Kieran Tierney

It’s a good move. He’s going to a good league, a good standard. It will be a fantastic life experience, first and foremost, but also a fantastic professional experience to play in La Liga. He still has Champions League football with Real Sociedad. I’ve spoken to Kieran and he’s in a really good place. Hopefully, he’ll get some minutes before we meet up.

Kieran was frustrated, but he was also very mature about it and very professional. I thought he handled the situation really well and now he’s got his move. It’s down to Kieran to get back down to the business of playing football week in, week out. If he’s doing that then I think, even though he’s been really good for Scotland, he can get even better in the future. You would hope that would be the case. There was that little ‘I’ll show you I’m a good player’ element when he was coming away, but he’s certainly done that when he’s played for us.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23752057.scotland-manager-unfazed-fifa-rule-international-allegiances/

23 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Tom English getting it right up @Alan Twelve

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66627893

"of the places he could have gone to he made it known his number one choice was Sociedad."

"Given that Sociedad are paying Arsenal a loan fee as well as..."

"Sociedad do not spend money with abandon"

"With stability and regular starts at Sociedad the next phase of Tierney's career is..."

Ha Ha. It was a really bizarre take.

Given that Real simply means Royal and is used by other clubs in Madrid, Mallorca and Zaragoza to name a few and given that the city of San Sebastian isn't mentioned in their name, then surely the only one word way to definitively identify them is Sociedad. 🤣

The Real title in Spanish football means that the King has conferred the title on the football club, in the same way that golf clubs in the UK as known as for example Royal Troon, Royal Liverpool, Royal St George’s.

Initially they were called Sociedad de Futbol (society of football). The Real part was only added a year or so later when King Alfonso XIII was spending the summer visiting the area and gave his royal stamp of approval to the club. 

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

Got almost 70 minutes yesterday, came off with ‘Sociedad’ 😉 4-1 up

Excellent news. Things have really shaped up nicely for the squad in this camp. Plenty of players getting significant minutes and in form. Looking forward to the next two games. 

17 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Excellent news. Things have really shaped up nicely for the squad in this camp. Plenty of players getting significant minutes and in form. Looking forward to the next two games. 

image.png.3bb8dce7323c15f4974822b446d62603.png

That's the minutes played as a percentage of those available at each of our players clubs. I suppose it's worth mentioning Steve Clarke said previously he isn't overly concerned over the numbers of minutes players are playing so long as they are getting enough. 

On 13/08/2023 at 12:01, craigkillie said:

It certainly didn't affect his performance against Spain in March anyway.

On 13/08/2023 at 13:20, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well thats impossible to say, what we do know is less match sharpness will affect performance. So he may have been able to play better had he been playing regularly.

He would also have lasted the full 90 mins rather than have to be subbed off.

So yeah it absolutely affected that performance.

Keiran Tierney himself on his match fitness. So we can clarify if there was any further doubt that not playing regular football does affect performances.

Looking forward to seeing him play even better for us.

“Last season was difficult, but in the first half of it I was still playing in the cups and the Europa League.

“It was only later, with the games week by week, that I started to lose some match fitness.

“I’d then report for Scotland duty and was playing a bit of catch up.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Starting tonight away to Real Madrid, if anyone can be arsed watching it and tell me how he plays that would be smashing 👍

Caught the last 20 minutes of the 1st half. Tierney has been very good. Mostly in defensive phases as Real are pressuring but he’s not let anything get past him down his side. He had a one on one with Rodrygo that he looked like he might lose out on but did excellently with his recovery pace. He made one bursting run forward on the counter and only a poor pass from his team mate stopped him creating a chance. 

It’s been an enjoyable game, so going to happily watch the 2nd half.