The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Roberts era was probably the most toxic although that eventually died down when folk just stopped going. 

The one time I didn’t get a season ticket but for some reason I went to nearly every home game anyway. I just kept thinking that the previous home game performance had never happened and that somehow I’d enjoy the next one. Felt a bit like that on Tuesday as at 70 minutes I knew I’d had enough but just couldn’t make myself leave. 😂

Even at the very end the atmosphere was flat rather than toxic under Reid. And Roberts was playing in front of home crowds of 500.

Can't really recall a time at any club where a manager who has been in the job for more than 18 months is getting solidly booed and somehow turns it around.

9 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Ex ayr player paul shepherd has been arrested part of a drug smuggling operation. I don't know how to post the link .

Was arrested months ago. Got given nine years today. https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/world-crime/ex-leeds-united-player-full-of-regret-as-he-is-jailed-for-drug-trafficking/a442161041.html

McCall survived a few calls for him to be sacked. During and then at the end of the relegation reason then after a mixed start to the year we won it. It was never as bad as it is right now though and whilst I hope he does, I can’t see him turning it around. 

32 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall survived a few calls for him to be sacked. During and then at the end of the relegation reason then after a mixed start to the year we won it. It was never as bad as it is right now though and whilst I hope he does, I can’t see him turning it around. 

Yeah, I would say this squad so far is on par with the 16/17 squad that's was relegated especially going forward. However, when we were relegated, we did hit a purple patch during September/October, unfortunately I can't even see Bullen getting that.

5 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Yeah, I would say this squad so far is on par with the 16/17 squad that's was relegated especially going forward. However, when we were relegated, we did hit a purple patch during September/October, unfortunately I can't even see Bullen getting that.

Yeah, we can only dream of the full backs and central midfielders that side had. Our current side has far more quality out wide/in behind the striker but that’s about it!

I've just asked if there's a discontent between coaching team and recruitment team as Bullen doesn't seem to have got what he openly said at the Q&A what he was looking for.

Are there any plans to improve matchday experience in the short term as there's often lengthy queues at Cameron's Bar

Is there any possibility of the north Terracing being reopened before end of season if the construction of the stand is complete and it's just external works taking place. Although I'm expecting the answer to this would being no due to requirement of safety certificate from council etc

6 hours ago, WalkerMcCollsAvenue said:

For me, it's less about whether Bullen can turn this around than can these players do it.

The signings should/could have been the perfect balance of an offensive force for this season. The maturity and undoubted skill, nous and awareness of McGeady and Murphy, the unpredictable, bums-off-seats trickery of Chalmers, the raw speed and youthful fearlessness of Amartey and a young hungry guy with an eye for a goal of Rose. We needed it to click and meld, coupled with a key midfield missing link to supplement Dempsey and Murdoch.....but on paper, it should have been a shrewd set of acquisitions.

But all was thrown into the air with Murphy's (not unexpected) injury, McGeady's bafflingly poor form and of course, the two long-term injuries. We assembled a bunch of inexperienced firefighters and the question is, can anyone, Bullen or otherwise, make a cohesive unit out of this lot?

For me, the jury is out. Saw flashes of grit and potential in Syla (and piss poor decision-making for his yellows), plenty to get excited about with Young and thought that as the game went on, Ahui seemed to unshackle his Bambiesque nervousness to make me think that in 3 years, he'd easily make the Whitletts Victoria first team.

But a massive amount now rests on whether Murphy can continue his scoring streak from the cup games but more importantly, can McGeady shake off his rustiness and actually be the player he's still capable of.

The toxicity around Somerset is worse than I can ever remember so it just makes a very tough task that much harder though.

Guessing you must be a new supporter or you didn't realise what toxicity was until the word became fashionable a few years back. Some will remember when the fans would tell the manager or chairman to GTF at every home game until the situation changed. There was even the odd gathering in the car park to make sure their opinions were heard. These days a few bad words on the  terracing can make their way on here to receive condemnation  

Have submitted my questions for the Q&A with Mathie. Asked what they think the benefits are of having this recruitment structure and policy in place, about a time frame for getting promoted, and whether they believe Bullen can turn it round.

Unfortunately I reckon that 2 of those 3 questions will be answered with "yes" and "but we signed Dipo". 

2 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Also talking of toxicity I've just remembered it's 2 years to the day since we all bullied hopkin into walking at the Raith game. That was some laugh :lol:.

I wasn’t in the SRE that night but you could hear it very clearly from the stand. It felt like most of the players that night had packed it in as well and wanted him gone. 

7 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Also talking of toxicity I've just remembered it's 2 years to the day since we all bullied hopkin into walking at the Raith game. That was some laugh :lol:.

That was my 21st...never had I had a better time (and after present) than shouting Hopkin Hopkin GTF, that night 😂😂

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, we can only dream of the full backs and central midfielders that side had. Our current side has far more quality out wide/in behind the striker but that’s about it!

We were part time that season as well tbf. We've never survived at this level whilst being part time (this century). Yet this team feels worse. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

We were part time that season as well tbf. We've never survived at this level whilst being part time (this century). Yet this team feels worse. 🤷‍♂️

I would say this team is better all over the park apart from central midfield and full backs. 

If this current team had Nicky Devlin, Ross Docherty and Robbie Crawford we’d be absolutely fine. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

God - I actually completely forgot we were part time then!

It is hard to fully remember, but that side were just absolutely toothless up front and the only attacking threat came from Nicky Devlin… I actually still remember Devlin being slaughtered for being “out of position” as he tried to provide the attacking threat for the entire team. 

Harkins was also shite, or we made him look shite given he went on to do well elsewhere!