crosses but both were easy for the goalie. 

It’s horrible to see and he needs a move to somewhere else with a bit of a clean slate. 

Murphy seems to be the only new signing to get excited about thus far. Noticed EK have quite a few of the Darvel mob there now, including ex Ayr Avci. The lad needs to pack the game in, been a sub at every club hes ever been at 😂

Edited by Thereisalight..

This looked like Falkirk 2018-19 a few weeks ago but with it looking like seemingly none of this summer's batch of tier 8 diamonds-in-the-rough have panned out I'd put money on it now. Could be sitting on zero points going into September depending on whether teams cotton onto the strategy of "double mark Murphy" more quickly than they did "double mark Akinyemi".

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I know things can change very quickly and there’s every chance that we go and make four signings that really turn us into a good outfit but I feel as though things are slightly shaping up for a Bullen departing in late October scenario. I said at the vision night that it felt as though the club was really being spearheaded by Mathie, Bullen and Smith. Three guys who were focused on different areas of the club and were pulling Ayr forward. Fast forward to this summer and we hadn’t heard from Bullen for about a month and even Mathie was only being heard in one interview where nothing was really mentioned about this season and a couple of snippets in the AP. I get the sense that all the focus this season is to be on the new stand and I understand it’s a massive thing for the club but they cannot allow the actual playing side to take a back seat.

I said this not long after the Partick game and i got slated for it but i honestly think Bullen will only last a few months at least and the way our squad looks currently it's looking like bottom half of league at best and worst case relegation battle. 

Have to say i've got very little optimism/excitement for the upcoming season for multiple reasons.

• No North Terrace at home games
  • Squad that looks set to potentially be weaker than last season
  • Another season of a style of play which is very grim to watch
  • Almost zero pre-season update/comms from the club on much apart from new development

Trying to not be negative but there doesn't seem to be much optimism just now

Aye, we’re definitely not the finished article and that was plain to see tonight. 

Stanger looked alright and seemed pretty solid playing alongside McGinty.

Pendlebury didn’t really do much aside from a couple of digs from outside the box which delfected off defenders.

Murphy looks decent and he seems like a good addition at this level 

Amartey was a strange one, made zero impact in the game overall and his only contribution was playing in Murphy for the second goal. 

Edited by ComradeDiego

Like every season, I am completely openminded about how it will go and how people perform. 

Last season, we looked fucking awful and short in many areas heading it to the first league game, In fact, up until half time in the first league game. Dipo couldn't score in a barrel of proverbial fanny's. It took until October for the inadequacies of the squad to hit. 

This season is much the same, shifted a lot of shite, replaced it with no-marks (Murphy aside) and are heading to the competitive games short in many areas. Again, we will be more surprised if we are good than we will be if we are shite,