Dundee United 2018/2019

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No you weren’t a simple predictive text correction.  Sorry to disappoint you.

No need to apologise - as a Dee I've long since accepted disappointment as being the natural state of my existence

American Investors?  I hope nobody tells homeland security that Dundee United are nicknamed the Arabs, they might think they are funding terrorists

Yawn..........at the risk of repeating myself, Dundee United are NOT nicknamed the Arabs, Dundee United are nicknamed The Terrors. The Fans of said world famous club are nicknamed the Arabs. !

Members Update 

We met with Mike Martin and Jimmy Fyffe on Thursday 13 December with the following being a summary of the meeting
Mike started by stating that as only he and Jimmy knew all the facts it was interesting but unknown what had recently created the volume of “noise” which had not emanated from them. They had, as all present knew, bought Stephen Thompson's shareholding with it being split 42.5% to Mike Martin and 42.5% being held by Jimmy Fyffe and two others. Talks were ongoing with interested parties who either wished to make an investment in Dundee United or wished to buy a majority shareholding. Mike pointed out that buying a Scottish football club was attractive as the investment required to potentially win a cup and / or take part in European competition was considerably less than if an individual or group wished to achieve the same success by purchasing an English club. Several parties had expressed an interest and four had had the talks terminated by the Board as they did not believe they were in it for the good of the club, asset striping was mentioned at this juncture but not by Mike. Due diligence had been carried out by more than one group, (some with sports interests but currently none in football) and nothing had come to light which had made any of these parties withdraw. The question as to why this process has taking so long was raised and Mike said the legal process was one reason but stressed that neither him nor Jimmy were being greedy in their part of the negotiations. Jimmy stated that all the current directors had made a significant investment in Dundee United but that none of them had “deep enough pockets” to take the club back to where they all wanted, as significant investment was required. When asked if there was a preferred bidder it became apparent that an American based bid is the preferred option. Mike stressed that this party has no links to the owners of our city rivals, and are not looking to merge or ground share at any point in the future. United have undertaken a due diligence on them. The likely timescale for a successful conclusion was said to be measured in weeks not months. Other potential owners / investors are also on the scene should these talks stall. There is no chance of administration and that is why the talks can proceed at a pace that suits both parties.

We suggested the Board should make a statement in relation to all the rumours currently circulating, which they said they would consider.
Planning for this season continues as the current Board's preferred option is to remain as shareholders after the share sale and continue to help manage United in some way. The “preferred bidder” is said to be impressed by the infrastructure the current Board has put in place and it is thought they would advance the current plans re youth development etc. rather than drastically alter these.
A question was asked if this takeover had been leaked in an attempt to sell half season tickets, a suggestion Mike totally refuted and during his answer it became known that we have sold about 100 of these books and will hopefully double that number in the days before Christmas. It was suggested that perhaps reducing the price would lead to greater sales, especially with the "new manager - feel good factor" still in place, however the Directors did not share this view. 

Recruitment was then discussed with Mike stating that he now regretted giving Csaba as long as he had but that perhaps he should have been appointed as a Director of Football as some of the changes he had made to the clubs infrastructure had received positive comments from Robbie Neilson. It was clarified that Luggy was still involved and had been involved in all the discussions prior to any player being signed albeit it is a panel decision and the decisions are by majority and don't have to be unanimous. Luggy is still scouting in England and some of his recommendations may well be signed in the summer when space will be available in the squad as some contracts terminate and others may move on.
January is likely to see a few players leave although HMRC have now closed the previous tax advantageous pay off which had been used previously. Some players who are not in the managers plans may have their contracts taken over by other clubs. Robbie Neilson has identified three positions he would wish to strengthen. Discussion then took place in relation to this and certain players and positions but it is felt unfair to disclose this detail, however your supporters club representative can discuss this with individual members should they wish.

Jimmy Fyffe confirmed that the “Sports Bar” project is advancing and it is hoped conversion works can commence soon. The financing of this project has also still to be finalised. This facility will be available to United supporters and supporters of clubs visiting Dens.

