Best chip shop

NJ2

58 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

If you're ever anywhere near Settle in the Yorkshire Dales this place is well worth a visit. Either to sit in or takeaway.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186344-d2269743-Reviews-The_Fisherman-Settle_Yorkshire_Dales_National_Park_North_Yorkshire_England.html

Been there. It was exceptionally good.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Not exactly handy for you, is it.

Do you have any chippys in Michigan?

Sadly not. I have to improvise. In fact, it's practically impossible to get haddock over here and any time I have seen it, it's extortionate. I've taken to making my own square sausage too but it's never the same.

The chippy next to the shell garage is good in Blairgowrie. It:s a Chinese takeaway as well but the fish suppers are very good IMO. Which one were you on about?
I'm taking about The Chippy in the wellmeadow, fairly new place. Overpriced.

The one you are speaking about is called canton cuisine, havn't ate their since I lived on Perth road 8 years ago. Don't remember it being great but the interior is grand.

Mr Lees on the high street is good though, staff pleasant, decent prices.

Joe & Maria are retired now but other folk from their family are running it. I don’t go too often, maybe once or twice a month, but I’ve certainly no complaints. Spicy haggis supper. Salt & vinegar. Couple of pickled onions.

The only other chippy in Falkirk I’d say was definitely better and I would occasionally visit is Moscardinis.

Don’t get the love some folk have for Benny T’s. Chips have always been pale, tasteless and seem half cooked.

Benny T's is rank rotten. Best for a fish supper in the Falkirk area would be the Union in Camelon or Land and Sea in Polmont. (both fry to order)

7 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:
On 01/06/2018 at 20:40, 8MileBU said:
 Joe & Maria are retired now but other folk from their family are running it. I don’t go too often, maybe once or twice a month, but I’ve certainly no complaints. Spicy haggis supper. Salt & vinegar. Couple of pickled onions.

The only other chippy in Falkirk I’d say was definitely better and I would occasionally visit is Moscardinis.

Don’t get the love some folk have for Benny T’s. Chips have always been pale, tasteless and seem half cooked.

Benny T's is rank rotten. Best for a fish supper in the Falkirk area would be the Union in Camelon or Land and Sea in Polmont. (both fry to order)

Forgot about The Union in Camelon. It was alright, but been a long time since I had a chippy from there. Lemetti’s in Camelon was always popular from what I recall but never been. Still never tried Land & Sea either.

On 01/07/2018 at 22:40, ICTJohnboy said:

If you're ever anywhere near Settle in the Yorkshire Dales this place is well worth a visit. Either to sit in or takeaway.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186344-d2269743-Reviews-The_Fisherman-Settle_Yorkshire_Dales_National_Park_North_Yorkshire_England.html

photo0jpg.jpg

I hate how I hate fish because that looks tremendous.

43 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I hate how I hate fish because that looks tremendous.

It is tremendous. Maybe you would get to like fish if you tried this place.

Fish & chips is one of the few things  they  do well in England.......................... Well, some parts of England.

The chippy in Redding is decent as long as locals don't tan your car.  There is a newish one in Brightons called Macfarlanes which thus far has been excellent.

Duly noted.

It is tremendous. Maybe you would get to like fish if you tried this place.

Fish & chips is one of the few things  they  do well in England.......................... Well, some parts of England.

I’d love to but I very much doubt it.

9 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Just googled craigie cross chippy and it is indeed the very same mate.

Thought so. You're quite correct. It's a great chippy.

• 1 month later...

Saw a chipshop on the telly last week. I missed what it was called but it was a really old place and people thought nothing of queuing for over an hour to get served! The chips looked shite btw.

Tobys is decent enough. My parents moved up there last year, they went to the fish hoose once I think, but didnt think it was anything special.
Was in Toby's the other night actually. Was very nice I thought, and good value. Not too many sit in chippies around I don't think? Strange that such a small place as Thornton has 2 within a few hundred yards of each other.

Archived