Kieran Tierney

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We were unbeaten in the 6 games that he played at right-back under Strachan. 4 wins and 2 draws.

It's starting to look like I watch games, take in what I'm seeing and make informed judgements. 

Meanwhile the Rubbles of this world create noise. 

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Christ knows, google says so. But ive never heard of any of them.

Tbh I didn't even watch that game, probably working. But I prefered palmer to o'donnell over the campaign. Just thought he was slightly better on the ball and had better awareness and passing.

O'donnell just seemed to be out of ideas quickly against decent teams.

You got lucky not watching the game, trust me.

Palmer was absolutely rotten that night, as were them all to be fair. It was the first time I had seen him in action.

O'Donnell isn't Danny McGrain, he certainly can be put under pressure. My view is that Tierney is likely to be equally susceptible at RB against a decent team who work out he's not a natural RB.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It's starting to look like I watch games, take in what I'm seeing and make informed judgements. 

Meanwhile the Rubbles of this world create noise. 

Why the personal stuff, Marshmallo?

You have a different opinion to mine - that's fair game.

There's no need for anyone to be belittled though.

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

You got lucky not watching the game, trust me.

Palmer was absolutely rotten that night, as were them all to be fair. It was the first time I had seen him in action.

O'Donnell isn't Danny McGrain, he certainly can be put under pressure. My view is that Tierney is likely to be equally susceptible at RB against a decent team who work out he's not a natural RB.

Yeah I do take that on board. He's not in anyway an experienced right back. And possibly could get found out against a belgium or the likes.

I just think he's levels above either the other 2. And even out of position will be superiour.

Hopefully we get to find out.

Just ignore Marshmallo honestly.

On 21/02/2020 at 11:02, Oleksandr said:

Perhaps a loan to a Championship side battling to win the league next season might be best for Tierney? Can go back to being a big fish in a small pond which is where he clearly thrives. Someone like Dundee or whoever gets relegated from the Prem or perhaps Inverness CT. 

On 17/02/2020 at 15:19, Bairnardo said:

Kieran Tearsney when he is pumped on loan to Charlton IMO

On 16/02/2020 at 15:21, Mr. Alli said:

They're willing to cut their losses and punt him and carry on with the likes of Kolasinac and Sako. 

On 17/02/2020 at 13:52, Mr. Alli said:

Arsenal about to give their 18 year old LB a ten times pay rise to keep him at the club. 

Looks like Tierney's time is up. 

On 06/06/2020 at 15:12, Bishop Briggs said:

Tierney needs to move as he's probably 3rd choice behind Kosalinac and Saka. Arsenal have also been linked strongly with PSG's Kurzawa who is out of contract. That should send a clear message about how Arteta rates him.

Chelsea may not be willing to pay the fee that Leicester will demand for Chilwell, probably over £60 million. Leicester, however, will need another left-back with Fuchs out of contract anyway.

Would Tierney be willing to go to Leicester if Chilwell stays?  Would the Leicester bench be better than sitting in the stands at the Emirates? 

Just a handful of the people who know f**k all about football.

2 hours ago, Miguel Simao said:

1466717189_tierney2-0city.thumb.jpg.2e171a7329f736105129652af6909eb0.jpg

Tierney to the P&B haters..  😄

Brilliant performance from him tonight, is there a general consensus that he wouldn't work well as a CB in a back four? Him alongside Cooper/Mckenna would solve a lot of positional headaches if he could perform in that position like he has for Arsenal since the restart.

I think he might end up a centre half at some point in his career, even at Arsenal. Many full backs turned into good centre halves, from Maldini to Jamie Carragher. It's a British myth that you need to be a big strapping lad to be a centre half. At 5 foot 10 he would need a tall partner, but Barcelona dominated Europe with a centre half an inch shorter than that. Considering our incredible weakness in that position it's definitely worth trying him there, at least in the Nations League matches.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think he might end up a centre half at some point in his career, even at Arsenal. Many full backs turned into good centre halves, from Maldini to Jamie Carragher. It's a British myth that you need to be a big strapping lad to be a centre half. At 5 foot 10 he would need a tall partner, but Barcelona dominated Europe with a centre half an inch shorter than that. Considering our incredible weakness in that position it's definitely worth trying him there, at least in the Nations League matches.

This view has some merit.

However. ideally it should happen with an experienced and dominant centre back beside him. Which right now we don't have.

Keiran Tierney paired with someone like big Colin Hendry at CB............................

