The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I forgot to check into this thread to see how the Micheal Moffat testimonial went? Always thought he should have played at a far higher level than he did. 
He was brilliant for us, and made Faissal El Bakhtaoui the player he was. Tells a story that Faissal went on to do the square route of feck all without Moff feeding him. 
Anyhoo, I hope it was a sell out game? 

When i hear words like toxicity used alongside false equivalence a red flag appears for some grifting and taking attention away from other issues. Not sure you would visit Jewsons and start singing a song when one of them did a good job. If you started swearing and screaming at a colleague in the middle of a job you'd be on your bike. Couldn't see any way back if you started wrestling with a team mate during a training session either. Totally different different environment on the pitch and with the concentration levels required much of the bile from the terraces will get lost. 

If anything the players screaming at one another when things don't go right is more likely to land 

45 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I forgot to check into this thread to see how the Micheal Moffat testimonial went? Always thought he should have played at a far higher level than he did. 
He was brilliant for us, and made Faissal El Bakhtaoui the player he was. Tells a story that Faissal went on to do the square route of feck all without Moff feeding him. 
Anyhoo, I hope it was a sell out game? 

His testimonial match isn't until the 24th mate.

He could and should have played at a higher level, but he was playing Junior level until he was 26. He was one of the most inspired signings we have ever made though, and is my favourite ever Ayr United player. A bonafide club legend.

I wish he was still playing for us tbh. He'd still be our best forward.

15 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

His testimonial match isn't until the 24th mate.

He could and should have played at a higher level, but he was playing Junior level until he was 26. He was one of the most inspired signings we have ever made though, and is my favourite ever Ayr United player. A bonafide club legend.

I wish he was still playing for us tbh. He'd still be our best forward.

Jings, I’ll need to check yer web site for tickets, my mate and me loved him and would go to that. 
I agree he was fantastic, and like Joe Cardle could still have a fair bit to offer. 

Not sure why they think the website is wonderful when we don't even have match reports that clubs in L2 manage to produce. Some might say that the AP has them but their main job isn't to promote the club.

Generally fans have no real incentive to visit the official site which should be a slight concern as not everyone is on social media. Another thing with regards to increasing season tickets is does the club website have a clear signpost showing where to buy them as I can't see it?

12 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Our fan engagement isn’t remotely the same as that of Raith Rovers and what they have put in place to attract new young fans, it can’t even be compared. I’m not saying there aren’t good things going on, but much more needed to be done to make the most of it. 

The plan in terms of recruitment and encouraging new supporters certainly isn’t clear at the moment - let’s hope it becomes so. 

We’ll see how you are feeling after another loss tomorrow night, and at what point the danger signs start flashing. I don’t know how anyone can watch our performances so far and not concerned tbh!

Don't take this the wrong way but there's more to my life than Ayr United, Yes, I support the club and Yes, I'm also a season ticket holder and tend to go most matches home and away, however it's not the end of the world for me when we're playing badly as I've had over 40 years of it, so pretty much is the "norm" for me.

Maybe it's the internet thing that makes everything seem inflated and like a bubble but as an example, I was away in Poland last week (No, not watching England) and one of my mates said "what's happened to your team ? " my answer was "Aye, we're pish" and that was the end of it, nothing further said or thought about Ayr for the next 5 days and basically that's maybe how more should think of it as it's really not good for the old blood pressure getting furious all the time about trivialities and pretty much irrelevancies in the bigger picture.

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Don't take this the wrong way but there's more to my life than Ayr United, Yes, I support the club and Yes, I'm also a season ticket holder and tend to go most matches home and away, however it's not the end of the world for me when we're playing badly as I've had over 40 years of it, so pretty much is the "norm" for me.

Maybe it's the internet thing that makes everything seem inflated and like a bubble but as an example, I was away in Poland last week (No, not watching England) and one of my mates said "what's happened to your team ? " my answer was "Aye, we're pish" and that was the end of it, nothing further said or thought about Ayr for the next 5 days and basically that's maybe how more should think of it as it's really not good for the old blood pressure getting furious all the time about trivialities and pretty much irrelevancies in the bigger picture.

I stopped letting Ayr United ruin my day/weekend/week years ago.

35 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don’t take that the wrong way at all, in fact I think it’s absolutely necessary. 

We have been so bad this season, I’ve stopped caring before the end of the game - albeit it might not seem like it when talking about it on here 😂 

I think the last time a football game affected me after the full time whistle was that Alloa game! 

On the chat about players being abused, the closure of the North Terrace is highlighting this more for me - it’s positive as f**k over there in comparison to elsewhere. The enclosure behind the dugout has been okay, but with the torrential rain forecast tonight it’ll need to be the stand, which is full of raging dickheads, or the SRE with a shite view so think it’ll be BBC for me. 

