Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

1 hour ago, Mastermind said:

City absolutely destroying the Bundesliga outfit 10 (TEN) - 2 on aggregate.

Just in from the Berwick game ... the English side flexing their muscle again. (Man City not Berwick). Let’s hope it continues tomorrow night - nervous already ! 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Guest DAVIDB69
Anybody that tries to say Cristiano Ronaldo is not the greatest player to ever play the game is a troll. 

Not even remotely close to it

9 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Anybody that tries to say Cristiano Ronaldo is not the greatest player to ever play the game is a troll. 

I prefer watching Messi, but Ronaldo has an obscene knack of being able to drag teams through games. 

Have to say though, two goals from a header and a penalty he didn't win, doesn't scream individual brilliance...

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have to say though, two goals from a header and a penalty he didn't win, doesn't scream individual brilliance...

What does it matter how he scores the first 2 goals?  I'd argue that a lot of other players wouldn't have scored both of those goals.

What does it matter how he scores the first 2 goals?  I'd argue that a lot of other players wouldn't have scored both of those goals.
Anyone dismissing the quality of a goal on the sole basis that its a header is pretty clearly trolling.

IMG_2118.jpg.30cd3462c3d3696326e3d36b511f1674.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg.2fa754b462832a720a0a29e6f261260c.jpg

We may have seen the end of his total domination of the Champions League, but I’d like to show my appreciation to the greatest player this competition has ever seen. Absolute monster.

I doff my cap to you sir, you said all that before last nights game. Not only did his team go through but it was all his own doing. Enjoy your day.

That first header was ridiculously good, and I dare say the vast majority of players wouldn't be able to do what he did. He's the best header of a ball I've seen. Why is this put down as a mark against him?

He's been the best player in the CL. You can argue about who's better between him and Messi, but in the CL, there is no argument to be had. He's owned this tournament for years.

On the second goal, does anyone else find it slightly disconcerting that they didn't actually show that the ball was over the line at any point? They showed the original footage from several angles, but then when they went to show the Goal Decision System, they changed from "real life" to "cartoon" just before looking at the ball (and even the cartoon had a slightly funny angle).

I'm not suggesting that the ball wasn't in (even though it didn't look in to the naked eye), but not showing the actual live shot leaves things open to manipulation.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Which two teams go through this evening?
Two straight forward home wins?

I hope Barcelona go through, I'm not really bothered about the other tie who goes through. Liverpool going through could potentially end their PL hopes considering all that's gone on recently so them going forward to the next tie is quite appealing although equally, getting knocked out by Bayern would be funny too.  Bayern are just so boring though. 

23 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Which two teams go through this evening?
Two straight forward home wins?

Both home sides are favourites after the first legs. 0-0 wasn’t the worst result but the 1st leg felt like a missed opportunity for Liverpool. A big performance needed tonight !

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Don’t think banners around Everton not competing in Europe are that great considering the history tbh. 

Agreed ali it is rubbing it in a bit on top of all the lowly finishes.  

Edited by Rab B Nesbit