The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

51 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

On the other hand it is beneficial to have a squad of players assembled so early in the season if we were to have an injury to Rus or Dempsey we already have that player to cover training everyday with us 

I made that point in the second part of my post. 
we signed a guy, who has played in the English Championship and is an under 21 cap, a very good pedigree….to very little fanfare which shows how good our squad is currently performing, it’s not a case of him signing and the majority of the fans thinking, thank f**k, X will not have to play again…like in previous windows.

The hope is that, if Rus misses a game, he comes in and we don’t miss a beat. I like Syla but he’s not the same player as Rus, when he comes on, the midfield performs differently. Hopefully he’ll bring continuity. 

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

It feels a bit underwhelming to sign a player on loan, from an English Championship team, who’s not likely to come straight in to the team, that no one would have him replace any of the midfield at this current time. 

Obviously he’s been signed to be a like for like swap and it should mean that if Rus gets injured, he’ll cover, like Syla for Dempsey. 
It just feels at the moment, it would have to be a very big name or a very interesting name we’d have to sign for it to be exciting due to the level the squad is currently operating. 

The biggest problem with Bullen was we only ever had one way of playing, now we have options.

2 hours ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

We have played 3 out of 4 games at home, with two strikers up front, which has worked, ..............so far.

When we play away against teams likely to top half, perhaps we might not be as adventurous.

Not sure I'd be a fan of this. Surely part of the reason he's playing two up front is to overwhelm the defence and batter them into submission. If he stepped back a bit from this it would feel like he's taking his foot of the gas.

The old if they if they score two we'll score three mantra.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Not sure I'd be a fan of this. Surely part of the reason he's playing two up front is to overwhelm the defence and batter them into submission. If he stepped back a bit from this it would feel like he's taking his foot of the gas.

The old if they if they score two we'll score three mantra.

Seems to me the best way of defending is two have two real nuisances up front who won't let teams build from the back. Perhaps in a really tough away game you'd keep that pair but sacrifice one of the lighter weight midfielders for someone with more dig?

6 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Seems to me the best way of defending is two have two real nuisances up front who won't let teams build from the back. Perhaps in a really tough away game you'd keep that pair but sacrifice one of the lighter weight midfielders for someone with more dig?

Could imagine something like a McKenzie in for Murphy move etc

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Where is the Ayr United poster boy Fraser Bryden? 🤔

Murdoch and Ecrepont are out on loan too, they're in the picture 🫤

They still train with Ayr Mon-Fri, Bryden would most likely be training with QOTS at the time

14 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Where is the Ayr United poster boy Fraser Bryden? 🤔

Murdoch and Ecrepont are out on loan too, they're in the picture 🫤

He trains full time at QoS , Murdoch and Ecrepont train at Ayr 2/3 days per week 

16 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

He trains full time at QoS , Murdoch and Ecrepont train at Ayr 2/3 days per week 

Do you know Howleys squad number?  Was assuming he'd might have taken 11 from Bryden as he's away for the season.

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Do you know Howleys squad number?  Was assuming he'd might have taken 11 from Bryden as he's away for the season.

Bryden still a signed player so retains his squad number , Howley will play under squad number 25