The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Me either but I think at a push he tries Tomlinson and Murphy as wing backs.ย 

That sounds utterly horrific, hopefully not!

I feel like Iโ€™m being incredibly harsh on the young guys, but I really donโ€™t see much in Tomlinson. He can run in a straight line if there is space in front of him, but anything outwith that is pretty horrendous.ย 

I didnโ€™t see the Airdrie game though, so I donโ€™t know if he offered a little more going forward there.ย 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I feel like Iโ€™m being incredibly harsh on the young guys, but I really donโ€™t see much in Tomlinson. He can run in a straight line if there is space in front of him, but anything outwith that is pretty horrendous.ย 

I didnโ€™t see the Airdrie game though, so I donโ€™t know if he offered a little more going forward there.ย 

Aye I donโ€™t think Tomlinson is ready but I think Murphy is more than able to play in a back 5. I kinda see him moving back to a full back role as he gets older anyway. Reads the game really well. I have no idea who else could play on the opposite side though.ย 

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think weโ€™ll see a 3/5 at the back tbh. Going by Browns comments I think McGinty will be dropped.ย 

Wouldn't surprise me based on the fact he dropped Syla for costing us the two goals against Raith

2 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Wouldn't surprise me based on the fact he dropped Syla for costing us the two goals against Raith

I donโ€™t even think Syla was dropped for that. Brown spoke about making changes because we had three games in a week. Once McHugh came in and turned in the performance he did it was going to be hard to drop him.ย 
ย 

For me, Iโ€™d play all three of them.ย 

33 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I just canโ€™t see how we have the players to play that tbh.ย 

I donโ€™t think heโ€™ll drop McGinty, ultimately Sanders has made individual errors too and we looked far more solid with Stanger next to McGinty.ย 

Course we do (we don't).ย ย 

Screenshot_20240304-193238.png

Dropping McGinty would be an absolute heads gone moment. Had a mare on Saturday but who didn't to be honest.

Tomlinson is young and could eventually be a good wing back but let's try that out in pre season friendlies or out on loan please.

ย 

If we're dropping folk for not performing then Dempsey should be benched for McHugh and Syla.

Get Chalmers back in, play the new LB with Stanger at RB.

McKenzie and Bryden - Bench.

Start Dowds and Willibooby together.

Every games a cup final now. No time for pissing about experimenting.

Dropping McGinty would be quite the statement. Not sure I like the idea of it. Nor Brown's whack-a-mole type team selection at this stage of the season. Surely what we need atm is a bit of stability and focus on doing the basics right.ย 

Edited by UpInTheAyr

It would be nice to have a player who could drop into a back three when play is in our defensive third and step up to make a three man midfield when we're further up the park.

Separately, I think the break before the next game will supersede any knee jerk decisions. I'd expect Brown to work on things over the next couple of weeks and pick the team based on how that goes.

McGinty has been solid all season, if Brown drops him for one slack pass-back then I am hitting the panic button.ย 
ย 

When you are under constant pressure, players get physically and mentally tired. Playing 4231 means teams go through us like a doze of salts, playing McKenzie and Murphy means the full backs get more protection but it still causes problems.ย 
ย 

Id be more inclined to play three in the middle with Chalmers, Murphy and Dowds up front, so that the midfield is a 5 defending and 2 attacking with McHugh or Smith supporting.ย 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

At Airdrie he was exceptional going forward.

Brown's not wrong with what he saysย 

If you think away back to his first game away to QP, that's probably the last league game where we've lost a league goal which hasn't been through an error...

Dundee United at home Albinson gifted both goals.

Airdrie we got skinned in RB area for first goal and then the second one Mutch could have probably done better.

Then Raith Syla gives the ball away in midfield for both goals.

Partick you had the goalie error at the first, Adeloye's goal i'm not sure if you could do much with tbf as the cross was a peach then you had the calamity own goal for the 3rd.

Then Saturday there at Dunfermlineย 

Safe to say we're certainly getting punished just now for every mistake we make

11 hours ago, Rb123 said:

Brown's not wrong with what he saysย 

If you think away back to his first game away to QP, that's probably the last league game where we've lost a league goal which hasn't been through an error...

Dundee United at home Albinson gifted both goals.

Airdrie we got skinned in RB area for first goal and then the second one Mutch could have probably done better.

Then Raith Syla gives the ball away in midfield for both goals.

Partick you had the goalie error at the first, Adeloye's goal i'm not sure if you could do much with tbf as the cross was a peach then you had the calamity own goal for the 3rd.

Then Saturday there at Dunfermlineย 

Safe to say we're certainly getting punished just now for every mistake we make

For balance how many goals have we scored through good fortune or have they all been all our own well worked efforts? Our squad is imbalanced and we just need to pick up enough points to see us over the line. I expect some games to be horrific viewing and the next week decent with little reason as to why. Analysis doesn't always help at the minute.ย ย 

2 hours ago, AyrExile said:

For balance how many goals have we scored through good fortune or have they all been all our own well worked efforts? Our squad is imbalanced and we just need to pick up enough points to see us over the line. I expect some games to be horrific viewing and the next week decent with little reason as to why. Analysis doesn't always help at the minute.ย ย 

Aye, it's the Scottish Championship. 95% of goals scored at this level will be at least partly attributable to a mistake.