Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

I'm probably in the minority, but I definitely think that's the way the handball rule should be applied.

VAR definitely takes slightly too long, but I definitely think it's an overall positive in the game, it was applied well for Porto's penalty, although I think Roma should have been given one at the death.

It should just be an extra official that makes the decision in the booth, although that might cause issues with the referee looking to be undermined.

On the handball, natural position, must be deliberate bollocks, I havent seen it mentioned here that the boy had his back to the ball. Surely once you do that and it strikes your arm you are taking a much bigger chance.

Have they not changed the wording of the handball rule?

It's no longer about being deliberate per say, but now depends on if their arm is "outwith a natural silhouette".

FWIW I thought it was a penalty, and I think the defender did too.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have they not changed the wording of the handball rule?

It's no longer about being deliberate per say, but now depends on if their arm is "outwith a natural silhouette".

FWIW I thought it was a penalty, and I think the defender did too.

That change won't come in until the summer. I also thought it was a penalty, but I didn't think it was enough of a major error for VAR to overturn the referee's original decision.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2594607.html

Real Madrid CF – AFC Ajax
Ball in/out of play - 62’
There was no conclusive evidence that the ball would have been entirely out of play from all video angles and images that were carefully analysed by the VAR.
The assistant referee, who was perfectly positioned, had adjudged that the whole ball had not fully crossed the touchline. No on-field review was therefore required. Consequently, the referee was right not to intervene and to allow the goal.

Paris Saint-Germain – Manchester United FC
Penalty award - 90'
The VAR, after checking various different angles available to him, recommended to the referee an on-field review following the penalty area incident.
Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play (referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol) an on-field review was conducted.
Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected. The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick. 
All the above-mentioned decisions were made in full compliance with the VAR protocol.

The official reasons for the midweek VAR decisions.  

Kimpembe's some guy. A ball is fired in his direction and in the .25 of a second it took to travel the 5 yards he had the time to work out that he needed to jump, partially turn his back, while deliberately placing his arm in a position that would stop the ball and at the same time make it look like he didn't mean it. Chapeau Presnel.

Edited by 7-2

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That would be Briton Rab.

I am not some glory hunting twat that has an English team as my ‘2nd team’. I hate that pish.

I should have just stuck with Brit GB ... :)

Glad to hear it can’t stand that either. 

11 minutes ago, The OP said:

Of course all proper Liverpool supporters love it when Man Utd win.

Don’t let my wee midweek wind up of Scotland’s Sky Sports experts blur the lines :lol:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2594607.html

Real Madrid CF – AFC Ajax
Ball in/out of play - 62’
There was no conclusive evidence that the ball would have been entirely out of play from all video angles and images that were carefully analysed by the VAR.
The assistant referee, who was perfectly positioned, had adjudged that the whole ball had not fully crossed the touchline. No on-field review was therefore required. Consequently, the referee was right not to intervene and to allow the goal.

Paris Saint-Germain – Manchester United FC
Penalty award - 90'
The VAR, after checking various different angles available to him, recommended to the referee an on-field review following the penalty area incident.
Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play (referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol) an on-field review was conducted.
Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected. The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick. 
All the above-mentioned decisions were made in full compliance with the VAR protocol.

The official reasons for the midweek VAR decisions.  
Kimpembe's some guy. A ball is fired in his direction and in the .25 of a second it took to travel the 5 yards he had the time to work out that he needed to jump, partially turn his back, while deliberately placing his arm in a position that would stop the ball and at the same time make it look like he didn't mean it. Chapeau Presnel.

The reaction time thing is a very dodgy thing to bring into this, IIRC the top F1 drivers have a reaction time of about 0.2 to 0.3 seconds when waiting for the lights to turn green at the start of a race. So for them to infer that Kimpembe had enough time (0.2 - 0.3 seconds) to react to the ball is baffling.

3 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

We may have seen the end of his total domination of the Champions League, but I’d like to show my appreciation to the greatest player this competition has ever seen. Absolute monster.

Worst bait ever.

Nobody has performed better, or has a better record than Cristiano Ronaldo in the Champions League. Ever.
Leaving aside the utterly predictable arguement that will come, this isnt arguable. The way he has been able to raise his and consequently Real Madrids game in the big moments has been fucking nuts. The true definition of a big game player and never more so than the big European games. And lets not forget that he was outstanding for Man U in Europe too.