Skiddingston v TWF Dundee United | TWF Dundee United v Skiddingston - Playoffs

17 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

Ah ok - clip suggested he didn’t cheers. Must have been edited. I will sleep better tonight knowing that.

Not sure if someone has answered this, but the ref blew for a foul and was about to book Byrne when Flood has his little "set to", it's only after all that was dealt with did the ref then come back and book Byrne.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Well, last season Morton finished fourth and went into the playoffs having not played competitively for several weeks  months. It didn't help them.

Fixed it for you.

Its the fact that you have so many must win games packed into a couple of weeks that makes it suit the top flight club more. When we played Killie a couple of seasons ago they were consigned to the second bottom place with a few games to go and could rest their whole team whilst we were slogging it out over two legs with Hibs. And if your 3rd or 4th you have to play 2 games a week for 3 weeks in a row to go up having just slogged it out over a tough season. That plus the second leg automatically being at the top flight clubs ground when to me it should be drawn.

That works both ways as CS pointed out Morton knew for weeks they were going to finish top 4 last season.

Anyway, Falkirk finished 2nd that season and played the same amount of league games.

Kilmarnock proved to be the fitter and better team.

4th place in a 10 team league doesn't deserve a shot at promotion imo but the clubs disagree.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Well, last season Morton finished fourth and went into the playoffs having not played competitively for several weeks. It didn't help them.

Yeah it's a fine line balancing resting players and keeping them ticking over (whilst also trying to keep them suspension and injury free) so they don't lose match sharpness. I was a bit worried going into our game on Monday there with us not having played our players in  competitive mode the last two league games, after securing 2nd place against Brechin. Utd had momentum going into the game and we could have been a bit ring rusty, didn't work out like that though with such  early goals and the frantic start to the game, so Hoppy got the balance right, 

39 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

4th place in a 10 team league doesn't deserve a shot at promotion imo but the clubs disagree.

It should be 2nd vs 11th, ideally in a one off game. 2nd has proven over a season they're better than 3rd or 4th. There's a debate to be had over the relative quality of teams in separate leagues.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It should be 2nd vs 11th, ideally in a one off game. 2nd has proven over a season they're better than 3rd or 4th. There's a debate to be had over the relative quality of teams in separate leagues.

Fairest solution overall, but would probably have it home and away. 3rd probably and definitely 4th should not have a shot at promotion.

Not sure 2nd bottom should have a chance at staying up either tbh, I like the English style of play offs better, but you'd need bigger leagues for them to work here.

As things stand the play offs positions keep it from being meaningless for most team having something to play for in the final league games, and the play offs themselves are usually entertaining too. 

I seem to recall about 17 years ago when Falkirk won the first division but were denied promotion because their Stadium didn't meet standards (think it was still Brockville then) there was one huge debate concerning the teams at the top of the first division actually being better than those at the bottom of the SPL but not allowed promotion because of the SPL's "protectionist policies".

Whatever the merits of this argument you could argue that the play-offs system puts that to bed although, I suppose, if you haven't been good enough over an entire season to get into second place then you're not there by merit.

For me however, following a team that's normally battling at the other end of the league this has been a pleasant change; the strategy and build up for games is entirely different from normal league business although I do struggle to understand the negative attitude of some United supporters; after all it really is only halftime and the draw is a long way off being finished.

Agreed on the playoffs giving some meaning to some clubs, and also to being entertaining, but all in I don't like them.

I'd go back to the old two up two down system, as like some have said the 2nd place team earned that right over a whole season, not just a couple of games. The SPFL shouldn't be rewarding mediocrity by allowing the fourth place out of a small (10-12 team) league the opportunity to get promoted. It's the same with European slots in the Premiership...I don't see why the League cup doesn't have a Euro slot as a national cup competition, but fourth place in the Prem does? It seems they just copy the English model without realising that we don't have the numbers or the quality to justify it.

Prime example is Brechin. They played well over the couple of playoff matches, but got fourth by the skin of their teeth and ended up promoted into a league they were miles out of their depth in.

5 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

I don't see why the League cup doesn't have a Euro slot as a national cup competition, but fourth place in the Prem does?

Because the league is a far more important competition than the league cup for one.

10 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Because the league is a far more important competition than the league cup for one.

Fourth place out of twelve though? The Scottish Cup gets one...why not the League Cup too?

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That works both ways as CS pointed out Morton knew for weeks they were going to finish top 4 last season.

Anyway, Falkirk finished 2nd that season and played the same amount of league games.

Kilmarnock proved to be the fitter and better team.

I agree  4th place doesnt deserve a bash  but whether you rest players or not going into these games, to win promotion if you come 3rd or 4th still means  6 full on games in 3 weeks  .  Even if you come second and  your knocking your pan in to beat a team like hibs  over two legs there's not going to be much left in the tank to beat a team like Killie over another two legs  straight away.  These are teams that start the season off with an extra million plus at least in their budgets which should surely be advantage enough without giving them any extra benefits.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Any Livi fans (or anyone else!) know how busy the Queensferry bridge is likely to be at about 6pm - 6.30pm on Friday?

Sure there'll be plenty of room but thats a bit early to be jumping off it, isnt it?

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

I seem to recall about 17 years ago when Falkirk won the first division but were denied promotion because their Stadium didn't meet standards (think it was still Brockville then) there was one huge debate concerning the teams at the top of the first division actually being better than those at the bottom of the SPL but not allowed promotion because of the SPL's "protectionist policies".

It's not like Falkirk didn't know the situation, they were "denied" after spending the money on players and not the death trap that was Brockville.

Archived