Dundee United 2018/2019

United having Irish roots is only contentious if you are the sort of idiot who has a problem with that yourself. 

The city of Dundee was only second to Liverpool in the proportion of Irish born residents we had by the turn of the last century. Most folk in Dundee who have anything negative to say about it would probably pretty upset to find out where their great granny/ grandad was from.

If it is "contentious" in modern day Scotland that is down to a particular type of person with particular views and i don't see why we should hide or not talk about it to avoid upsetting them.

I'm not saying we have to go down the Celtic route of getting involved in anything that has happened in the last century but the club and the city should be fully aware and proud of who we came from.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

United having Irish roots is only contentious if you are the sort of idiot who has a problem with that yourself. 

The city of Dundee was only second to Liverpool in the proportion of Irish born residents we had by the turn of the last century. Most folk in Dundee who have anything negative to say about it would probably pretty upset to find out where their great granny/ grandad was from.

If it is "contentious" in modern day Scotland that is down to a particular type of person with particular views and i don't see why we should hide or not talk about it to avoid upsetting them.

I'm not saying we have to go down the Celtic route of getting involved in anything that has happened in the last century but the club and the city should be fully aware and proud of who we came from.

F*ck off.  I’ve supported United for over 50 years without having to consider their Irish roots.  It’s completely irrelevant and there is no need to refer to it at all.

53 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Entirely this. 

My love of United has and will never be framed in the context of the clubs roots and I doubt there's many out there that even consider this. 

The club should definitely nod to the origins and history but I don't think it needs to be any more than that. 

Nae need for plastic-paddyism but recognition of where its came from is appropriate. 

16 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's hardly 'irrelevant' if it is a fact. How far back in history are we allowed to go? 

It doesn't mean we have to trumpet about it, and I'd always rather look forward, while keeping in mind achievements, failures and events of the past.

1979.  Danger insists anything before that doesn’t count.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

F*ck off.  I’ve supported United for over 50 years without having to consider their Irish roots.  It’s completely irrelevant and there is no need to refer to it at all.

Its quite alright for you to give it no consideration and to think it's completely irrelevant. 

If you have a problem with other people speaking about, wish to hide it or are embarrassed by it that's your problem.  I'm sorry our club and city's multi-cultural past and present is difficult for you.

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Its quite alright for you to give it no consideration and to think it's completely irrelevant. 

If you have a problem with other people speaking about, wish to hide it or are embarrassed by it that's your problem.  I'm sorry our club and city's multi-cultural past and present is difficult for you.

:lol: That’s some stretch.

Looks like he’s referring to the city rather than the club.  
I don’t really want anyone raising the ‘Irish roots’ issue, particularly the new owner.  Hopefully someone will explain that this can be an emotive issue and potentially divisive issue for those who choose to make it so.

It is part of your history though. And no bad thing surely?

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

As an Irish Catholic from Glasgow, I can safely say one of the reasons I support United is to get away from all that pish

Fair enough, Mark, I don't like what I assume to be 'that pish' either: but why mention 'Catholic'? United don't have a Catholic background.

They do have origins in the Irish community, the forebears of whom settled in Dundee.

11 minutes ago, Daydream said:

It is part of your history though. And no bad thing surely?

I’m not saying it’s bad, I’m saying it’s irrelevant.  

The context of this discussion is remarks made by a guy who has just but a football club in a country he seems to have little knowledge of and the for whom the whole ‘Irish roots’ issue is lost upon.  I would far prefer he concentrated on matters more important to the club than this.

6 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Fair enough, Mark, I don't like what I assume to be 'that pish' either: but why mention 'Catholic'? United don't have a Catholic background.

They do have origins in the Irish community, the forebears of whom settled in Dundee.

This is either a wind up or shows an incredible level of ignorance.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

No wind up, Granny.

Perhaps you can enlighten me?

Dundee United were originally Dundee Hibernian (a fact I thought you might know given your username) and were formed by Irish Catholic immigrants.  In the earliest days supported by largely Irish/Catholic supporters.  The name change was, in part, to attract a support beyond that initial base.