37 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think the last time a football game affected me after the full time whistle was that Alloa game! 

I drove all the way home from Falkirk last season without any of us speaking a word, apart from when someone cut me off on the M8 and I lost it.

Other than that I’ve never let a game ruin my day. It’s pointless and a bit strange to let an average league game bother you.

You know its bad when they are shielding Bullen from the in house press conference.

Another point on managing expectations, I had to laugh at the match day email which reads:

The bar will be open after full time to hopefully celebrate a positive result.

^A positive result? Why not say win? Are we not trying to win the game? Or is this some oblique reference to the activities in the bar after our last home fixture against this lot? 🤔 

Edited by Trogdor

36 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I drove all the way home from Falkirk last season without any of us speaking a word, apart from when someone cut me off on the M8 and I lost it.

Other than that I’ve never let a game ruin my day. It’s pointless and a bit strange to let an average league game bother you.

I actually forgot about that one!

I was fucked off after that one too tbf, but was fine by the next day - the Alloa one was just gutting!

25 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You know its bad when they are shielding Bullen from the in house press conference.

Another point on managing expectations, I had to laugh at the match day email which reads:

^A positive result? Why not say win? Are we not trying to win the game? Or is this some oblique reference to the activities in the bar after our last home fixture against this lot? 🤔 

I’ll settle for us actually scoring a goal. 

4 hours ago, AyrExile said:

When i hear words like toxicity used alongside false equivalence a red flag appears for some grifting and taking attention away from other issues. Not sure you would visit Jewsons and start singing a song when one of them did a good job. If you started swearing and screaming at a colleague in the middle of a job you'd be on your bike. Couldn't see any way back if you started wrestling with a team mate during a training session either. Totally different different environment on the pitch and with the concentration levels required much of the bile from the terraces will get lost. 

If anything the players screaming at one another when things don't go right is more likely to land 

I went on to watch his comment and I thought it was silly. As you say, it's not as simple a comparison as he makes out. I do agree with him that a lot of the abuse shouted at players and managers is ridiculous. And even if you only cared about the team winning, it's rarely going to be something that will make players play better.

However it's just stupid to deny that the whole environment around football is different than any other. He's right that people in Jewson's don't get shouted at by customers, but they also don't get cheered and supported by customers, or treated like a hero when they play well or score a few goals. The emotions that cause fans to go too far at times are the same emotions that will give players the best moments of their careers when they score a late winner or win promotion and are mobbed by fans and get a huge adrenaline rush.

And as you say, most of the players (and probably manager) who get abuse from fans will be shouting at their own team mates in a way that would get them sacked in any other workplace. If Mathie thinks fans should be held to the same standards as other customers then fine, but he should be holding his employees to the same standards as other companies would, which means he'd probably have to sack half the team (like every club would) for abusive behaviour towards colleagues after every game.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

5 hours ago, Thumper said:

By and large the "abuse" fans shout (at least at their own players) falls under the category of "frustrated constructive criticism" as opposed to simply screaming that they're shite at them. This admittedly doesn't apply to managers.

To categorise any of the abuse shouted as 'constructive criticism' is disingenuous at the very least. It's all variations of sreaming "you're shite" and trying to insinuate that it's in any way acceptable or could have any mitigating factors only highlights the neanderthal mentality that's still deemed to be just a 'part-of-fitba'. Screaming abuse at anyone doing their job (usually to the best of their ability) can only have negative outcomes. We've all seen players freeze or try too hard as a consequence of being singled out. And yet, the attitude of "I've paid my money, I can say what I want" (which was spat back at me earlier this season from an abuser in the stand when I questioned it) seems to still be the default setting. Hence why I'll be at fewer games this season as it's almost impossible to escape the vitriolic screamers anywhere in the ground now.

41 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I went on to watch his comment and I thought it was silly. As you say, it's not as simple a comparison as he makes out. I do agree with him that a lot of the abuse shouted at players and managers is ridiculous. And even if you only cared about the team winning, it's rarely going to be something that will make players play better.

However it's just stupid to deny that the whole environment around football is different than any other. He's right that people in Jewson's don't get shouted at by customers, but they also don't get cheered and supported by customers, or treated like a hero when they play well or score a few goals. The emotions that cause fans to go too far at times are the same emotions that will give players the best moments of their careers when they score a late winner or win promotion and are mobbed by fans and get a huge adrenaline rush.

And as you say, most of the players (and probably manager) who get abuse from fans will be shouting at their own team mates in a way that would get them sacked in any other workplace. If Mathie thinks fans should be held to the same standards as other customers then fine, but he should be holding his employees to the same standards as other companies would, which means he'd probably have to sack half the team (like every club would) for abusive behaviour towards colleagues after every game.

Well said.