The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 hours ago, railwayend said:

On the Rose/Bell topic ,while both were prone to the odd howler the bigger picture really was quite simple ,Ayr were not a  strong team in defence . Both  full backs bombed forward and were supported (use the term loosely) by two non defenders usually at right and left midfield . Any centre half would struggle under those circumstances . I'm guessing  next seasons team may be a bit more pragmatic. Geggan at right mid ,a new tough right back maybe even Doc at right back . Even putting a lump of wood on the left would be a defensive improvement on Robbie or McDaid .This brings me to Ayr fans pantomime villain ,one Arron Muirhead ,the fans seem to give him the tut tut treatment because his range of pass is limited where as Rose could ping  it about all over the place . Truth is Rose is the modern defender ,good footballer/average defender . Muirhead is an old style  stopper , clears his line and doesn't get pushed around . Loved the elbow to the back of Cardle's head ,which sparkled the wee Pikey for about ten minutes and calmed Thistle down a bit as they were threatening to give us a beasting at Somerset in Aprril . We are going to need him next season and maybe another in midfield just like him if we are to finish in the top 6 ....Just saying ...

Good post.

Iike you say, if you play a possession based attacking style then you're likely to be left short at the back and vulnerable to the long ball over the top as we were from time to time last season.

The bottom line is that we played this way from the beginning and it worked as we were top of the league up until Christmas, obviously injuries and form dips started to catch up on us, however I don't think any of our players should be blamed for anything, as making the play offs with the small squad and small budget that we had was nothing short of miraculous when all was said and done.

As you say about Muirhead, he is what he is, he's more like an old school destroyer than an elegant sweeper style CB, however my only worry is that to play a building from the back passing style is that we NEED someone who can pass the ball as opposed to someone who just clears his lines, but again I'm sure McCall knows what he's doing better than I do !!!

He'll get on absolutely fine in that division in terms of ability. The only thing he may have to overcome is the 'My Nan could score 60 in Scotland' type fuds in the stands that will undoubtedly think they should be shopping in a bigger and better market.

17 hours ago, railwayend said:

On the Rose/Bell topic ,while both were prone to the odd howler the bigger picture really was quite simple ,Ayr were not a  strong team in defence . Both  full backs bombed forward and were supported (use the term loosely) by two non defenders usually at right and left midfield . Any centre half would struggle under those circumstances . I'm guessing  next seasons team may be a bit more pragmatic. Geggan at right mid ,a new tough right back maybe even Doc at right back . Even putting a lump of wood on the left would be a defensive improvement on Robbie or McDaid .This brings me to Ayr fans pantomime villain ,one Arron Muirhead ,the fans seem to give him the tut tut treatment because his range of pass is limited where as Rose could ping  it about all over the place . Truth is Rose is the modern defender ,good footballer/average defender . Muirhead is an old style  stopper , clears his line and doesn't get pushed around . Loved the elbow to the back of Cardle's head ,which sparkled the wee Pikey for about ten minutes and calmed Thistle down a bit as they were threatening to give us a beasting at Somerset in Aprril . We are going to need him next season and maybe another in midfield just like him if we are to finish in the top 6 ....Just saying ...

Didn’t we end up somewhere close to a record for clean sheets?  The defence was superb in the first half of the season.  Second half was more difficult.  Different explanations for that.  We were scoring far fewer goals which ramped up the pressure on the defence not to concede.  Rose lost the plot for 2 months after signing his pre-contract.  But for me, the biggest single factor was Bell’s influence diminishing through injury and general leg weariness.  

The pressure was being ramped up on the defence because we were no longer keeping the ball. Lumping hopeless balls up to Shankland and hoping he made something of nothing did not work, and as a result the ball came straight back far quicker than it had done before. The noticeable change in playing style was to blame both for our mid-late season defensive fragility and our lack of threat up top. Quite why it changed so dramatically remains an absolute mystery to me.

Wanting to get the train to this one but priced it on the ScotRail app and a return is £54.60, is there a way of getting it cheaper than this? Never usually get the train unless it’s to the local games like Stranraer, qots etc. 

1 hour ago, Salem Saberhagen said:

The pressure was being ramped up on the defence because we were no longer keeping the ball. Lumping hopeless balls up to Shankland and hoping he made something of nothing did not work, and as a result the ball came straight back far quicker than it had done before. The noticeable change in playing style was to blame both for our mid-late season defensive fragility and our lack of threat up top. Quite why it changed so dramatically remains an absolute mystery to me.

Not that big a mystery.  Kerr was hugely important up until November forming a strong partnership with Murdoch.  Injury and age caught up with him and he barely figured after Christmas (the Friday night game at Dunfermline the only real exception).  Moffat ran out of legs too and Shankland looked to be carrying some kind of ankle problem from January onwards.  Teams also figured out we had no real pace or quality in the wide areas (apologies to McDaid fans) so started putting bodies around Moffat and Shankland stopping them playing.  I personally think we missed Forrest as well who would surely have offered more than Cadden or Miller, who were both pretty rank.  Add to that the defensive wobbles (2 of our starting back 4 had signed pre-contracts elsewhere and looked it for a good few weeks through January and February) and its not hard to see why we went to pieces.

The worry for next season is that we are building our team around Geggan and Adams who were perma-crocks last year, Kerr and Moffat who can’t be asked to play every week anymore and Ferguson and McCowan who are essentially unproven at this level.  If we don’t get 4 or 5 solid signings in, we are clearly going to be in serious trouble.

26 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Wanting to get the train to this one but priced it on the ScotRail app and a return is £54.60, is there a way of getting it cheaper than this? Never usually get the train unless it’s to the local games like Stranraer, qots etc. 

Scotrail logic......

£54 from Barrhead or £14.40 from Central. Its £5.40rtn from Barrhead to Glasgow for reference the thieving c**ts.

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:

Scotrail logic......

£54 from Barrhead or £14.40 from Central. Its £5.40rtn from Barrhead to Glasgow for reference the thieving c**ts.

One of my mates linked me to a website Trainsplit.com but not sure how genuine it is.