The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

41 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Okay serious post a simple yes or no . Do you think bullen can turn it around? 

If he was given good signings in three key areas, quite possibly. 

That isn’t happening, so no. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Carried last year by a good spell of signings, which is indicative of why absolutely everything was placed on first getting Mullin back and then Chalmers. Even then the team was carried by Akinyemi for all but the briefest periods. Doesn't really consider anything more than individual effort. The players know it as well and even his stalwarts have stopped listening to him. When not if.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Think the real burning question we all want the answer to is what WATTOO thinks of what has transpired this week? 

"Amazing chants of Boo-Len at the end there"

Edited by Thumper

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Carried last year by a good spell of signings, which is indicative of why absolutely everything was placed on first getting Mullin back and then Chalmers. Even then the team was carried by Akinyemi for all but the briefest periods. Doesn't really consider anything more than individual effort. The players know it as well and even his stalwarts have stopped listening to him. When not if.

"Amazing chants of Boo-Len at the end there"

Yeah - even Chalmers and Mullin on the form they were in at the start of last year would be poor in this team. That won’t change without a centre forward who can drag us up the park Dipo style, or better players in central midfield and defence. 

The more I think about it, the more amazed I am by the recruitment. Ahui for example was supposed to be our saviour at right back and instead he looks like he is having his legs controlled by someone in the dugout with a Nintendo Wii remote.

We've signed a lot of players but outside of Murphy, we don't appear to have anyone that is capable of creating. We seemed to decide on a particular style of play and then signed a striker on a 2 year deal who isn't capable of playing in that system at all.

It's September 2023 and our starting fullbacks are still Nick McCallister and Paddy Reading. In fact, I'm actually praying we go with them instead of our other options in those positions.

I don't want to write off any of our new midfield options, they're all young and look tidy on the ball but I don't think any of them really filled what we needed. They'll do fine but it's so clear we need something else. 

After what was a very decent end to the season in a purely financial sense, I'm quite concerned how much money we've seemingly spaffed up the wall here.

3 minutes ago, AuAl said:

The more I think about it, the more amazed I am by the recruitment. Ahui for example was supposed to be our saviour at right back and instead he looks like he is having his legs controlled by someone in the dugout with a Nintendo Wii remote.

We've signed a lot of players but outside of Murphy, we don't appear to have anyone that is capable of creating. We seemed to decide on a particular style of play and then signed a striker on a 2 year deal who isn't capable of playing in that system at all.

It's September 2023 and our starting fullbacks are still Nick McCallister and Paddy Reading. In fact, I'm actually praying we go with them instead of our other options in those positions.

I don't want to write off any of our new midfield options, they're all young and look tidy on the ball but I don't think any of them really filled what we needed. They'll do fine but it's so clear we need something else. 

After what was a very decent end to the season in a purely financial sense, I'm quite concerned how much money we've seemingly spaffed up the wall here.

I think we have plenty of players capable of creating tbf, we just have no one capable of getting them on the ball within sixty yards of goal. No striker to hold it in, midfielders to control the game and get us higher up or even adequate full backs to link with - without any of the three they are pretty fucked. 

Murphy is probably the best of the four, but I still think that he is going to struggle in this team when he returns. 

The rest is obviously spot on, calamitous.

I would be going back to a 4-2-3-1, with Murphy in the ten role, and hoping he can drop in to support the young guys and link things up for us. Amartey up top, as he has some actual physicality, particularly compared to Rose and at the very least his pace stops teams squeezing the game too much. 

Looking at the players available, Steven Fletcher is the standout. Proven goal scorer, experience that could help Bryden. 

Downside, he's not kicked a ball since May, he's old and unlikely to want to travel to Ayr every day for training. He complained about a 2 hour commute to Dundee as a factor for him quitting United. Unless he can train with someone down south and travel up a couple of days a week, but would it be worth it for both parties?

Other than that, we are looking at an under 21 player on loan to help solve the issue of scoring goals.