Edited by Barney Rubble

5 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

This view has some merit.

However. ideally it should happen with an experienced and dominant centre back beside him. Which right now we don't have.

Keiran Tierney paired with someone like big Colin Hendry at CB............................

Hendry would be badgering him every 5 mins of the game for a loan of some cash

8 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Bit late on this one but to suggest O’Donnell is a better option than Palmer and Tierney is an absolutely wild one. 

He’s levels behind Palmer, never mind Tierney. 

This sums it up.  O’Donnell and Brophy were the nadir of Steve Clarke’s experimental phase.  Palmer, who looked as if he was growing into the role, and literally any other striker would be my preference.  

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Just a handful of the people who know f**k all about football.

Need to wait and see when the football returns, Gordon. He's doing quite well these past two pre season games though. It's looking promising! 

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's trendy to say this but it's just not true.

The number of smaller centre backs playing at a decent level in modern football is miniscule. Abroad and in the uk.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Who have managed to by being fantastic at positioning and reading the game. Had excellent speed, strength and balance. But of those very very few exceptions they would all have been even more effective had they been taller.

A big part of being a centre back is winning the ball in the air. So being taller is an obvious advantage. Obviously they need other charateristics as well. But it's a big part of the position. Which is why 99.99% of them are quite tall.

My main issue with Tierney at right back is the lack of width it will inevitably bring on the right side. If it was just him as the only left footed player on the right then it could be manageable but with Christie there cutting inside half the time too we are narrowing the pitch for ourselves a fair bit. I can't recall who was playing ahead of him in his other starts at RB.

Not sure what's happening with Palmer at the moment in the Wednesday team. He seemed to be playing as a RCB in a back 3 before his injury (according to flashscore anyway). Although over his past 14 games he's played (more than once) at LB, RB, RCB & RWB.

20 minutes ago, charger29 said:

My main issue with Tierney at right back is the lack of width it will inevitably bring on the right side. If it was just him as the only left footed player on the right then it could be manageable but with Christie there cutting inside half the time too we are narrowing the pitch for ourselves a fair bit. I can't recall who was playing ahead of him in his other starts at RB.

Not sure what's happening with Palmer at the moment in the Wednesday team. He seemed to be playing as a RCB in a back 3 before his injury (according to flashscore anyway). Although over his past 14 games he's played (more than once) at LB, RB, RCB & RWB.

Has to be Forrest for balance, I think he's close to being a nailed on starter anyway.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Cannavaro for Italy probably the prime example. Widely regarded as one of the best (if not the best) centre back of his generation was a whopping  5ft 8. 

With regards Tierney, I’ve said several times that he’d fit in well to a back three. He’s a better defender than Robertson IMO and would allow them to play left sided roles they excel and are comfortable with. The conundrum is still the right back/wing back position, but for me shoehorning Tierney in there is a waste of Tierney and upsets the balance of the team going forward.

Edited by 8MileBU

Thought Tierney was great. Nice to have two good options at left back. I am probably in the Tierney > Robertson camp but it’s not overly important. 

i was of view that playing 3cb’s isn’t a great idea when none are particularly good but a 352 might help Mcburnie also. He looks better with a man near him. Worth a look anyway. Think whatever happens we should have a decent side. For right back, I’d quite like the lad Fredericks to get a look. He’s not brilliant but in a 352 could be very handy

Has to be Forrest for balance, I think he's close to being a nailed on starter anyway.
They like to switch a fair amount though. Playing without that natural width at RB will either remove the option of inverting the wingers or it will negate the effect by not really having an overlap.
I would probably start Tierney but I don't think it's a blindingly obvious choice. Palmer or Tierney are the only options imo.

31 minutes ago, charger29 said:

They like to switch a fair amount though. Playing without that natural width at RB will either remove the option of inverting the wingers or it will negate the effect by not really having an overlap.
I would probably start Tierney but I don't think it's a blindingly obvious choice. Palmer or Tierney are the only options imo.

They can switch fine cause it would be Ryan Fraser on the other side. I think people that think Christie is starting on the basis of three decent games against Hamilton are kidding themselves on.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

This sums it up.  O’Donnell and Brophy were the nadir of Steve Clarke’s experimental phase.  Palmer, who looked as if he was growing into the role, and literally any other striker would be my preference.  

Most of O'Donnell's caps came before Clarke took over, and he was essentially the first choice already under McLeish.

Edited by craigkillie