Mexico v Scotland Sun 3rd June 2018

Enigma

Guest DAVIDB69
The good thing about all these posts is it shows for the first time in 20 years we have choices and competition for places especially in midfield. If you look at central midfield for example Armstrong McGregor Mcginn Mc tominay McArthur Cairney Mcgeogh Adam McDonald Fletcher Morrison Bannan. Then there are players who might come through for example Docherty Campbell Henderson Cadden Mallen.

Just feel we need 1 superstar like Bale and a top class manager and we would walk qualification for the Euros and prob male the World Cup to.

The last three you names are completely finished , there are a few on there who never done very much, so we don’t really have a wide choice unfortunately .

Because our standards are so low now, we push names that are just not very good . I would only have the first three anywhere near the team

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tierney is the 1% exception to the 99%. "Dross" like Crystal Palace or Fulham would comfortably beat any Scottish Premiership team, including Celtic. The levels of the leagues are so different now.
Murphy, Dorrans and Martin weren't getting a game for their teams when they came up here. Cairney and McDonald are playing every week for a reason. If they're not replicating their form for Scotland, there's clearly an issue with tactics or more likely us having clueless idiots as managers.

So? Murphy and Dorrans were only 28 and 30 last season, they were and have been at a similar or higher level than the 2 Fulham players you’ve mentioned. Top end English championship and bottom end EPL. What about Barton? Burnley player of the year when he won the Championship wasn’t he? Came up here right after it and got made to look like an absolute diddy.

The 1% exception, give everyone a break eh.

Guest DAVIDB69

One thing I do agree on is we are starting to move away from claiming that players , playing for dross live norwich, derby , Barnsley etc are playing at a high level , they really are not.

Majority of the championship are utter dross

I have now realised it’s pointless debating with him. If someone genuinely thinks that Snodgrass should be starting up front over Griffiths, and that Armstrong and McGregor shouldn’t be starting then there isn’t much point.

Tierney is the 1% exception to the 99%. "Dross" like Crystal Palace or Fulham would comfortably beat any Scottish Premiership team, including Celtic. The levels of the leagues are so different now.
Murphy, Dorrans and Martin weren't getting a game for their teams when they came up here. Cairney and McDonald are playing every week for a reason. If they're not replicating their form for Scotland, there's clearly an issue with tactics or more likely us having clueless idiots as managers.

I don’t disagree with everything your saying the Scottish league is terrible and the Celtic players are rarely tested and when the are they tend to fail the test in Europe . But Griffiths Mcgregor Forrest and Armstrong would get a game for many of the bottom half / bottom 3rd teams in the EPL but let’s be honest most top half teams aren’t going to be knocking on the door for these players and if they did want them they would put a good offer on the table that Celtic couldn’t refuse and probably double there wages.

In terms of form for Scotland though some players adapt well to international football and put in performances like Armstrong Griffiths and McGregor - I’ve yet to see this from Ritchie Cairney ( although they would be in my squad) some players excel for Scotland McFadden would be a prime example while others can’t translate there club form into playing for Scotland for example Brian McClair Matt Ritchie Tom Cairney so far.

My advice would be watch a re- run of every game in the last campaign and see who our best performing players were - Armstrong brown Griffiths Robertson Tierney.

Don’t know why McArthur gets slated on here I always think he’s been a good performer for Scotland and got us a couple of goals the last campaign to.

On 04/06/2018 at 13:12, Lurkst said:

Iceland are an even better current example.  There are instances all through history of small countries punching above their weight, even we've done it (more so in club football).

Maintaining that over a lengthy period is more of a challenge.

On 04/06/2018 at 12:50, John Lambies Doos said:

Nor are Uruguay and they have won it twice. 3 million is it?? Of course no play stations, Xboxes or ash pitches there

74 to 82 were our glory years. Everything else, and in between, has been crap with sporadic futile hope.

It's all luck. Relying on visionaries like Berti or dummies like, f**k knows who, makes no difference.

We'll stumble in to a tournament when it happens.

1 hour ago, skippy2015 said:

I don’t disagree with everything your saying the Scottish league is terrible and the Celtic players are rarely tested and when the are they tend to fail the test in Europe . But Griffiths Mcgregor Forrest and Armstrong would get a game for many of the bottom half / bottom 3rd teams in the EPL but let’s be honest most top half teams aren’t going to be knocking on the door for these players and if they did want them they would put a good offer on the table that Celtic couldn’t refuse and probably double there wages.

