Dundee United 2018/2019

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Dundee United were originally Dundee Hibernian (a fact I thought you might know given your username) and were formed by Irish Catholic immigrants.  In the earliest days supported by largely Irish/Catholic supporters.  The name change was, in part, to attract a support beyond that initial base.

Granny, the club was formed by people from the city who had Irish backgrounds, not all immigrants, and I've never read from any source their religion. 

The appeal of the club was limited due to the name they had chosen, and when the post WW1 situation in Ireland escalated, the name was eventually changed.

It appears to be supposition that the club's founders held certain religious beliefs.  But from what I've read, that's all it is, an assumption. Maybe you can point me to credible sources to support your theory?

As an aside, as an atheist, I don't give two fucks what religion any of these people were.

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Granny, the club was formed by people from the city who had Irish backgrounds, not all immigrants, and I've never read from any source their religion. 

The appeal of the club was limited due to the name they had chosen, and when the post WW1 situation in Ireland escalated, the name was eventually changed.

It appears to be supposition that the club's founders held certain religious beliefs.  But from what I've read, that's all it is, an assumption. Maybe you can point me to credible sources to support your theory?

As an aside, as an atheist, I don't give two fucks what religion any of these people were.

There’s plenty of evidence to show that a significant majority of Irish immigrants where Catholic and for those who settled in Dundee this would have increased to overwhelming majority.

Of course the man mainly credited with founding the club, Pat Reilly, was actually a Sikh.

I’m also an atheist but that’s not what we’re arguing about.

There’s plenty of evidence to show that a significant majority of Irish immigrants where Catholic and for those who settled in Dundee this would have increased to overwhelming majority.
Of course the man mainly credited with founding the club, Pat Reilly, was actually a Sikh.

I don't know about Pat Reilly, But I felt Sikh Mosta last season watching that pish.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Morning Granny. No evidence from credible sources then: RangersMedia or Follow Follow don't count.

I mention my atheism to indicate I have no religious agenda, which is more relevant than the mocking reference you make to Reilly being a Sikh.

We're not arguing about evidence showing a majority of Irish immigrants to Dundee being Catholic either. 

This is the part on which we diverge:

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Dundee United ..................................... were formed by Irish Catholic immigrants. 

Dundee Hibernian was formed by members of the local Irish community after the earlier demise of Dundee Harp FC. ‘The Harp’ had been established as early as 1879 to represent the then large Irish Catholic community of Dundee, following the example of the leaders of similar communities in Edinburgh who founded Hibernian in 1875.

Edit : http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/1900-1909/1909-dundee-hibernian

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Possibly. I have been drinking and am half a glass of red away from sticking on the wolftones album.

C’mon you black and tan(gerine)s come and fight me like man...

2 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

So did any of Ireland's 300,000 or so protestants (at the time of DHFC's formation) migrate to Scotland and and become involved in association football, or not? Does anyone even care, save for Gammon Danger?

They formed Dundee...

14 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

They formed Dundee...

I'm thinking Celtic. Their founder was named Brother Walfrid after all.

Back on topic. Can't decide if the new owner has more money than sense, or not much money and even less sense. Either way, he doesn't appear to know what he's getting involved in.

1 hour ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Dundee Hibernian was formed by members of the local Irish community after the earlier demise of Dundee Harp FC. ‘The Harp’ had been established as early as 1879 to represent the then large Irish Catholic community of Dundee, following the example of the leaders of similar communities in Edinburgh who founded Hibernian in 1875.

Edit : http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/1900-1909/1909-dundee-hibernian

That is factually correct, as Pat Reilly's Dundee Hibernian was formed after Harp had disappeared. Harp, with committee men such as Rev Monseignor Clapperton and Fathers Harris, Holder and Van de Rydt, had catered to represent the Irish Catholic community.

Pat Reilly was 4 or 5 when Harp was formed. They went out of business 15 years before Dundee Hibernian was formed in 1909. There ws no connection, as there was also no connection between Reilly's club and a previous side called Dundee Hibernian.

1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

According to ‘Rags to Riches’ , if I remember correctly, there were no Catholics on the forming board when we were established as Dundee Hibernian. I might be wrong but I’m not really bothered either way.

The Dundee Hibernian board may have had a mixture of religions. It's insignificant one way or another, but the club had no connections to any church or political organisation, although Pat Reilly was prominent in the Liberal movement. 

'Rags to Riches' is the official history of the club. I'd be happy to accept that as a credible source.

The aspect which bothers me is fans of our own club assuming the genesis in 1909 was based on religious lines. Several posters affiliated to United on this board are under this misconception, perhaps to the extent of being suspicious of Mark Ogren and his mention of an Irish background. 

Anyway football.

Are there any examples of this model working anywhere ( not in EPL where you get millions handed on a plate)

Given folk were almost in tears that ST took a wage from the club what will they think when the new owners want their cut of whatever meagre profit we would ever make?