Kieran Tierney

1466717189_tierney2-0city.thumb.jpg.2e171a7329f736105129652af6909eb0.jpg

Tierney to the P&B haters..  😄

Brilliant performance from him tonight, is there a general consensus that he wouldn't work well as a CB in a back four? Him alongside Cooper/Mckenna would solve a lot of positional headaches if he could perform in that position like he has for Arsenal since the restart.

Edited by Miguel Simao

1 minute ago, Miguel Simao said:

1466717189_tierney2-0city.thumb.jpg.2e171a7329f736105129652af6909eb0.jpg

Tierney to the P&B haters..  😄

Brilliant performance from him tonight, is there a general consensus that he wouldn't work well as a CB in a back four? him alongside Cooper/Mckenna would solve a lot of positional headaches if he could perform in that position like he has for Arsenal since the restart.

Would probably rather see him at right back than in one of the centre back positions given the players we have but I wouldn't rule out him next to Cooper in the middle.

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Would probably rather see him at right back than in one of the centre back positions given the players we have but I wouldn't rule out him next to Cooper in the middle.

Not intended as a criticism of you in any way, but play Tierney to his strengths which is LCB/LWB in a back three system or LB in an orthodox back four.

Playing him at RB or CB needs fired into the sun. It would be a waste of a talent and a dereliction of duty to do so.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

Not intended as a criticism of you in any way, but play Tierney to his strengths which is LCB/LWB in a back three system or LB in an orthodox back four.

This nonsense about playing him at RB or CB needs fired into the sun.

We won't be paying a back three and Robertson is world class. You'd rather play Palmer/O'Donnell or McKenna/Gallagher, seriously?

Tierney since the restart-

9 games in 31 days

8 starts

5 full 90 minutes

Man of the Match in a win against the reigning English, European and World Champions

FA Cup Semi Final win over arguably the best club side in the world

Couple of assists

Wins Arsenal's Player of the Month award

Plays excellently in three different positions

All while coming back from long-term injury/lay-off and settling into a new club and league, with his team in transition

See if he was Dutch and had just turned 23 last month all the talk on here would be f**k me Arsenal have signed some player there have they.  Instead because he's Scottish some people are desperate for him to be shite, and now its been demonstrated to them he's patently not shite they can't wait for him to get injured.  These people would crack a stauner if he broke his leg.  Absolute weirdos.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

We won't be paying a back three and Robertson is world class. You'd rather play Palmer/O'Donnell or McKenna/Gallagher, seriously?

O'Donnell yes - he's a natural right back and the best available in that position at present.

Palmer doesn't do it for me - but he's still a better right back than Tierney.

Tierney is a left sided defender, so let's play him there FFS.

As for the Andy Roberson thing - that's what Steve Clarke is paid a lot of money to sort out, and I'm ready to trust his judgement to make the right call.

Guest DAVIDB69

He had an excellent game , not long till the nations league which is effectively pre season for the English premier sides be interesting to see what happens

Guest DAVIDB69
Are Arsenal still in the Europa?  Could be good for Tierney a couple more games in that and an FA Cup Final.

Long gone out of that , whats your feelings on the first Scotland squad though?

I still get the feeling Clarke will be told not to pick him needs a break. Needs a pre season with the squad etc . I might be wrong but be surprised if he was involved in nations league.

14 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

O'Donnell yes - he's a natural right back and the best available in that position at present.

Palmer doesn't do it for me - but he's still a better right back than Tierney.

Tierney is a left sided defender, so let's play him there FFS.

As for the Andy Roberson thing - that's what Steve Clarke is paid a lot of money to sort out, and I'm ready to trust his judgement to make the right call.

If you would rather play Stephen O'Donnell at right back than Kieran Tierney then I don't think we can continue this conversation. 

1 minute ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Long gone out of that , whats your feelings on the first Scotland squad though?

I still get the feeling Clarke will be told not to pick him needs a break. Needs a pre season with the squad etc . I might be wrong but be surprised if he was involved in nations league.

Nah if he's fit he'll 100% be in the squad and has to be in the team somewhere.  I think he could do a passable job anywhere virtually, I bet he'd be an excellent defensive midfielder or box to box, RB, LB, WB, LCB even CB.  He's just a top drawer footballer that we're lucky to have.

24 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not intended as a criticism of you in any way, but play Tierney to his strengths which is LCB/LWB in a back three system or LB in an orthodox back four.

Playing him at RB or CB needs fired into the sun. It would be a waste of a talent and a dereliction of duty to do so.

But we have a world class LB already.  Its not about what's best for Tierney its just where he can be of most use to the team, he'd be better at RB than any of our other options so he'll probably end up playing there.

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If you would rather play Stephen O'Donnell at right back than Kieran Tierney then I don't think we can continue this conversation. 

It's only my opinion, but yes I would.

You are entitled to disagree with that opinion, of course you are.

However, if you have a problem with accepting my opinion then that's your problem and not mine.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I think the solution Strachan seemed to have settled on latterly, if I recall correctly, with Tierney at right-back and Robertson at left-back is probably still our best bet. I'm sure Tierney would be fine as a left sided centre-back in a three, but I'd be reluctant to have Robertson as a wing-back as I think he's most effective offensively when he is running from deeper. 

Palmer has mostly been good and should be ahead of O'Donnell in the pecking order, but it's not like Tierney would be depriving us of an excellent natural right-back by playing there.