The meeting ended with thanks to Mike Martin and Jimmy Fyffe for their attendance and honest and informative update.”

1 hour ago, GFARAB82 said:

Members Update 

We met with Mike Martin and Jimmy Fyffe on Thursday 13 December with the following being a summary of the meeting
Mike started by stating that as only he and Jimmy knew all the facts it was interesting but unknown what had recently created the volume of “noise” which had not emanated from them. They had, as all present knew, bought Stephen Thompson's shareholding with it being split 42.5% to Mike Martin and 42.5% being held by Jimmy Fyffe and two others. Talks were ongoing with interested parties who either wished to make an investment in Dundee United or wished to buy a majority shareholding. Mike pointed out that buying a Scottish football club was attractive as the investment required to potentially win a cup and / or take part in European competition was considerably less than if an individual or group wished to achieve the same success by purchasing an English club. Several parties had expressed an interest and four had had the talks terminated by the Board as they did not believe they were in it for the good of the club, asset striping was mentioned at this juncture but not by Mike. Due diligence had been carried out by more than one group, (some with sports interests but currently none in football) and nothing had come to light which had made any of these parties withdraw. The question as to why this process has taking so long was raised and Mike said the legal process was one reason but stressed that neither him nor Jimmy were being greedy in their part of the negotiations. Jimmy stated that all the current directors had made a significant investment in Dundee United but that none of them had “deep enough pockets” to take the club back to where they all wanted, as significant investment was required. When asked if there was a preferred bidder it became apparent that an American based bid is the preferred option. Mike stressed that this party has no links to the owners of our city rivals, and are not looking to merge or ground share at any point in the future. United have undertaken a due diligence on them. The likely timescale for a successful conclusion was said to be measured in weeks not months. Other potential owners / investors are also on the scene should these talks stall. There is no chance of administration and that is why the talks can proceed at a pace that suits both parties.

We suggested the Board should make a statement in relation to all the rumours currently circulating, which they said they would consider.
Planning for this season continues as the current Board's preferred option is to remain as shareholders after the share sale and continue to help manage United in some way. The “preferred bidder” is said to be impressed by the infrastructure the current Board has put in place and it is thought they would advance the current plans re youth development etc. rather than drastically alter these.
A question was asked if this takeover had been leaked in an attempt to sell half season tickets, a suggestion Mike totally refuted and during his answer it became known that we have sold about 100 of these books and will hopefully double that number in the days before Christmas. It was suggested that perhaps reducing the price would lead to greater sales, especially with the "new manager - feel good factor" still in place, however the Directors did not share this view. 

Recruitment was then discussed with Mike stating that he now regretted giving Csaba as long as he had but that perhaps he should have been appointed as a Director of Football as some of the changes he had made to the clubs infrastructure had received positive comments from Robbie Neilson. It was clarified that Luggy was still involved and had been involved in all the discussions prior to any player being signed albeit it is a panel decision and the decisions are by majority and don't have to be unanimous. Luggy is still scouting in England and some of his recommendations may well be signed in the summer when space will be available in the squad as some contracts terminate and others may move on.
January is likely to see a few players leave although HMRC have now closed the previous tax advantageous pay off which had been used previously. Some players who are not in the managers plans may have their contracts taken over by other clubs. Robbie Neilson has identified three positions he would wish to strengthen. Discussion then took place in relation to this and certain players and positions but it is felt unfair to disclose this detail, however your supporters club representative can discuss this with individual members should they wish.

Jimmy Fyffe confirmed that the “Sports Bar” project is advancing and it is hoped conversion works can commence soon. The financing of this project has also still to be finalised. This facility will be available to United supporters and supporters of clubs visiting Dens.

The meeting ended with thanks to Mike Martin and Jimmy Fyffe for their attendance and honest and informative update.”

Not being funny but when we came 3rd, won the cup and got into Europe did we not make a £70,000 loss?  I distinctly remember the European ties vs Athens and Slask costing the club more than it made. 

As much as i hope they invest tons of cash i cant understand why someone would do so in Scottish football. Well, someone from another continent with no ties to the club. They cant be looking to make money...?

