The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, eez-eh said:

The plan was Russell would let us loan out Ecrepont, then when Mutch was back that would let us loan out Russell. Was in an interview with either Brown or Mathie when we signed Russell, can’t remember who.

Bringing in another doesn’t make much sense unless something has happened with Mutch

believe it was a Timmins interview

Just now, Kircer bairn said:

Can’t see Raith splashing £10k weekly wage tbh.

back at it with this banger again, come back with new material please or better yet don't come back at all thank you

9 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

back at it with this banger again, come back with new material please or better yet don't come back at all thank you

The boy is a banger and best ignored. He’s cute though. Might be worth keeping him as a pet?

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Smith sounding a touch exasperated in that interview. Sounded a bit more than just trying to the usual come to Somerset speech

If i was to guess, they probably budgeted for 2,000 season ticket sales, at least...

11 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Smith sounding a touch exasperated in that interview. Sounded a bit more than just trying to the usual come to Somerset speech

If they've budgeted for higher attendances/season ticket sales that's on them, not the fans. It's also a bit early to be panicking unless the numbers are way out.

23 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I thought that too. Attendance are never going to just double that quickly though. I actually thought the attendance on Friday night was decent for a Friday night on TV. I can't see Saturday being much better considering Hamilton don't have a big fan base.

Think the club need to temper expectations with regards to the crowds. 2000ish on Friday was pretty decent imo and after a brilliant performance I’d imagine the vast majority of them will be back on Saturday. The easiest way to improve crowds is to win games of football more often than not and if we continue on our current upwards trajectory I have no doubt the crowds will continue to rise. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

IMO, people are reading far far too much into that Smith interview. 

I don't think the club are in imminent danger and do expect a bumper crowd for the next home game (and the one after that, if that one is also a win). But it was exactly the same thing you heard from McCall every week back in the day, and he wasn't being shy about it.

The one thing I'd say is that advertising outside the Ayrshire Post is still mostly unexplored. Get some signs up in the town. As someone suggested, get a spot on West FM (ideally two days after Boab has gotten Covid). Invite every skinny wee ginger influencer in the country and beyond to come to a home game. Maybe advertise the new box in Fox Hunting Times or at the Masonics or something. My dad didn't phone me after Friday to talk about the game even though it was on the telly and that's my usual sign that the club has gotten the word beyond the usuals.

10 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Don't really get their point on this.  We had 2857 there on Friday with roughly 400 away fans.  Meaning we had nearly as many walk up fans as we did season tickets.  That's not going to fall away if they keep going well.  

Exactly, the season ticket metric is not nearly as important as the attendance overall. I thought that 2800+ for a Friday night was really good.

I do think that a season ticket is a relic of the past - a very simplistic model that probably doesn't work well financially for a lot of people. Now that we have the technology to be able to do dynamic pricing and other more flexible options we should really be exploring that. I buy a season ticket but that's not really a rational choice - I can never attend  any midweek games due to work commitments and when you factor in games missed due to holidays etc. it is really partly a donation to the club in my case. I am sure that I am not the only one. Having said that, although 1270 is low compared to the clubs that we would consider to be our peers, it's still over 20% up on last year I believe and in any other business that kind of metric would be considered a major success.

I think the more important thing is to measure the overall gate numbers and how they compare year on year. The other aspect is the spend per person - much better quality food and drink would increase that.

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Can’t see it, had a dodgy game v Dundee United but really liked the look of him since then. 

I like him as well, got told him and Brown don't see eye to eye, but how true that story is remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

I like him as well, got told him and Brown don't see eye to eye, but how true that story is remains to be seen.

One of my main criticisms of Brown is how knee jerk he is with regards to players. Emptying a player after six competitive games who has been more than decent would be extremely harsh and doesn’t bode well for other potential loan players.