Dundee United 2018/2019

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Also said Aird has signed for Utd (not sure if he has been unveiled?). 

Thought it would have been announced today. Maybe the **** pleading with him not to sign for United on Twitter has worked.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Did he say that? 

And no, you didn't mention Dundee United, instead you quoted and explicitly agreed with someone else who was referencing United. You can see why that silly comment about 'massive open trials' could be construed as a reference to United. In the United thread, in a conversation about United.

Yes he did. I even quoted the post in question in my original reply so I imagine you can see it there yourself.  I didn't raise the issue of open trials, I involved myself in a debate between two non-United supporters about how normal or otherwise such a thing is (it's not remotely "normal" not matter what Random Guy says). I'm entitled to do that. It's an open forum and there's nothing saying I have to reference Dundee United in every post on the Dundee United thread.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes he did. I even quoted the post in question in my original reply so I imagine you can see it there yourself.  I didn't raise the issue of open trials, I involved myself in a debate between two non-United supporters about how normal or otherwise such a thing is (it's not remotely "normal" not matter what Random Guy says). I'm entitled to do that. It's an open forum and there's nothing saying I have to reference Dundee United in every post on the Dundee United thread.

Nah, you rather misrepresented what he said. What he said - and what you quoted - was that the best trialists would be mixed into a trial game against the actual squad. "Game", singular. You deliberately - and with likely malicious intent, I'd wager - misrepresented this as "massive open trials" with "teams of trialists" to try to make Random Guy look like a boring, uninformed blowhard. That's unfair.

Please don't take this as a criticism of your choice of forum, btw. I will defend to the death (not mine) your right to post whatever you like, wherever you like, no matter how dishonest, half-baked or frankly scandalous those posts may be. You crack on.

20 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nah, you rather misrepresented what he said. What he said - and what you quoted - was that the best trialists would be mixed into a trial game against the actual squad. "Game", singular. You deliberately - and with likely malicious intent, I'd wager - misrepresented this as "massive open trials" with "teams of trialists" to try to make Random Guy look like a boring, uninformed blowhard. That's unfair.

Please don't take this as a criticism of your choice of forum, btw. I will defend to the death (not mine) your right to post whatever you like, wherever you like, no matter how dishonest, half-baked or frankly scandalous those posts may be. You crack on.

Well no, if you want to go back, what he posted was in reaction to a purported headline saying United were organising trial games (plural) to hunt for players.  He then said almost every club does that, usually then mixing the best of them in with the actual squad. That's not remotely the same as bringing in a few trialists to work with the squad and mix in with the squad for games. That's something much bigger with a whole stage before it. That's what I said was nonsense, and it is. Utter nonsense.

I'll grant you the word "open" wasn't actually used but I interpreted the "hunt" as implying they would be open rather than invite only. I doubt anyone is going to go to the trouble of specifically inviting more than 20 players for more than one game to have a look at them.

You feel free to "crack on" with backing up the suggestion that's a perfectly usual action for a full time professional football club to take though. (Again I have no idea if United are actually doing this, I don't know the source of the headline, I'm merely responding to the debate I've read here).

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Right lads. Fucking pipe down with the Sibbald talk. Last warning or I swear to god I will buy your club from the administrators and shut your shit down.

Charles Green found.

20 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

League Cup Group A:

Ross County

The World Famous

Arbroath

Elgin City

Alloa

Jolly good.

Some nice warm up games before next season's clusterfuck begins.

When does this start btw.?

Just worried we still won't have a team by then.:unsure2:

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well no, if you want to go back, what he posted was in reaction to a purported headline saying United were organising trial games (plural) to hunt for players.  He then said almost every club does that, usually then mixing the best of them in with the actual squad. That's not remotely the same as bringing in a few trialists to work with the squad and mix in with the squad for games. That's something much bigger with a whole stage before it. That's what I said was nonsense, and it is. Utter nonsense.

I'll grant you the word "open" wasn't actually used but I interpreted the "hunt" as implying they would be open rather than invite only. I doubt anyone is going to go to the trouble of specifically inviting more than 20 players for more than one game to have a look at them.

You feel free to "crack on" with backing up the suggestion that's a perfectly usual action for a full time professional football club to take though. (Again I have no idea if United are actually doing this, I don't know the source of the headline, I'm merely responding to the debate I've read here).

Make your mind up. Your ludicrous comments were either in relation to United or they weren't. It's no use pleading that you weren't talking about United and then citing a newspaper article about United.

On the substantive point, I've no opinion nor interest in whether what United are doing - or not - is usual. That's a debate to be had by more boring people than I (if you can imagine such a thing). I was simply querying your reference to 'massive open trials'.

P.S. top marks for effort in seeking to equate a 'hunt' for players with open trials. 

P.P.S. Also, more than twenty players. Ooooft. I can't wait to see where you're going to go next with this.

P.P.P.S. You're maybe taking that headline a little literally. Bless. Not that you were talking about United anyway.

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Make your mind up. Your ludicrous comments were either in relation to United or they weren't. It's no use pleading that you weren't talking about United and then citing a newspaper article about United.

On the substantive point, I've no opinion nor interest in whether what United are doing - or not - is usual. That's a debate to be had by more boring people than I (if you can imagine such a thing). I was simply querying your reference to 'massive open trials'.

P.S. top marks for effort in seeking to equate a 'hunt' for players with open trials. 

P.P.S. Also, more than twenty players. Ooooft. I can't wait to see where you're going to go next with this.

P.P.P.S. You're maybe taking that headline a little literally. Bless. Not that you were talking about United anyway.

Well said, that individual gave me a lot of abuse the last time we were in the fun league.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Right lads. Fucking pipe down with the Sibbald talk. Last warning or I swear to god I will buy your club from the administrators and shut your shit down.

If you can buy rangers for £1 then united must be worth around 0.1p.

Good deal imo, you will face competition from Lorraine Kelly though.

What to do with the 3000 players though?