Kieran Tierney

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm sorry but as part of a 2 man centre pairing Tierney would get rag dolled at International level. Any top forward worth his salt is going to play off of him and use his physicality against him. Back three and he's a great shout.

What do you mean by "International level"? San Marino? France? Greece? 

How many teams we come up against have a "top forward"?

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think the solution Strachan seemed to have settled on latterly, if I recall correctly, with Tierney at right-back and Robertson at left-back is probably still our best bet. I'm sure Tierney would be fine as a left sided centre-back in a three, but I'd be reluctant to have Robertson as a wing-back as I think he's most effective offensively when he is running from deeper. 

Palmer has mostly been good and should be ahead of O'Donnell in the pecking order, but it's not like Tierney would be depriving us of an excellent natural right-back by playing there. 

Serious question - how many times has Tierney played RB for Scotland and against whom?

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

What do you mean by "International level"? San Marino? France? Greece? 

How many teams we come up against have a "top forward"?

The teams we are competing with to gain qualification.  Most of them have a forward who would walk in to our starting line up.

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think the solution Strachan seemed to have settled on latterly, if I recall correctly, with Tierney at right-back and Robertson at left-back is probably still our best bet. I'm sure Tierney would be fine as a left sided centre-back in a three, but I'd be reluctant to have Robertson as a wing-back as I think he's most effective offensively when he is running from deeper. 

Palmer has mostly been good and should be ahead of O'Donnell in the pecking order, but it's not like Tierney would be depriving us of an excellent natural right-back by playing there. 

I think he'd be fine as a wing back as he's still running from deep. Playing as an old fashioned winger is a no-no though.

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Serious question - how many times has Tierney played RB for Scotland and against whom?

According to a quick Google search, he played there six times under Strachan in the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign, which sounds about right - I think I recall him playing there against Slovakia and Slovenia at Hampden and away to Lithuania, off the top of my head (although I could be misremembering). 

Edited by DrewDon

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

According to a quick Google search, he played there six times under Strachan in the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign, which sounds about right - I think I recall him playing there against Slovakia and Slovenia at Hampden and away to Lithuania, off the top of my head (although I could be misremembering). 

And in those games he got better and better.

Agree that rb is where Tierney should be playing.

Personally i dont think he'd be big enough or physical enough to play as a centre back in a 2. 

We're not going to play 532 (i hope)

So put him at right back. That's where were really struggling. He's a massive improvement on palmer.

Im surprised anyone is still touting o'donnell. He's looked way way out of his depth against the better teams.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Fair for not answering the questions 

I answered it. The teams we are battling with to qualify have forwards who are more than competent at International level. Are you saying Dzyuba wouldn't get a game for Scotland? The Belgians go without saying.

Can you really see Tierney stopping Haaland? No doubt he has a good chance of containing him on the ground but Norway are not going to play against him there.

And in those games he got better and better.
Agree that rb is where Tierney should be playing.
Personally i dont think he'd be big enough or physical enough to play as a centre back in a 2. 
We're not going to play 532 (i hope)
So put him at right back. That's where were really struggling. He's a massive improvement on palmer.
Im surprised anyone is still touting o'donnell. He's looked way way out of his depth against the better teams.
Can he not play left inside forward like Anya did?

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Quick Google search says none of their forwards scored. It's was 3 midfielders.

If true, that tells a story on its own, doesn't it?

Travelled across six time zones to watch Graeme Shinnie play left back for Scotland that night.

His only positive contribution was to ensure Liam Palmer wasn't the worst player on the park.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Travelled across six time zones to watch Graeme Shinnie play left back for Scotland that night.

His only positive contribution was to ensure Liam Palmer wasn't the worst player on the park.

And you're advocating Tierney not starting 

I would like to but I can't say what I think. I would be in trouble, I would be suspended. I don't want to be. 

49 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

We were unbeaten in the 6 games that he played at right-back under Strachan. 4 wins and 2 draws.

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Christ knows, google says so. But ive never heard of any of them.

Tbh I didn't even watch that game, probably working. But I prefered palmer to o'donnell over the campaign. Just thought he was slightly better on the ball and had better awareness and passing.

O'donnell just seemed to be out of ideas quickly against decent teams.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

And you're advocating Tierney not starting 

I would like to but I can't say what I think. I would be in trouble, I would be suspended. I don't want to be. 

Eh?????

If my opinion of Tierney, O'Donnell and Palmer at RB have that effect, then maybe you should take a break from the keyboard for a while.