The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Gutted for Murdoch

I dont think we should rush and sign just anyone, as we do have Kelly, Doc, Kerr and also Bell, Adams and Geggan that could cover - i wonder if we will revert back to 4-4-2 to compensate?

However if there is money and someone quality available we should try and get them, given Doc, Adams and Geggan are all injury prone and bound to be out at some point, Kelly is still young and Kerr is getting on a bit so both will probably need a rest at some point - its not urgent but we should be looking at options.

Not to be harsh but could we punt Ross back to Aberdeen and look to get someone else on loan?

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What do you mean they don’t count?

If they can play there then chances are they’ll do so at some point this season. Frank Ross (when fit) might play there at some point.

We couldn’t go a run if 5-10 matches of playing Bell/Adams in midfield for 90 mins every match. They’d get murdered. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

So, basically we now start with three central midfielders and only have three.

Adams, Bell and Geggan don’t count - they’re all defenders now.

Docherty and Kerr will be injured at some point too undoubtedly.

Geggan will do Murdoch's role after Saturday. 

We couldn’t go a run if 5-10 matches of playing Bell/Adams in midfield for 90 mins every match. They’d get murdered. 

Adams yes.

But I can see Geggan or Bell being used in midfield until January. Unless there’s someone out there that could come in just now.

Neither are good enough in midfield in this league. Geggan was dreadful there in league one!

He was barely used in midfield that season and coped well enough playing on the right hand side of a 4 last season. If he’s got Kelly next to him to do the running and Doc to give him a bit of protection behind him then it’ll have to do.

No one said it was perfect but with our budget we can’t afford to have a brilliant replacement ready to go in case of injury.

30 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Neither are good enough in midfield in this league. Geggan was dreadful there in league one!

The position Murdoch has been playing isn't remotely the same as where Geggan played in midfield for Ayr. 

Would you compare Nicky Devlin playing centre back in a back 3 to Rose playing in a back 4?  

The position Murdoch has been playing isn't remotely the same as where Geggan played in midfield for Ayr. 
Would you compare Nicky Devlin playing centre back in a back 3 to Rose playing in a back 4?  

Do you believe Geggan can play the position Murdoch plays effectively?!

Your comparison is ridiculous - defensively a back three to a four is a huge difference.

As is two central midfielders to three central midfielders.

It’s not remotely the same, isn’t nearly as big a change as four to three at the back and is a pointless argument.

Will Geggan playing as part of a three in midfield in the championship be any better than as part of a two in league one - I doubt it.

35 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Do you believe Geggan can play the position Murdoch plays effectively?!

Your comparison is ridiculous - defensively a back three to a four is a huge difference.

Yes, not as well but certainly effectively.  

Considering you just agreed on there being a huge difference I'm failing to see how my point is ridiculous? 

Yes, not as well but certainly effectively.  
Considering you just agreed on there being a huge difference I'm failing to see how my point is ridiculous? 

As there isn’t such a huge difference between a two/three in midfield.

I hope so too but we’ll see!

It’s not remotely the same, isn’t nearly as big a change as four to three at the back and is a pointless argument.

Will Geggan playing as part of a three in midfield in the championship be any better than as part of a two in league one - I doubt it.

I didn’t say it’s as big a change as a back 4 to a 3 however it’s still a change. There’s a reason Docherty looks better in a 3 compared to a 2.

I hate to throw this one in, but do we not have a youth team that contains Midfielders ?

This is something which has often puzzled me as over the past couple of years we don't seem to have any real thoughts of bringing anyone in from the youth side, McCowan and Forrest aside.

In years gone by we would have tried out our youngsters such as Greg Shaw, Scott Chaplain, Neil Scally, Alan McTurk, Brian Bilsland, Willie Lyle etc, (with varying degrees of success) but nowadays we seem very reluctant to blood anyone mid season.

I know we've had some of the young guys out to Ayrshire Junior clubs to toughen them up as it were and I also know there's a few highly rated, so again I'd ask why not give them a chance, at least as cover if nothing else.

Look at Kelly, many thought we were signing a young inexperienced boy who wouldn't quite be up to it and Yes, he is a boy and he is inexperienced, however he's also been one of our best performers this season so again if you're good enough then age and lack of experience should NEVER be a barrier as far as I'm concerned...............

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

See Alan Hutton is thinking about retiring after being released by Villa and doesn't have a club.....................Troon boy........................

He could do a good job for them.

54 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As there isn’t such a huge difference between a two/three in midfield.

I hope so too but we’ll see!

A midfield three could not be any less similar to a midfield two, are you just choosing to die on this hill just because?