The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Even though we've made a massive amount of signings (doesn't feel as many as 12) this summer still for me feels like it has been an underwhelming window for some reason, probably cause we don't seem to have addressed some of our glaringly obvious problems from last year...

7 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Even though we've made a massive amount of signings (doesn't feel as many as 12) this summer still for me feels like it has been an underwhelming window for some reason, probably cause we don't seem to have addressed some of our glaringly obvious problems from last year...

That's exactly it for me.  It's not as if the signings have been all bad - from the squad that played Partick we've replaced O Connor, JML and Ashford (edit - obv forgot Mullin) with Chalmers, Murphy and McGeady.  That's an incredible upgrade.   Sadly one is already injured.  And we still have the same full backs 

Edited by Hursty

Just now, railwayend said:

Danny Harvie came in at 19 , played right away  and never looked back .

We are talking about how prolific Josh McPake is rather than his age. 

Shankland scored at this level and higher before losing his way in the game. McPake has performed well enough but not scored goals

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

We are talking about how prolific Josh McPake is rather than his age. 

Shankland scored at this level and higher before losing his way in the game. McPake has performed well enough but not scored goals

Agh I see .  Don’t think LS  scored for Aberdeen but he did get plenty for St Mirren and the Pars .

imagine we had LS and Dipo still with us . Be still my beating heart . 

13 minutes ago, railwayend said:

To be fair, Harvie was mainly terrible for his first period. He really needed a season with us to really kick on and become a brilliant left back.

7 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

To be fair, Harvie was mainly terrible for his first period. He really needed a season with us to really kick on and become a brilliant left back

I wouldn’t say terrible but he had his critics who refused to give a 19 boy a bit of slack . Danny ended up the best left back in the Championship .

Overall it's been a pretty disappointing and under whelming Summer transfer window with 11 additions and 15 outgoings (Not counted Pendlbury as either) but are we any better than last season? The jury is still out but the signs don't look promising. That's not to say we haven't signed some good players, Stanger has stood out, Murphy looked decent prior to his injury and Amartey has shown glimpses of promise. Getting Chalmers back is also massive, he can be a real game changer however the rest either haven't played enough or under whelmed. Given the money we got for Dipo I had hoped to see some more established championship players come in. There is also still some glaring weaknesses within the team that haven't been addressed. We haven't signed a LB which Bullen referenced at the Q&A as needing. We've signed a RB but whether he's any better than McAllister is up for debate. Number 9 position is still a worry, Rose hasn't looked great and Bryden/McKenzie aren't good enough to be starters at this level.

We obviously still have a month to try and address these issues but I'm not convinced we will.

Going forward and once Murphy is back I'd be playing a 4-2-3-1 with a back 4 of McAllister/Ahui, Stanger, Musonda and Reading. Two of Smith, Young, Syla and Senga as holding midfielders with Chalmers, McGeady and Murphy behind Amartey. 

37 minutes ago, railwayend said:

He had some very good games and also some ropey ones which you would expect of someone at that age. Had a good team round about him which also helped. A different scenario to what we currently face

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Overall it's been a pretty disappointing and under whelming Summer transfer window with 11 additions and 15 outgoings (Not counted Pendlbury as either) but are we any better than last season? The jury is still out but the signs don't look promising. That's not to say we haven't signed some good players, Stanger has stood out, Murphy looked decent prior to his injury and Amartey has shown glimpses of promise. Getting Chalmers back is also massive, he can be a real game changer however the rest either haven't played enough or under whelmed. Given the money we got for Dipo I had hoped to see some more established championship players come in. There is also still some glaring weaknesses within the team that haven't been addressed. We haven't signed a LB which Bullen referenced at the Q&A as needing. We've signed a RB but whether he's any better than McAllister is up for debate. Number 9 position is still a worry, Rose hasn't looked great and Bryden/McKenzie aren't good enough to be starters at this level.

We obviously still have a month to try and address these issues but I'm not convinced we will.

Going forward and once Murphy is back I'd be playing a 4-2-3-1 with a back 4 of McAllister/Ahui, Stanger, Musonda and Reading. Two of Smith, Young, Syla and Senga as holding midfielders with Chalmers, McGeady and Murphy behind Amartey. 

Do you reckon Bullen would go with Amartey as the lone striker or in reality go with Rose or even Bryden?

21 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Going forward and once Murphy is back I'd be playing a 4-2-3-1 with a back 4 of McAllister/Ahui, Stanger, Musonda and Reading. Two of Smith, Young, Syla and Senga as holding midfielders with Chalmers, McGeady and Murphy behind Amartey

I think this is almost bang on in terms of formation . I see Amartey as cover for McGeady and Murphy who will have plenty of rest days I guess . Atm Rose would be  the loan striker which is the issue . Syla and Senga would be our DCM’s I guess . 

54 minutes ago, railwayend said:

I wouldn’t say terrible but he had his critics who refused to give a 19 boy a bit of slack . Danny ended up the best left back in the Championship .

Yeah - Harvie was largely good when he first came to us too IMO. He just became a target for the boo boys after some red cards, and then became excellent over time.