The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, Hursty said:

Walker is the one that worries me.   Obviously miles off the first team plans but somebody justified signing him 

Yesterday he was likely the 21st man so he's not miles off as he was still out warming up. Brown was interested in him for Fleetwood so he's probably the somebody.

Worth noting he rarely played on loan at Morecambe or Oldham last season. In April Micky Mellon said he didn't feel he was ready for first team football so if he's seen as raw then it may come down to what playing time Brown offered him as to whether or not he'll do a Pendlebury.

Edited by GaryMc93

14 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Yesterday he was likely the 21st man so he's not miles off as he was still out warming up. Brown was interested in him for Fleetwood so he's probably the somebody.

Worth noting he rarely played on loan at Morecambe or Oldham last season. In April Micky Mellon said he didn't feel he was ready for first team football so if he's seen as raw then it may come down to what playing time Brown offered him as to whether or not he'll do a Pendlebury.

We've given this guy a two year deal and he's not able to make the squad against Buckie Thistle? Sheesh. 

7 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

IMG_6708.thumb.jpeg.47d26b4e48f99779dd31965cd398e0bd.jpeg

I will say before hand that this is sarcastic, but I don’t see Grangemouth having a scalp as big as this? Their 80000 extra season tickets might sway things though.

The cash from the Celtic and Killie games must have been a godsend to a club with no cash.

While it's disappointing not to go through, that might have masked that, while we're miles ahead of where we've been in previous seasons, there are still things that need addressed with the squad. By the sound of things, Brown realises that too, so I'm feeling fairly confident we'll have a decent season.

Watched the fan made highlights on YouTube and on another day we could have scored 10 Riddgers had a good game and we were wastefull up front, cracking goal from Hastie though if Brown can get him to even 50% of the player he was when he broke through at Motherwell it will be a good signing.

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Holy f**k - that is an absurd amount of sitters to miss. 

When your main strikers are off it, you need to rely on someone coming on not to do the exact same thing as well. 

TBF the wingers did come in and score 3 goals, in a normal league game your happy that 3 goals come from the midfield, just happens we needed ather 2 or 3 on top of it most weeks we won't be chasing 5 or 6 goals 

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Holy f**k - that is an absurd amount of sitters to miss. 

When your main strikers are off it, you need to rely on someone coming on not to do the exact same thing as well. 

Even more ridiculous when Hastie goes and thumps one in from distance. 

I don’t have any concerns with Dowds or Oakley but it’s clear that we don’t really have anyone to come on and make a difference when things aren’t going our way. I’m not sure who we’re getting in that’ll understand that he won’t be starting many games and will be used for 20-30 minutes off the bench. It kind of rules out any loans as clubs will want assurances of playing time. 

The aim with signing another striker is to get someone that's good enough to start, rather than only impact the game from the bench if Oakley/Dowds are off it. Ideally you want competition for places all over the park to boost the level of the group

What I will say about the game yesterday is, we won’t be playing that high a line in many game. We had to go out and force 4/5 goals against a team not wanting broke down. Especially the second half, the goal to make it 2-1 really killed our chances and we just had to go high. Ref missing a blatant ref and penalty (shock horror Colin Steven) didn’t help, but we did miss a lot of chances, with Dowds being the main contributor there. Really need to see some sort of competent back up coming in for them. I try not to go overboard on Bryden given he came through the youth system, but it’s just not going to be him. Brown has his own questions to answer on Walker as well, where does he fit in? Was surprised it wasn’t McKenzie for Dowds yesterday, he’s looked a lot better in pre season, albeit on the wing. That gives me slightly more hope he’s not going to be utilised as a striker and we may get another striker in with another midfielder. 

I've doubled my ignore list on the last 24 hours. Remarkable effort from fans of teams who haven't beaten us this season.

On Walker, there’s a few possibilities here. 

A) He’s homesick or there’s a personal issue relating to game time ala Pendlebury. Would expect this to lead to a loan or permanent move back down South. 

B) Despite tracking him at Fleetwood, Brown has concluded he’s useless and has no use for him. I think this is unlikely as he hasn’t actually had much game time and when played he didn’t stand out for being especially poor. Again, might lead to him leaving. 

C) He’s severely lacking in fitness or something else that’s preventing him from playing. This seems the most likely scenario for me. Already been mentioned that a previous manager had doubts about his readiness for first team football. Whilst this would be a surprise given his age it’s maybe another Roy Syla situation that he’s never been given a chance. Syla looked very raw for large parts of last season and even now still shows that he hasn’t played a huge amount of games. If this is the case then I’d guess a loan move to League One at least until January is on the cards. It also explains why we went back and signed Hastie when it seemed like we were stacking up on wingers. 

I’d far rather we tried to solve the problem and get him to develop rather than completely cut our losses this early and write him off as a dud. 

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t have any concerns with Dowds or Oakley but it’s clear that we don’t really have anyone to come on and make a difference when things aren’t going our way. I’m not sure who we’re getting in that’ll understand that he won’t be starting many games and will be used for 20-30 minutes off the bench. It kind of rules out any loans as clubs will want assurances of playing time. 

Not really sure what Brown will do on the striker front . Will he sign another big unit in order to keep two big guys on the field at all times or does he go with something different ? I don’t think he’ll sign another young player on loan or on the books .

On the Walker front perhaps the boy is homesick and wanting more football, another Pendleberry , or maybe he’s carrying a knock , but we are stacked with wide players so it shouldn’t be a worry either way .

On the LC , let’s just walk away from it and learn lessons . On the plus side we beat Buckie & Stenny . Had that been the Scottish Cup we’d be happy bunnies .

On the season ahead surely Devlin and Frankie will be our most weeks central defence and McMann will go to left back . 
We have great options out wide and two decent strikers (usually) who may not be used together in the Championship, I see a 451 being deployed sometimes . We do however need somebody new in central midfield and as above a third striker of quality , lump or baller ? Who knows . 

We’re gonna be fine this season, end of season prize money might just make up for what we missed in the LC . Plus we get to watch Falkirk disappear up their own arse when the heavy weather arrives . Let’s all get up to Hamilton and cheer on the boys on Saturday .