The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

20 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I remember Ayr United playing Manchester United at Somerset Park. A certain youngster who would later become a superstar and make a massive mark on the game was playing that day. That player was Sean McGinty. Also some diddy called Paul Pogba played.

That was some day out, especially with the joint ticket for the horses as well. I think most of that MUFC select side went on to have pretty respectable careers, only one of two of them turned out to be utter jobbers. 

Manchester United XI: Kuszczak; M Keane, McGinty, Norwood, Thorpe (Cole 15) (Givern 88), Fryers, Drinkwater, Gibson (Lonsdale 90), W Keane Fornasier (75), Pogba, Petrucci (Lingard 53)

In comparison the Newcastle side from the John Traynor testimonial; John Karelse, Diego Gavilan, Stephen Glass, Ryan McGuffie, David Beharall, Mark Boyd, Jamie Coppinger, Jamie McClen, Lomana LuaLua, Colin McMenamin & Pedro Dimas

Substitutes: Joe Kendrick for Glass (15), Stephen Brennan for Beharall (46) & Pablo Bonvin for LuaLua (46)

17 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

That was some day out, especially with the joint ticket for the horses as well. I think most of that MUFC select side went on to have pretty respectable careers, only one of two of them turned out to be utter jobbers. 

The score of 0-1 didn't reflect how well Ayr played. Kevin Cuthbert was absolutely brilliant in goals and Roddy Patterson missed at the end by a couple of inches. Worked very hard that game.

Paul Pogba alone was bought again by Man United for 100 million, could you imagine an Ayr team with that money? Oaft!

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

More people bought tickets than attended so good to see fans still contributing to his testimonial fund knowing they could not be there in person , his game  worn tops have also sold very well only 6 left , thanks to all who contributed yesterday along with all the events to date it’s much appreciated by both Michael and the testimonial committee, only 2 events left , Gala dinner with guest speakers on Saturday 28th  October at Ayr Racecourse ( we play Morton at home in the afternoon) and then finishing his year in mid November with his Racenight ( started with one and ending with one ) tickets for dinner on sale now £500 for table of 10 or £55 each , to book email info@themoff.co.uk , tables selling fast with nearly 70% of them sold already 

I was one of them that couldn't make it but bought a match ticket, had to be done for a player that brought me so much joy over the years. Are there any programmes left from yesterday and if so will they be on sale in the shop on Saturday?

8 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

I was one of them that couldn't make it but bought a match ticket, had to be done for a player that brought me so much joy over the years. Are there any programmes left from yesterday and if so will they be on sale in the shop on Saturday?

Angus there are only a very few left , you can contact the shop tomorrow between 1-5 and reserve 1 ( think only around a dozen left ) phone 01292-263435or mail the shop now on shop@ayrunitedfc.co.uk

Edited by Finlay21

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Angus there are only a very few left , you can contact the shop tomorrow between 1-5 and reserve 1 ( think only around a dozen left ) phone 01292-263435or mail the shop now on shop@ayrunitedfc.co.uk

Angus I have contacted Jan in the shop , she said she will put one away for you and you can pay and pick up on Saturday 

I went along to the Moffs game yesterday. I knew it would be a fairly dull affair but even if we had been playing a "juniors" XI , I'd have wanted to go along and give thanks in some way for his service to us. Kudos to whoever did the programme,  lots of great interviews with past managers/players as well as his family.

As for the Man Utd game, it always brings back so many memories of my old man and I taking advantage of the racing/game deal. The Lingard that played wasnt Jesse iirc. I've got the team sheet somewhere but fck knows where 🤣

Edited by Thereisalight..

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I went along to the Moffs game yesterday. I knew it would be a fairly dull affair but even if we had been playing a "juniors" XI , I'd have wanted to go along and give thanks in some way for his service to us. Kudos to whoever did the programme,  lots of great interviews with past managers/players as well as his family.

As for the Man Utd game, it always brings back so many memories of my old man and I taking advantage of the racing/game deal. The Lingard that played wasnt Jesse iirc. I've got the team sheet somewhere but fck knows where 🤣

Programme is excellent, pulled together by Stuart Wilson and Karen Malcolm 

3 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I see the station hotel in Ayr is completely done for. Whole building looks like it's engulfed

Sad that it's had to come to this but getting rid of it will be great. Could make the site into something really nice, but for years its been a bunch of old duffers stuck in the past trying to save it when it's clearly too far gone. Get rid of it and upgrade the train station, add some shops and flats, would make the town center way better.

The public consultation results on what to do were published not long ago so hopefully this means they can get going as soon as possible on redoing that bit of the town. There's a big footprint there so a good chance to redevelop into something that is actually decent.

Unfortunately I doubt there will be trains running for a while at least. 

Edited by AuAl

12 minutes ago, AuAl said:

The public consultation results on what to do were published not long ago so hopefully this means they can get going as soon as possible on redoing that bit of the town. There's a big footprint there so a good chance to redevelop into something that is actually decent.

Unfortunately I doubt there will be trains running for a while at least. 

I propose a new station with a statue at the front entrance.....

0_AMP_SDR_090622_DAVID_0001.webp