Surely they could just spend a fraction of the money on coke and hookers and have more fun?

22 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Not being funny but when we came 3rd, won the cup and got into Europe did we not make a £70,000 loss?  I distinctly remember the European ties vs Athens and Slask costing the club more than it made. 

As much as i hope they invest tons of cash i cant understand why someone would do so in Scottish football. Well, someone from another continent with no ties to the club. They cant be looking to make money...?

Surely they could just spend a fraction of the money on coke and hookers and have more fun?

Fair point time will tell and maybe if we make this new 3rd Comp we might get regionalised ties early rounds and more lucrative games if stay in long enough, as they say to make an omelette you must break some eggs buddy 

22 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Fair point time will tell and maybe if we make this new 3rd Comp we might get regionalised ties early rounds and more lucrative games if stay in long enough, as they say to make an omelette you must break some eggs buddy 

8 hours ago, GFARAB82 said:

Talks were ongoing with interested parties who either wished to make an investment in Dundee United or wished to buy a majority shareholding. Mike pointed out that buying a Scottish football club was attractive as the investment required to potentially win a cup and / or take part in European competition was considerably less than if an individual or group wished to achieve the same success by purchasing an English club.

Several parties had expressed an interest and four had had the talks terminated by the Board as they did not believe they were in it for the good of the club, asset striping was mentioned at this juncture but not by Mike. 

Are our investors just looking to "win a cup and / or take part in European competition"?  Surely there are far cheaper European leagues to buy success in!?  It may not be a widely held view, but I would much prefer investors who have a long-term view, ensuring there is no risk to the club's future etc.

And asset stripping was mentioned?!  That's more than slightly concerning...

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Are our investors just looking to "win a cup and / or take part in European competition"?  Surely there are far cheaper European leagues to buy success in!?  It may not be a widely held view, but I would much prefer investors who have a long-term view, ensuring there is no risk to the club's future etc.

It depends on what MMs view of "long term view ensuring no risk" is. Remember, this is the idiot that left Csaba in charge and thought he would turn it round. I dont trust him to pick a good flavour of crisps never mind a good investor.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

It depends on what MMs view of "long term view ensuring no risk" is. Remember, this is the idiot that left Csaba in charge and thought he would turn it round. I dont trust him to pick a good flavour of crisps never mind a good investor.

To be fair to Martin, his background is in finances rather than football. Hopefully his judgement on a matter like this has slightly more grounding than his handling of Laszlo.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I'd say it was reassuring rather than concerning. At least he is actually recognising that some people will roll up with bad intentions and do his homework on them. Football fans are blind at the best of times and someone rolling up with "Wealth off the radar" tends to get fans excited.

We're in the same position and our chairman has knocked back several interested parties as he didn't trust them

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Can’t say I’m overly happy with this but it is what it is.

I hope my pessimism is proven wrong.

Would you have preferred that we continue losing £30k a week and continue to be run by a guy who does not have the "personal wealth" required to get us out of this poxy tinpot league.

Don't get me wrong I'd love some billionaire lifelong Arab to stroll in and turn us into the Man City of the north but in the real world that's never happening.

The fact that Jimmy Fyffe (a lifelong Arab) is remaining on the board fills me with a bit of confidence...

Delighted MM is away. A huge part of our downfall...Good fuckin riddance!!

Edited by Ralphies_Chip

Guest bernardblack

Why are they investing in United? Not trying to slag them off or anything, it just seems odd and slightly worrying from an outsider point of view

Going by his history with businesses he's akin to an petrol station owning ET. 

His former company Croix oil held the distribution contracts for a few southern states for BP, Exxon etc. 

Don't think he's ridiculously wealthy but he owns a few baseball and hockey teams as well so he's got a bit of experience in owning clubs. 

3 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Why are they investing in United? Not trying to slag them off or anything, it just seems odd and slightly worrying from an outsider point of view

That’s my concern.  I don’t see why anyone who isn’t a fan would want to buy a Scottish Football club.