In terms of form for Scotland though some players adapt well to international football and put in performances like Armstrong Griffiths and McGregor - I’ve yet to see this from Ritchie Cairney ( although they would be in my squad) some players excel for Scotland McFadden would be a prime example while others can’t translate there club form into playing for Scotland for example Brian McClair Matt Ritchie Tom Cairney so far.

My advice would be watch a re- run of every game in the last campaign and see who our best performing players were - Armstrong brown Griffiths Robertson Tierney.

Don’t know why McArthur gets slated on here I always think he’s been a good performer for Scotland and got us a couple of goals the last campaign to.

I don't know if any of them would be good enough to play for an EPL team, but the fact is no EPL team appears to think so. If any PL or top half championship team wanted any of them, they'd be off like a shot.

It's really beyond me why some people on here seem to think we have Ronaldo, Messi, Agüero and Pogba at our disposal and we only haven't qualified because they weren't playing. Oh, and they're all such good players that they've been playing in the 26th best league in Europe for 4 seasons in some cases.

16 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I don't know if any of them would be good enough to play for an EPL team, but the fact is no EPL team appears to think so. If any PL or top half championship team wanted any of them, they'd be off like a shot.

It's really beyond me why some people on here seem to think we have Ronaldo, Messi, Agüero and Pogba at our disposal and we only haven't qualified because they weren't playing. Oh, and they're all such good players that they've been playing in the 26th best league in Europe for 4 seasons in some cases.

Why did Dembele leave Fulham to join Celtic then? It's not like there's a history of Celtic first team regulars who get picked week in week out leaving to go to Championship teams. Premiership teams yes but Championship not so much.

I understand the point you're trying to make but the strawman bullshit way you've gone about it is ruining whatever credibility you think it has.

He defeats himself with his own logic.  Claiming the EPL/CH dross play at a higher level than the Celtic players, yet the Celtic players play in the CL/EL every season.  They don't get that far but its still the top level.  

When you compare the 2 groups of players in a Scotland jersey, its like night and day.

3 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

The clueless idiot in question actually took Southampton to 7th in the league you've currently got a hardon for, putting a slight dent in your argument.  It's actually much more nuanced but you're too stupid to understand so blah away.

14 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

The clueless idiot in question actually took Southampton to 7th in the league you've currently got a hardon for, putting a slight dent in your argument.  It's actually much more nuanced but you're too stupid to understand so blah away.

That was 15 years ago and he's done f**k all since.

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Good to see it’s not just the falkirk thread this Edibairn c**t pollutes with his absolute drivel. This 26th best league patter is horrendous. I’d love him to name me a EPL Scottish XI

The Scottish Prem is officially the 24th best league in Europe according to UEFA.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

58 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He defeats himself with his own logic.  Claiming the EPL/CH dross play at a higher level than the Celtic players, yet the Celtic players play in the CL/EL every season.  They don't get that far but its still the top level.  

When you compare the 2 groups of players in a Scotland jersey, its like night and day.

Yep, completely agree with you. McGregor, Armstrong and Griffiths are all world class players which is why they play for a top team. Celtic are absolutely fantastic- they completely dominated the league last season and finished far ahead of every other team. No wonder Man City and Real Madrid are fighting over all their players.

Matt Ritchie meanwhile is absolutely horrendous, which is why he's playing every week for a top half EPL team managed by an ex Real Madrid manager.  Benitez doesn't have a clue about football- everyone knows James Forrest is a far better player. The fact he couldn't even get a game for Celtic 2 seasons ago just proves this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2018 at 17:08, EdiBairn said:

Utter nonsense. If the 'Celtic lads' are so much better, how come they're playing at a far lower level than the players you've just mentioned?

If they're not playing well for Scotland, the tactics and management have to be questioned. A right winger playing for a team that finished 10th in the 2nd best league in Europe  is going to be a better player than one playing(or not playing) at right wing for a team in the 26th best, 99 times out of 100.

Too many on here have bought into the media hype regarding Celtic and their players. They finished 9 points ahead of a team with a fifth of their budget in the 26th best league in Europe, and have been absolutely pumped any time they've come up against a decent team. Their players aren't world beaters.

I'm just glad that Stuart Armstrong instantly became good enough for Scotland yesterday.

Archived